Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347371 times)

0 Members and 180 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11235 on: April 05, 2012, 06:10:29 pm »

life is a carcinogen. flavor is irreplaceable

(though i learned a great trick for faking smokey flavor on the stovetop: splash a little mezcal in what you're cooking with enough time for the alcohol to cook out)

Two years ago, I was you.

But, alas, I have succumbed to the dark side.  Yes, I get better flavor out of the charcoal.  But the gas is SO. MUCH. MORE. CONVENIENT. that I save the charcoal for the really special pieces of meat.  For a weeknight, turning on the gas and throwing on a burger or a couple of Hebrew National hot dogs just can't be beat.  Add a few hickory chips to the offhand side for some smoke and you're dang near golden.   Also, the heat is much easier to gauge and maintain at your desired level.

Nothing beats the flavor of charcoal though.  If I'm doing a leg of lamb or a Boston butt or a turkey, it's charcoal all the way.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11236 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:53 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXcibEJ1lc

ain't that hard to use the coals. don't want to spend money on that contraption? make your own out of a can from shitty coffee.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11237 on: April 05, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

ain't that hard to use the coals.

QFT. Propane is the lazy man's way to grill. Maybe you've got a problem with that, maybe you don't, but if you own up to it like the Eggman you're still fine by me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11238 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:22 pm »

man who has a microwave any more, just old fools and hipsters. i think we all know you're about zero percent hipster.

you say you want to work on your food for to make it good but you won't put that effort into your heat source except when camping? damn all you need for camping is a tripod and hangin' grate, you should already have a fire rockin.

i use one or both of my pair of standard webers whenever i grill, with jumbo lump if i can, and never match-light or fluid. you know why? because i am keeping in touch with my preindustrial ancestry
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11239 on: April 06, 2012, 03:55:33 am »

well for one this way won't kill me. and it tastes fantastic.

consider two steaks, both perfectly marbled, aged, and seasoned. one is cooked over jumbo lump charcoal, the other over propane. both are cooked perfectly, with a thin crispy crust to the exact doneness of your liking. no sauce is available because sauces are cheating.

do you seriously go for the steak cooked over propane there? because if so then wow i can't even fathom that choice but hey do you know what i'll take that one from the charcoal and you can go to town on the other.


what is it the kids say now, "smh"

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11240 on: April 06, 2012, 05:37:38 am »

man, it has been so long since I have had a grilled steak. Whenever I splurge on steak I cook it in a pan.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11241 on: April 06, 2012, 02:01:29 pm »

man, it has been so long since I have had a grilled steak. Whenever I splurge on steak I cook it in a pan.

*weeps*

Even if the weather is too shitty to grill, you must have an oven with a broiler. Please learn to use a broiler.

Please. For the children.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11242 on: April 06, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »

Don't gt me started on sauces, BBQ or otherwise. And if you reach for the Hunt's I will take your steak privileges away.

What about the fries?  Can I put ketchup on the fries?  I'll be very careful that the steak doesn't touch the ketchup.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11243 on: April 06, 2012, 05:00:52 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11244 on: April 06, 2012, 06:19:40 pm »

I just realized I lied: there is a cool steak place near my house that I went to twice in two days when my GF moved away. It is "steak," not real steak like you guys make. It is cheap, and I love it. But those steaks need a lot of A-1 on them. It makes me feel like I am in another era. It is the kind of place where the chef says "NEXT" and if you don't yell your order at him he moves on to the next person in line.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11245 on: April 06, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

around here the weather is (almost)never too shitty for grilling.  wind, rain, sleet, snow, etc.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11246 on: April 06, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »

don't burn your face/hands off, Ash. Although I guess as long as you have some appendage intact to type with it's the same to us.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11247 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »

don't burn your face/hands off, Ash. Although I guess as long as you have some appendage intact to type with it's the same to us.

+1
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11248 on: April 06, 2012, 09:05:41 pm »

i grill year-round, unless it's iced over, and then only because the lid will be frozen on the kettle. it only truly sucks when it's above 95 with our typical 80% or higher humidity
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11249 on: April 06, 2012, 09:38:12 pm »

don't burn your face/hands off, Ash.

I was at a party once and there was a guy so drunk he tried to fuck the gas heater.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 878   Go Up