Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1343884 times)

0 Members and 181 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11550 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »

Usually you can only recover in a situation like this if the damage involved was a "known hidden defect".   If the seller knows about the condition, and it's in a part of the structure that's normally hidden or very difficult to see.  Roof damage is usually right out in the open, likewise with a plastic water-catchin' box in the attic.  You might have more of a beef with your inspector, if you had an inspection done.

Yeah, that's what we figured. And it would be hard to know (let alone prove) if it was the immediate previous owner or someone before her -- the neighbors say that we're the fifth people to live here since it was built in '69. I suppose we could go after the inspector, but we probably signed something that said we wouldn't sue him if he missed anything. Either way, it just offends my sensibilities that someone would be so half-assed and lazy about something like that.

I mean, sure, it took us two years go to from "oh shit the roof leaks" to "let's replace the roof," but when we discovered the problem we tried to patch it first (which worked for a while), and then we fixed it the right way as soon as we got the money together. We didn't just cover it up and sell the damn place. Who does that? And why does God/karma/the universe let them get away with it?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11551 on: May 20, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »

And why does God/karma/the universe let them get away with it?

maybe theyre not getting away with it, but just in a way that isnt immediate and gratifying to you(legal recourse, being kicked in the shins, etc.).
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11552 on: May 20, 2012, 09:08:09 pm »

That's the most words that you've typed all at once in the last three years. Helpful ones, too.

Um, thanks?

If I get to doin' that too often it'll be too much like work.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11553 on: May 20, 2012, 09:13:02 pm »

Hardcore cleaning day. My GF and her friend were in town and commented that I live in "a boy house." I did not like that. I want to live in a Man House. A man house does not reveal its testosterone by having a kitchen filled with empty beer cans and a bathroom covered in loose pubic hair. YEAH.

Blasting some Eric B and Rakim.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11554 on: May 20, 2012, 10:19:11 pm »

I spent some time at the garden centre, some time digging in the dirt, and hopefully some time at the dog park tonight.  All in all, today has been pretty rad. 

We've got a long weekend here in Canada, what with tomorrow being Victoria Day, and it feels like summer already.  Things are rad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11555 on: May 20, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »

So strange is the way of the Canuck, what with their language of middle English spelling and holidays honoring subjugation by a foreign monarch.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:49:49 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11556 on: May 20, 2012, 11:10:38 pm »

So strange is the way of the Canuck, what with their language of middle English spelling and holidays honoring subjugation by a foreign monarch.

Yup, people in the United States would never celebrate subjugation by foreigners.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11557 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:37 pm »

VW beat me to the punch there.  You're pretty funny AC.  The thing that always strikes me as odd is that we spell it centre, but pronounce it center.  What's up with that?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11558 on: May 20, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »

I don't recall the United States ever being subjugated by Christopher Columbus. Native American Indians raising the Italian/Spanish flag on Columbus Day would be a pretty Canadian thing to do, though.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11559 on: May 21, 2012, 09:51:01 pm »

My daughter is so girly, even her puke is pink.

In other news, she's not going to school tomorrow.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11560 on: May 22, 2012, 10:44:37 pm »

Today I am going to hear someone say "Land Shark". That reference has to be 35 years old. I have a hard time believing the person who said it ever actually saw it.

SNL is evergreen. I have teenage nieces and nephews who know SNL.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11561 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:06 pm »

the neighbors say that we're the fifth people to live here since it was built in '69.

From context that seems to mean they consider this a high-turnover house. That basically blows my mind.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11562 on: May 22, 2012, 11:27:25 pm »

they're working on it

10 years ago the X prize was all about private interests putting rockets in space. Yesterday it became a reality.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11563 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28:41 am »

From context that seems to mean they consider this a high-turnover house. That basically blows my mind.

Well, this is quite an old neighborhood and about half the houses seem to be owned by their original owners. We went to high school with the children of our left-side neighbors; they've been in their house since it was built in '69. The family on the right recently sold their house after the death of the matriarch; she lived there until she was forced to go to a nursing home for the last few weeks of her life. We're just at the beginning of the point where the original owners of the houses are starting to die off and young families are moving in, which is one of the main reasons my parents and I both bought homes in this neighborhood. It's got a good blend of families with young kids and retired people my parents' age.

But, yeah -- this is the kind of neighborhood with houses that families stay in for the long haul. It's right in the center of town, tucked away behind a shopping mall; walking distance to stores and restaurants and in the immediate vicinity of three very good schools. Five owners in four decades is huge turnover for this neighborhood, but that's an aberration in the city at large -- I'd say most families move every five years around here. As a result, there's a wide range of subdivisions filled with rows of vinyl-clad boxes in a variety of price points. We really only had three or four neighborhoods to choose from that had any kind of character at all. But we couldn't be happier with where we landed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11564 on: May 25, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »

FB status update today from a high school friend who has different political views, to put it mildly.

I refuse to believe that America is tolerant or 'anti-bullying' until I see people stop tolerating the label "homophobe."


Wait, what? I don't even...
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 878   Go Up