Last night was my oldest kid's "International Festival." They had to do a project on their country of origin, and put together a poster with a map and pictures and stuff. We did Scotland and it was actually quite enjoyable working on it with her (I helped with family history, proofreading, made suggestions, etc.). Last night they had all the posters up in the cafeteria, everyone brought a food item from said countries, and there was a little talent show of traditional music and dance and stuff from those willing to do so. It was fun.
I didn't have as much time to actually look at other kids' posters as I'd have liked, but one that caught my eye was for Mississippi. Wait, that's a state, right?
Took me a moment to put it together. Say your ancestors were brought here on a boat, against their will, you might not really know for certain what country they came from. Just the continent. So you go with what you know.
Now THERE'S a kick in the teeth.