Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348628 times)

0 Members and 217 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12075 on: November 05, 2012, 05:43:31 pm »

No, I did not mean that I am not going to try. I just think there must be some clever way of doing it that I don't know about. Clearly it is a thing that people do all the time.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12076 on: November 05, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »

Yeah, you just...you do it. Maybe somebody will notice and care that your address isn't local, but people move around so much these days that most of the time it won't matter. Plus it takes care of that nagging question, "Why did you leave/are you leaving your previous position?"

Most people would rather hire a dude who already has a job in another city than someone from their own town who is unemployed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12077 on: November 05, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »

Not always. If you are applying from the angle of having some skill they need, being a little demanding in terms of compensation might give a better impression in some cases. You know how most guys chase the girl that rejects them, even if she is a raging bitch, when the one who likes them and is always nice just gets ignored? Yeah, that is basic human psychology, and it comes from a simplified, thoughtless way of evaluating people. You just naturally lend credibility to what they think of themselves. I'm not saying to ask for your employer to pay relocation expenses if you have nothing to set you apart from the pack of resumes, but they have got to know that if you do relocate to a place where you have no friends, you'll have nothing to do but work at first. You've got to ask for SOMETHING in return - just to show that you KNOW that you are a better candidate than the other chumps.


 'course, it helps to be ruggedly handsome and capable of making eye contact. Hard to show that off over email, unless you have a pretty strong web presence.  An employer looking at resume from out of state is going to view your bookface and your linkedin and your googleplus and your twitter. If you don't have a website or blog, they might think you are lazy. Make sure you can't find your own username for forums by googling your real name. if you can, you are outed: delete all your posts that contain political opinions and mean comments or career advice that is anything but "be qualified for the job". Make sure you have posts about software or cleaning products or whatever it is you do. Make sure you look pretty in your profile pic. Or at least like someone who doesn't smell too bad. If they can smell your facebook picture, they won't want to sit with you in an office. (you can totally smell my facebook picture right now)

</shityou'veallprollyheardbefore>
Logged
[expletive deleted]

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12078 on: November 06, 2012, 04:26:25 am »

Quote
Fuck dude, there is no secret!

Most of life is fumbling in the dark, beating your face into the wall, learning from your failures.

This is what I want to believe. No wonder I keep you guys around.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12079 on: November 06, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »

Do you have a diving board on the edge of a cliff?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12080 on: November 08, 2012, 02:49:55 am »

today I'm gonna realize that people are going to start trying to "set me up" with people without my consolation and this might be the worst thing of all of being single.

With my consolation? Maybe.

Without it? Jesus on a two inch cross, no. No.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12081 on: November 08, 2012, 05:32:21 am »

i think consolation might be the wrong word there fella
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12082 on: November 08, 2012, 08:25:16 am »

I told you guys about my roommate telling his coworker I want to date her, right?

I found out weeks later that part of her response was "Jesus, Dan doesn't know you're doing this, does he? Don't ever do this again." I had assumed she thought I had put him up to it. Yikes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12083 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33:01 pm »

Yeah, my conscious mind means "consultation".

But I have no idea what Mr. Deep Down meant and sometimes Mr. Deep Down and Spell Check conspire like that.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12084 on: November 08, 2012, 06:25:29 pm »

Well, if you want my consolation, eat your vegetables.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12085 on: November 09, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

Yesterday I wore my new coat to work, and my really attractive coworker said "damn, Dan! I never realized you had style!"

That same night my roommates saw me in the coat and said "you look like a character from Pete and Pete." Lots of weird compliments lately. This comes on the heel of my roommate telling me my guitar playing sounded like the Kids in the Hall theme.

Basically the theme is, the early 90s.

(afterwards she said my style was "rock star nerd.")
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12086 on: November 09, 2012, 07:15:06 pm »

(afterwards she said my style was "rock star nerd.")

Buddy Holley?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12087 on: November 09, 2012, 07:16:46 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12088 on: November 09, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »

Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12089 on: November 09, 2012, 07:21:01 pm »

Yes. I think she was reaching for the word "hipster" but coming up short.

This kind of coat plus my square black glasses, dark slim blue jeans, leather winter boots. Definitely a Pete and Pete look.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 878   Go Up