Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341247 times)

0 Members and 135 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11580 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »

I'm going to have to catch up with you guys later. Clearly I'm not getting enough air or something. Plus the cat thing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11581 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49:18 am »

Today I told my boss I want/need to go back to working full time. Or maybe this is a mistake? I guess if I can live comfortably on 3 days a week, I should keep doing it. And find something good to do with those other 4 days a week. But several hundred extra dollars a month, now that I am used to a more frugal lifestyle, is going to be so much fun money / so much savings account money!

Second attempt at carnitas is happening tomorrow. Using a very different recipe this time, we'll see how it turns out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11582 on: June 04, 2012, 08:08:49 am »

earn your way with a full-time job. extra money on the side should go into savings and building credit. buy an xbox in a couple months if you want one, but don't splurge regularly. i tell you this as an imaginary internet friend.

in my case, i ruined my credit fifteen years ago and have since repaired it. i still can't get a goddamned credit card worth a shit, much less a fuck*ng car loan. and i'm about four months away from debt-free, albeit without much in assets (due to shitty credit). if i'd listened to my elders after college, i'd be in a much more solid fiscal place today.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11583 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »

Do you have something good to do with the other four days? Can you get an internship that is actually useful to your goals, unlike the last one? Or volunteer work?

If you can live on working 3 days a week, you should be using the rest of the time to pursue your long term goals. I speak as an imaginary internet person who has actually gotten jobs based on volunteer work (and is looking at a good chance of this happening again in a couple of months).
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11584 on: June 04, 2012, 02:59:17 pm »

As yet another imaginary internet friend, I'd suggest that if you have something worthwhile to do with the extra time, then do it.

If you don't have some project in mind already, work the hours and save some money to help support you when you do.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11585 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:47 pm »

yeah, at this point I have spent 3 months saying "I am going to find something productive to do with this extra time." I think my best bet might be to save up some money for when I inevitably quit or want to move or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11586 on: June 04, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »

"Booty-lock" sounds like a dance that would have showed up on Soul Train in the mid-80's.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11587 on: June 04, 2012, 04:57:10 pm »

Worry about some of the things you need money to acquire to survive.

Food. Shelter. A car if you need one. Health care probably. Maybe some communications services billed monthly. Paying off old debts they'll hassle you if you don't pay.

But never stress the money itself.

That is falling for the biggest Hunt's move the world can pull on you.

The money itself is just concept paper at best.

Also, Dan, you know you're gonna end up in Williamsburg when you have the bread. Embrace it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11588 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:11 pm »

man, Williamsburg is totally played out. St Louis and Detroit and Oakland are where it is at.

...but really, all of my friends are talking about moving away. Come on, guys!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11589 on: June 04, 2012, 07:31:09 pm »

I cannot imagine Oakland or Detroit being where its at.

Unless "where it's at" means being close to San Francisco while only having to pay twice the rent you should be paying instead of five times or...

Being attacked by marauding bears in an urban wasteland.

Can't speak to St. Lou but I've had college friends who lived in the other two.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11590 on: June 04, 2012, 07:58:50 pm »

I cannot imagine a place that has been over-saturated with hipsters for 10 years being "where it's at." I guess it takes all kinds.

Man, I am suddenly incredibly restless. I really need to take a road trip.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11591 on: June 04, 2012, 10:20:18 pm »

Now that's something it would be worth working and saving money for.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11592 on: June 04, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »

Ah, you don't get the full effect of laughing at fuck*ng hipsters and glomming onto the artistic endeavours their fuck*ng trust funds are fueling without going to a place where they have reached their saturation point.

Move to a place where there's just the first two hipsters and, hell, that just makes you the third.

Move to a place crawling with the creatures, you can make magic on the residual energy thrown in all directions by their folly.

You wanna throw confetti, start a parade.

You wanna collect confetti, follow two paces behind.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11593 on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »

cooking your hot dogs on the flames of hell. I get it. Just not my thing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11594 on: June 05, 2012, 12:01:15 am »

I cannot imagine Oakland or Detroit being where its at.

Unless "where it's at" means being close to San Francisco while only having to pay twice the rent you should be paying instead of five times or...

Plus Raiders fans. Yikes.

I like Oakland much more than I thought I would.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 878   Go Up