Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347343 times)

0 Members and 180 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11775 on: July 23, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »

...sort of go on a job interview, I guess?

The game store where I play has two part-time openings for evenings and weekends, and apparently the new management (which is really the old, old management, which bought the store back from the people who bought it from him ten years ago) wants people who can help manage the internet side of the business & social media stuff as well as run the register, supervise tournaments, keep things clean, handle money & bookkeeping, stock shelves, etc. Sounds like the kind of jack-of-all-trades kind of gig I love. My BFF applied for one slot and I sent an email inquiring about the other.

I went in today and the owner basically talked nonstop for 40 minutes and then shook my hand, thanked me for coming in, and said, "I'll be in touch." Which is exactly how my BFF describes her interview. I could not get a word in edgewise. He didn't ask me about my credentials, my past experience, nothing. I was able to squeeze in that I had retail experience and that I'd been freelancing as a writer for a few years, but that was all I could manage to say. Strangest interview I've ever been on.

He seems like he would be OK as a boss -- presumably he does occasionally let other people talk, and he won't even be in the store most of the time after training is complete -- but I have no idea how he's going to decide who to hire without actually hearing what the applicants have to say.

I don't know if I'll take the job even if it's offered -- if they don't offer the other position to my BFF, I'll turn it down flat -- but it would be two nights a week at a place I enjoy, so it would be a hobby job more than anything else. He was nice, he just...doesn't seem like he's good at hiring people. Which is probably why he's trying to run a store and simultaneously work a night job with absolutely no support staff.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11776 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:30 pm »

Of COURSE you should take this job. You're a writer, it's all material.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11777 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13:59 am »

Of COURSE you should take this job. You're a writer, it's all material.

This has also occurred to me, absolutely.

Although now I kind of want to go around applying for a myriad of jobs and write a book about bizarre interviews and hiring processes.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11778 on: July 24, 2012, 05:09:08 pm »

My overachiever roommate finally goaded me into buying some fingerstyle guitar books. I do not want to say that his pestering was what I needed, but I just successfully played my first fingerstyle blues song. I am going to call it "Those Corny Arpeggio Blues." Because "Lesson 5: Blues in A" is a little too boring.

A little sick, but trying to motivate myself to pack things. We get the keys to our new house tonight. Very exciting. My imaginary goal is to move essential clothing and my bed/mattress today, so I can sleep there tonight and I can feel like I have accomplished something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11779 on: July 26, 2012, 06:37:24 am »

At work a visiting dude from corporate told me my latte was "delicious--nearly perfect." Then this girl I am seeing came by the store to visit. Then I went home and moved several carloads of stuff to my new house. Then this girl I am seeing came by the new house to check it out. She is mad that it is so big and nice. Welcome to St Louis.

Oh my god, this new house is so big and nice. But my room is pretty small. There is going to be some major purging.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11780 on: July 26, 2012, 09:08:01 am »

... do my washing in my bathtub and make too much risotto.

Does risotto keep? I've never had this problem before.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11781 on: July 26, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »

risotto will keep for a few days in the fridge, unless it's made with shellgiraffe. if you want to reheat it, just add a bit of water and break it up before you nuke it or in a small pot on the stove. halfway through, stir it and put it back in/on. i used to do this for lunch quite a bit.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11782 on: July 26, 2012, 04:28:54 pm »

At work a visiting dude from corporate told me my latte was "delicious--nearly perfect." Then this girl I am seeing came by the store to visit. Then I went home and moved several carloads of stuff to my new house. Then this girl I am seeing came by the new house to check it out. She is mad that it is so big and nice. Welcome to St Louis.

Oh my god, this new house is so big and nice. But my room is pretty small. There is going to be some major purging.

At my current resolution the two phrases of "Then this girl I am seeing came by the" are directly above each other. I want to believe this was done on purpose.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11783 on: July 26, 2012, 04:45:24 pm »

Duh, I have done a lot of research on each of your screen resolutions so I could pull off effects like that, and avoid rivers.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11784 on: July 26, 2012, 07:25:52 pm »

Learn that that typographical thing that bothers the shit out of me has a name. Thanks, Inev.

Also, today I'm gonna get a part-time job at the local board game store. Looks like I'll be working the Thursday night/Saturday day shifts for two weeks, then Friday night/Saturday night for two weeks, lather, rinse, repeat. I start August 8, but I'll be in and out for training a few hours at a time starting tomorrow.

My BFF got the other position, and we're the only two employees, so the owner said that we could split up the shifts however we wanted. So we grabbed subs for lunch and sat at my dining room table and worked up a rotating schedule that works for both of us. She'll work every Wednesday, the owner covers weekdays and Sundays, and the store is closed Monday and Tuesday nights.

I think it's going to work out really well. It's $8/hr for two weeks for training, then $8.50 for the first month and $9 after that. So the money is crap (compared to what I theoretically could have been making as a freelancer, had I actually been working) but it's a fun, easy job at a place I like to spend time anyway. And, like Wombat said, it's all research.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11785 on: July 26, 2012, 07:34:31 pm »

I love that you've been talking about this with us for days and only mentioned it today over at the Facebook.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11786 on: July 26, 2012, 07:56:32 pm »

I approve of this. I think it's going to generate a lot of interesting messageboard posts.

Today I'm gonna remember that I never get any work done in late July and August and I should just give up and relax.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11787 on: July 26, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »

I love that you've been talking about this with us for days and only mentioned it today over at the Facebook.

Well, yeah. I mean, I didn't want everybody and their brother to know I applied for a job until a) it got offered to me and b) I was sure I was going to take it. No point getting everyone all worked up over it unless it was actually going to happen.

But it's worth mentioning to you guys because you care about the process more than the end result. Which is why I enjoy spending time here more than I do with most of the people I know IRL.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11788 on: July 27, 2012, 01:57:36 am »

At work a visiting dude from corporate told me my latte was "delicious--nearly perfect." Then this girl I am seeing came by the store to visit. Then I went home and moved several carloads of stuff to my new house. Then this girl I am seeing came by the new house to check it out. She is mad that it is so big and nice. Welcome to St Louis.

Oh my god, this new house is so big and nice. But my room is pretty small. There is going to be some major purging.
Still in the same neighborhood, I imagine?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11789 on: July 27, 2012, 03:07:03 am »

In the Shaw neighborhood, a few blocks west of Grand.

Jesus, this sore throat is horrific. No other symptoms. But I have been doing Tylenol AM shots like a frat brother on his 21st birthday and got no relief.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:21:48 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 878   Go Up