Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347388 times)

0 Members and 176 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11250 on: April 06, 2012, 09:59:59 pm »

That...wow. That small glimpse into Ash's childhood...explains many things.

I still have a scar on the back of my left hand from where I swung into a kerosene heater in the bonus room of my aunt and uncle's lake house when I was 6. We were 30 miles from anything, so my parents just put some butter on it and said it would be fine.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11251 on: April 06, 2012, 10:02:58 pm »

St Louis rivals Charlotte in terms of horrific summer humidity. I don't know how those compare to Atlanta. But the fact that I moved from one place with high humidity and high pollen counts to another place with high humidity and pollen counts is pretty stupid.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11252 on: April 06, 2012, 10:13:18 pm »

I don't know who's humidity is the worst, but Houston is a humid mother fucker.  That's okay though.  I've almost convinced myself that I like it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11253 on: April 06, 2012, 11:59:39 pm »

couple years ago the sunday of labor day i cooked a paella for 70 outside on an open fire. hardwood fuel, not charcoal; we lit the fire around eleven a.m. and i started cooking at like one. it hit 95 that day and as always it was humid out as a possum's pouch. standing in the sun, circling a pan on a fire with a paddle, i lost probably five pounds in sweat, and my shins were pink for a week.

first time i've ever gotten a sunburn from a fire. with any luck, it'll be the last.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11254 on: April 07, 2012, 11:46:27 am »

when i was a kid(14 or so?) i tried to light damp charcoal.  i used a whole bottle of lighter fluid and there was a fireball.  it was rad and scary.  my eyelashes got singed; my forehead and nose got a too-much-sun-type burn.  im still alive.

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11255 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:01 pm »

hey i just heard a story on npr about the Elbonia police blotter - good thing i changed the station over in time! it feels like the author did well in high school creative writing, and kept it up for fun:

Quote
11 February, Saturday - 00:03, Officer issued a trespass advisement to a man who was no longer welcome on Unisea property. 01:33, A man who apparently had difficulty remembering he’d been told an hour earlier that he was not allowed on Unisea property returned to same and was, unsurprisingly, arrested as a result.

from http://dutchharbortelegraph.com/
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11256 on: April 07, 2012, 05:06:18 pm »

I've been busy trying to figure out what isn't grilling weather.

Dark and 15d with mustache snot-sicles? Done that already this year.

Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock? Oh hells yes that too.

Blind drunk? Preferably

Yeah, this.  A covered porch and you can grill year round!  And it's another situation where the convenience of the gas grill comes in very handy.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11257 on: April 07, 2012, 05:13:14 pm »

first time i've ever gotten a sunburn from a fire. with any luck, it'll be the last.

Pretty sure a sunburn from a fire is just called a "burn".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11258 on: April 07, 2012, 09:28:04 pm »

:)

yeah i just never touched the flame, that's the difference.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11259 on: April 08, 2012, 01:20:45 am »

Today I'm gonna see my very first monster truck rally.

I was simultaneously shocked by how much I enjoyed it and also how boring it was at some parts.

Good: motocross jump tricks, freestyle competition (wherein enormous trucks have 60 seconds to cause as much destruction as possible), ATV races augmented by white hat/black hat theater. Bad: four rounds of 15 second "races" to determine an arbitrary winner via bracketed pairs.

Danger Boy absolutely adored it, and Chaos Girl tolerated it fairly well. And I now have a favorite monster truck, which is a sentence I never thought I would ever type, ever.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11260 on: April 08, 2012, 01:25:39 am »

Choop: that means you were cooked then.  

JL:  That is so rad, I recently said to my husband that I hope to have a child that wants to go see monster trucks, because I tell myself I need an excuse.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:17:59 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11261 on: April 08, 2012, 02:19:28 am »

Pretty much precisely what AW said way back there about the charcoal/gas. I bust out the charcoal a few times a summer, particularly if I'm going to smoke up a turkey or a pork shoulder, but the convenience of gas is just too great to ignore.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11262 on: April 08, 2012, 04:35:03 am »

Today I'm gonna go to an exhibit of Norman Rockwell's work.  Apparently two and a half hours isn't enough time to see the man's work - we ended up at the gallery until they announced over a PA that they were closing and turned the lights out.  I suppose it's no surprise considering the sheer volume of work he did.  I have to admit I had somewhat dismissed him as being milquetoast prior to this, but seeing his work more broadly I really appreciate his world view - the hope for kindness, a genuine fondness for the awkward, warmth for all people.  It was surprisingly powerful - - probably the first time I teared up at a painting in my life came today looking at this painting while listening to the audio of the woman who was the model for the painting as a girl.  The painting is actually about 5 ft by 4ft, so the detail in person is much clearer.  Something about how she describes Rockwell asking her and her brother's friend if either of them had ever kissed anyone, and how, if you look closely you'll notice that the boy's lips are not in fact touching her...  Interesting too, I thought Rockwell had ignored race based on what I had seen of his work, but there's an extensive display at the exhibit of the work he did for a painting he made of three men who were killed by the KKK, which was rejected by the magazine he made it for (they used a less detailed version he had made in preparation in stead).   
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11263 on: April 08, 2012, 04:45:29 am »

got harassed by this weird dude at a concert. He came up and complimented my boots. Then he was asking me why I was fiddling with my cell phone instead of watching the band. Then he went on a thing about how he doesn't even know how to send a text message. Then, in parting, he told me that it is a disgrace to all working people that I wear work boots.

Why do I care what some drunken jackass thinks about my shoes? Even 30 seconds later I knew all sorts of things I should have said back to him, but in the moment I just said "ok" and walked away.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11264 on: April 08, 2012, 08:54:16 am »

Interesting too, I thought Rockwell had ignored race based on what I had seen of his work, but there's an extensive display at the exhibit of the work he did for a painting he made of three men who were killed by the KKK, which was rejected by the magazine he made it for (they used a less detailed version he had made in preparation in stead).

He's also responsible for this, possibly his most important painting. I had the honor of seeing it a few years ago at the MFA Houston.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 878   Go Up