Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349732 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10875 on: January 17, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »

Oh, Chino - I read that at first as Chico.  I was wondering what sort of masochist would go on a 1000mi round trip over a 3day weekend.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10876 on: January 19, 2012, 03:06:42 am »

Today I'm gonna send out notes to my daughter's classmates that her birthday party is cancelled. Two RSVP'd regrets, two didn't respond, and the one who responded affirmatively emailed today to let me know that they all have the stomach 'flu.

So, that happened.

Shit.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10877 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:19 am »

Damn, that's a suck. How aware was she of birthday party happeningness?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10878 on: January 19, 2012, 03:35:16 pm »

Damn, that's a suck. How aware was she of birthday party happeningness?

She had picked out the party goods and handed out the invitations at school. I think she's going to notice, but don't think she's going to cry. Anyway, she's only (almost) four. She's got lots of years of birthday parties ahead of her. I think it's more upsetting for me than it will be for her, because I lived through middle school.

We're having a large family shindig on Sunday, she'll be happy enough about that. And maybe we'll take her someplace special on Saturday -- maybe I'll take her up to Snip-Its and she can get a kiddie pedicure. She'd dig that, and she needs her bangs trimmed anyway.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10879 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »

I guess postponement isn't considered good form?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10880 on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:47 am »

...host a huge event for 18 yr old Foster Kids after much planning.  Lots of work, and today was a 12+ hour day (again) in order to make it all happen. 

There is almost nothing nicer than putting smiles on the face of kids who've had the short end of the stick for too long.  It's also nice to tell them they're worth something, and that they can succeed at something, and that there are people who believe in them.  And to feed them really nice, fancy food.  And to give them a bunch of free stuff. 

I also got and gave a lot of hugs today, and got to give a few younger kids some balloons.

Got to see a foster dad weep for love of his foster daughter and speak of the courage she had to disclose the abuse of her and her siblings, which brought them into his life.  Beautiful.  This one girl, who I had a big hand in saving from horrible abuse and neglect (forced to sleep in animal feces and urine, plus much worse stuff I won't get into) was there, and she just kept hugging me and smiling so big, and she had all these wonderful people there who are there for her and care about her and keep her safe and well.

Lots of complex emotions today, as well as some simple, pure ones.  I have a lot to process.  I'm also too tired to sleep.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10881 on: January 20, 2012, 06:44:57 am »

watched the entire first season of Downton Abbey. 7 hours of pretentious British people (or, is it not Pretentious when you are a literal Lord?) and snotty servants. I just wish my take-out Chicken and Dumplings had lasted 7 hours too, and I would be a fully healed man.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10882 on: January 20, 2012, 05:35:06 pm »

sMells, dude, for serious. You're inspirational. Unfortunately, you lap my entire life's worth of good deeds pretty much every day, so I'm kind of losing ground here.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10883 on: January 20, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »

Nabu, all we can do is do the best we can and feel fortunate that we have sMells to pick up our slack.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10884 on: January 20, 2012, 07:39:59 pm »

Right now I'm drinking a fine mix of coco and booze as a means of treating myself right.  There's a kitty on my left leg purring and another just to my left.  All is well with the world.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10885 on: January 20, 2012, 07:55:09 pm »

I guess postponement isn't considered good form?

This group of parents doesn't even go to the school-sponsored playgroup/special ed support group. I'm the only one from this particular class that attends -- all the other parents are from another school. So postponement would only lead to further headache and disappointment, I fear.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10886 on: January 20, 2012, 10:33:57 pm »

hosss get colic? That sucks. I had a joke here, but shit, your hoss has colic.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10887 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:46 am »

Today I am going to book a week in Hawaii for the end of April. I want to say this will be the biggest vacation we've had since January 2008, because I distinctly remember watching the Bolts beat the Colts in the playoffs from our hotel room in Mexico just before we went to check out (of course, that could have been '09, too).

The missus is pretty thrilled.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10888 on: January 21, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »

Did I mention I have cats? Sometimes the one pukes and I have to clean it up.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10889 on: January 21, 2012, 07:33:38 pm »

That's pretty amazing, Ash.  Are you self taught in animal husbandry?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 878   Go Up