Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349121 times)

0 Members and 201 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10995 on: February 19, 2012, 11:16:29 pm »

Presidents weekend isn't a long one for you, Cort? Whatta ya work for, a bunch of commies?

(big HI-5's to all the good quiche stuff, that is dandy)

We don't close for any of the "fake" holidays (Columbus, Veterans, Presidents). We used to not get MLK off but people complained. Though it is the only holiday where we don't close early the day before. So it is treated differently.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10996 on: February 20, 2012, 02:20:58 am »

I haven't had a holiday in at least 15 years. My first job up here they did pay extra for holidays, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10997 on: February 20, 2012, 07:21:01 am »

Two on two off is a total thing of circumstances though. That, and having to ship you in like canned goods.

Oddly, people still ask me if I have holidays off. I don't even know how that would work. It's like asking Lprkn if he gets them off.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10998 on: February 20, 2012, 02:06:45 pm »

Weirdly, I have hardly ever had a job with normal holidays off, despite how different my jobs have been. As a college professor I worked at a place that had classes on Monday holidays and pretended to move all those days off to the week between Christmas and New Years. As a zookeeper of course animals eat and shit every day regardless, so no holidays of any kind. Now although I only work two half days at the store, unfortunately one of those days is Monday, and we are open on Monday holidays. And of course as a freelancer if I have either a deadline or an idea that might turn into work, it doesn't even matter what day of the week it is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #10999 on: February 20, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »

We get six "real" holidays (New Years, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Thanx, Xmas), and then four "floating" holidays you can take whenever you want. If you work on a client site that is closed on days like today, you are encouraged to take the floating holidays on those days. But if you work in a company office, you can work on the pseudo-holidays and just use the floaters like regular vacation. I like that, because days like today the office is relatively quiet and I can get some damn work done.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11000 on: February 20, 2012, 02:59:12 pm »

I've been writing a lot.

If I go to bed working on something in my head, chances are I'll wake up at 4 or 5 and start thinking about it again.

I won't return to sleep.  This has been unpleasant.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11001 on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »

I keep a pad of paper on the nightable and when this happens I write down a few notes about the stuff I wake up thinking about and often this allows me to go back to sleep again.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11002 on: February 20, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »

I get the "mandatory" holidays, plus earned hours of "Paid Time Off", which accumulates at about 4hrs/week, and caps at 200 hours.  The week between Christmas and New Year's is a "manufacturing shutdown", so 40 accumulated hours needs to go there, otherwise the time is mine to use as I see fit.  Sick days are part of it though, including sick days for kids.  Its all pretty honor system though.  Its not like we have forensic accountants going over the books.  I log half-days or longer, but if I need to go to the dentist's office or something I don't need to account for it. Provided no one abuses the system too much I hope it continues that way. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11003 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:25 pm »

Lemme see here.  We get New Years(2 days), MLK, Good Friday(half-day), Memorial, Labor, Independence, Veterans, Thanksgiving, Christmas(2 days), Election day (half-day) and Presidential election day (whole day (Woo-hoo, extra holiday this year!)).

And I accrue 1 sick day per month.

Also 1.5 vacation days per month (which will rise to 1.75 when I get 15 years in, and 2.0 when I get 20 years in.)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11004 on: February 21, 2012, 12:19:45 am »

I love the simplicity of it. Either you have the time for whatever or you don't. None of this juggling different categories of time nonesuch.

straightup PTO is genius.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11005 on: February 21, 2012, 01:05:15 am »

I keep a pad of paper on the nightable and when this happens I write down a few notes about the stuff I wake up thinking about and often this allows me to go back to sleep again.

Ahhh  I will scratch that itch!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11006 on: February 21, 2012, 01:51:15 am »

A) I'm on nights, so I sleep for shit. Some nights I only get two hours of sleep and can't get back to sleep. I don't think a pad of paper would fix that, but I can try.

B) No holidays. No vacation. No PTO, sick days, birthday pay, whatever. I'm cool with it, I just can't imagine what that would be like. What I'm not really cool with is spending two weeks in a tiny bed by myself. That part is straight-up bullshit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11007 on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:50 am »

Pedro's company -- which, as I've said before, was voted the #1 best workplace in the States the last 2 years in a row -- has a ridiculous amount of vacation. He gets 10 days, and when he's been there 10 years it will go up to 15, and 20 days after 20 years I think. He also gets off all the usual holidays -- not President's Day, but Memorial, Labor, Independence, MLK, and Thanksgiving & Black Friday --  and the whole week between Christmas and New Year's. And he gets unlimited sick/personal leave -- so, for instance, today I threw my back out and he had to come home and watch the kids, and he could do that without penalty. He can go to the dentist, take the kids to the doctor, attend an IEP meeting...basically as long as he gets his work done he can use personal leave as often as he needs to. He can also telecommute when needed if he doesn't have any meetings scheduled -- though he actually prefers to go to the office because it's nicer there.

His previous job had about 5 "we're closed" holidays -- New Year's Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Independence Day. Not Labor Day, not Memorial Day, not President's Day, etc. They had less than 10 employees so they were exempt from the "required" holidays. He also had one floating holiday, which he usually used for his birthday. And he got 10 personal days off a year -- combined vacation and sick. So we *really* appreciate the flexibility he has now.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11008 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:09 am »

He also gets off all the usual holidays -- not President's Day, but Memorial, Labor, Independence, MLK, and Thanksgiving & Black Friday --  and the whole week between Christmas and New Year's.

When Black Friday comes I'll collect everything I'm owed and before my friends find out I'll be on the road (for Paul).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11009 on: February 21, 2012, 03:10:40 am »

I can never remember how PTO works at the grocery store. I think I probably have 4 or 5 days saved up. I should use those guys.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 878   Go Up