Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1350347 times)

0 Members and 191 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12030 on: October 24, 2012, 02:55:37 am »

Can't I just point at an attractive woman who is single and in one of my circle of friends and then we're living together?

This should be how it works.

For fuck's sake.

I totally agree.

This made me think - we think of arranged marriages as barbaric, but is it really worse than dating?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12031 on: October 24, 2012, 03:33:22 am »

I would like arranged marriage if it weren't my parents picking the lady. I have thought about this a lot.

I was all set up to do volunteer research for this guy at a local nonprofit thing, but then I started working at the coffee bar. A few weeks of 5 AM days, and then a month of working nights 6 days a week, plus I moved house. So I kind of let things slide and never got back in touch.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12032 on: October 24, 2012, 03:41:41 am »

I would like arranged marriage if it weren't my parents picking the lady. I have thought about this a lot.


Yeah, my parents have some really weird mis-impressions about me.  Makes me doubt what I know about my kids.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12033 on: October 24, 2012, 04:37:06 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
A few weeks of 5 AM days, and then a month of working nights 6 days a week, plus I moved house. So I kind of let things slide and never got back in touch.

If you moved an entire house, I'm not surprised you were tired.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12034 on: October 24, 2012, 07:16:51 am »

I look at job listings pretty frequently. Rarely see anything interesting/that seems within my reach. Even things that seem like "entry level" jobs say they want several years of experience. I apply anyway and never hear back.

All of the people I know who work at nonprofits have graduate degrees. It doesn't seem like any of them really have "entry level" jobs. No money.
And, frankly, is that even what I want to do? It seems like a horribly frustrating career path. And who the fuck am I to try to "help people?" Why should they give me their money, instead of spending it on their programs?

Related: this is why I laughed when my dad said "she wasn't the right girl-- if she was 'the one' you wouldn't have had any doubt." I don't understand how someone who has known me my whole life could think I have ever been sure of anything. He also recently expressed shock that I sometimes feel uncomfortable in social situations.

I have always identified with this comic, although the problem is definitely not depression.

The other day I was talking to my dad about how stressed out my dumb job makes me, and I heard a tone of voice I had never heard from him. A tone of sympathy, but that also said "oh, wow, my son is a neurotic loser."

You guys should be really excited about how much of this thread I deleted. Lately I am on a hair trigger for spilling my neurotic guts for anyone who will stand still. Have you ever had the dude serving you coffee tell you about his ex who moved to Chicago? I hope not, I'm sure that was horrible.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:22:16 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12035 on: October 24, 2012, 07:49:34 am »

Try to live more like this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12036 on: October 24, 2012, 11:25:10 am »

Try to live more like this.

Yeah, but what that picture doesn't show is that guy landed in a broken heap.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12037 on: October 24, 2012, 11:26:31 am »

Yeah, but what that picture doesn't show is that guy landed in a broken heap.

What I meant to say is that is fuck*ng bad ass!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12038 on: October 24, 2012, 12:40:45 pm »

Yeah, my parents have some really weird mis-impressions about me.  Makes me doubt what I know about my kids.

It is wise of you to make that connection. It doesn't seem to occur to so many smart people.

Inev has the right idea, we need arranged marriages but set up by someone other than parents. Come on, we can make this happen.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12039 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:34 pm »

I was all set up to do volunteer research for this guy at a local nonprofit thing, but then I started working at the coffee bar. A few weeks of 5 AM days, and then a month of working nights 6 days a week, plus I moved house. So I kind of let things slide and never got back in touch.

Get back in touch. You might need to grovel a bit but I suspect you can do that.

I am pretty sure that in this case I am not doing that thing where an old person tells you, to do what I did when what I did follows the old rules. I think these are the new rules. You know, everyone is supposed to be doing unpaid internships etc. I don't see how society can continue to run this way without bad consequences in the long run but right now that is not your problem.

Also, you can't know what you want to do without trying it, and volunteering is a way to try without a lot of committment or investment of resources. If there's one thing I know for sure it's that no job is exactly what you think it is before you do it. And there are jobs you don't know exist until you are really involved in a business. This is a way to find that stuff out.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12040 on: October 24, 2012, 01:59:53 pm »

Last night The Lady's cousin bailed at the last minute so I had to go with her to see David Sedaris. I understand he's a writer or somesuch.
Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12041 on: October 25, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »



Can't I just point at an attractive woman who is single and in one of my circle of friends and then we're living together?

This should be how it works.

For fuck's sake.

If you don't desire that she also be attracted to you, that could be the source of some problems in your love life.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12042 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:52 pm »

Oh is this where we post pictures of our sweet trucks?

Logged

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12044 on: October 25, 2012, 09:10:19 pm »

Rock climbing is something I really want to get into, but the last thing I need right now is yet another sport to buy gear for.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 878   Go Up