Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341490 times)

0 Members and 210 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11865 on: August 28, 2012, 04:20:07 am »

ALSO: TIG drop my car at the shop and exercise-walk three daggone miles to get home.


The original plan was to go to the gym and walk on a treadmill for 45 minutes, then meet Pedro at the shop to drop the car. Then I realized that that made absolutely no sense in any other time or place in history, and decided to hoof it old school like a boss. Fuck yes, I made excercise and efficiency my twin bitches today, y'all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11866 on: August 28, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »

Another friend gave me a copy of "Weird New York" like a hardcover guide to strange tourist traps around NY state..

Did he give this to everyone? Or did he perhaps pick different gifts that each person would like?

Don't get sucked into made-up "traditions" of the bridal-industrial complex. Do what will seem meaningful to you and your own friends, rather than what will seem meaningful to a flask-engraving industry that has found a great way to avoid going out of business because they make useless shit.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11867 on: August 28, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »

Etsy is a good place to find groomsman gifts that are unique and useful, if you search the right things.  I'm personally fond of the geekery section, but you can search any category that relates to you and the dudes and find something.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11868 on: August 28, 2012, 02:09:47 pm »

the bridal-industrial complex

oh god this
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11869 on: August 28, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »

the bridal-industrial complex.
oh god this
QFT.  Fortunately my bride was as cynical about it as I and didn't go to the crazy place.  We managed to have a memorable wedding without live doves, videographers, vendor meetings, etc.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11870 on: August 28, 2012, 05:21:11 pm »

I just had a weird thought, and now I am freaked out. Don't think about getting married, dan. Just don't do it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11871 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »

I just had a weird thought, and now I am freaked out. Don't think about getting married, dan. Just don't do it.

Inev wants to marry every girl.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11872 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:15 pm »

I just had a weird thought, and now I am freaked out. Don't think about getting married, dan. Just don't do it.

Or do.  I certainly wish I'd married my hubby earlier, back when we were younger and my tolerance for that kind of bullshit was higher.  I'm glad to be married to him, but weddings and all that goes with them are for the young.  How else does one explain tiaras and dresses that look like marshmallows? 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11873 on: August 31, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »

Get drunk alone and think stupid thoughts.

You see, I, too, have finally begun to consider marriage, after 35 years of not really thinking about it as something for the "likes of me".

It seems all it took to change my mind was to find the right person (which unfortunately happens to be the 18-year old daughter of my best friend, whom I first met when she was 13).

I know some of you might find it a tad, hm, worrisome that I would think that the best match for a 35 year old man would be an 18 year old girl, but I'm no ordinary 35 year old man, and she is no ordinary 18 year old girl. I truly recognized in her what might as well become a true marriage of minds (she's an adorable dork: brainy, a bit clumsy and as cute as a bunch of ducklings who got confused and ended up in a queue at Starbucks with everybody going "Aww..."). And I just really really would like to, like, show her stuff [1]. You may think I'm taking the piss, but I've always had the pedagogical strain in me (always talking about teaching kids in poor communities to read and write etc). Also it seems her mother is raising her to fear, hate and loath all men (based on her own miserable experience with the girl's dad - my friend) and I really would like to help her with that because that sort of emotions are just baad, 'mkay?

That's not even... that's not even how marriages work, or what they're about! Why is my brain so dumb?


[1] If anyone mentions that I could always "show her stuff" without marrying her, I will find you, and gnaw on your face.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:55:10 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11874 on: September 01, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »

It all makes sense now: I am dating an older woman. Who does not appreciate being called "Mrs Robinson" during intimate moments. (she is 18 months older than me, this is not an actual thing.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11875 on: September 01, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »

My lady is 3 months older than me.  I occasionally mine that for my own amusement.  Certainly she doesn't find it as funny.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11876 on: September 01, 2012, 11:21:17 pm »

He figured it out too late for you, JL.

*weeps*

I am half a year older than Pedro, but sometimes it seems like half a score.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11877 on: September 01, 2012, 11:29:15 pm »

actually I thought of you when we had this conversation, because she also mentioned that a doctor told her parents at some point that he would like to test her for an ASD. Her parents were all "why? who cares?" so I guess that's that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11878 on: September 02, 2012, 12:53:04 am »

Mrs. West is 8 years older than me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #11879 on: September 02, 2012, 01:04:09 am »

I know you guys have moved on, but groomsmen get gifts? Man, I got totally fucked. Not only did I not get a gift, I had to wear a white tux.

But, I was happy to be a part of it. Not only was I the best man and only groomsman, I was the only person there that wasn't with the bride. My friend had kind of a screwed up life.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 878   Go Up