Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348098 times)

0 Members and 194 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12135 on: November 22, 2012, 01:20:21 am »

Soldiers' woes versus Walmart woes is really about OUR TROOPS versus UNIONS. It's our tribal factions co-opting symbols and pitting them against each other straw-man style. Like when Calvin pees on everything and then prays about it.

This is kind of my take on it. The guy who originally posted the picture would be straight-up FURIOUS if his job told him he had to work on Thanksgiving, I'm sure. But Wal-Mart people? Those are poor people, fuck 'em. They should be glad they have a job AT ALL.

Also, <gives Pedro awkward man-side-hug>
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12136 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:19 am »

See, in my heart of hearts, one of the main functions of government should be not letting businessmen be classless douchebags.

Because there's a certain percentage of business people who will do whatever they can get away with to make as much money as they possibly can, damn all and any other consequences.

And the government should protect us from such assholes gaming the system because that's bullshit.

It is one of my basic beliefs of government, I guess. I'm not saying the people behind this sort of thing should be executed or jailed or anything.

Just pilloried is all. And people only get to throw squishy things at them. Nothing that will injure in a long-term manner.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12137 on: November 22, 2012, 04:42:10 am »

I just like the idea of having the shared national experience of having a day of rest. And not wanting to spend time with your family is not a very good reason for opposing it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12138 on: November 22, 2012, 09:43:21 am »

Those are poor people, fuck 'em. They should be glad they have a job AT ALL.

Which is basically the way the country sees folks in the military, right?

Political
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12139 on: November 22, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

When the boy complained about holiday workings one of his friends told him it must be a real bitch having sore pockets from all that money. It was funny.

That is hilarious.

Also, theinevitable is a paragon of testicular fortitude. Hat's off for creating courage to change the things you can and patience to change the things you can't, etc. I wish doing could feel better for you at the time.

#latetotheparty - wait, do we still do small text postscripts here? Are hashtags gauche? Maybe I should have lurked more.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12140 on: November 22, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »

I just like the idea of having the shared national experience of having a day of rest.

What are you, some kind of communist, telling me when I have to relax?

Speaking of people who don't like shared holiday traditions there's an article in the Washington Post today where they let a guy go on and on for hundreds of words about how the President shouldn't pardon a turkey. I won't dignify it with a link. I mean, I know it is hard to think of stuff to publish on a holiday, but boy, what a party pooper.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12141 on: November 22, 2012, 03:47:56 pm »

People should not have to work on Thanksgiving because when they don't they post more on their favorite message board.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12142 on: November 22, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »

People should not have to work on Thanksgiving because when they don't they post more on their favorite message board.

I think August just check mated Wombat.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12143 on: November 22, 2012, 04:02:35 pm »

Having been the person working at the Walmart, I can say I was forced to work holidays, as were the majority of my coworkers who worked those days.  We had no say in our schedules, and in my department, the entire rest of the staff had seniority, so I was constantly screwed.  If I asked for time off my job was threaten or I was penalized furthe.  In all my experiences the crew on holidays was depressed people who didn't want to be there and had all sorts of family obligations they had to juggle around schedules they had no powere over.  It was not something I chose and I was expected to still participate in the usual holiday related family activities regardless.  I moved on long before they started the open until midnight/ 24hrs thing though, so I can only imagine how much worse it got.

It's an entirely different story if one chooses to work an atypical schedule, but in my experience as a former Walmart slave, there was very little choice in the matter.

I agree with Paul.  Having community based days of rest and enjoyment are important.  Having had that for a few years now, I wouldn't give it up not just for personal reasons, but for a sense of deeper connection to my neighbours and community.  Needing/wanting time away from family is about having and stating healthy boundaries, not having convenient excuses.

The general idea that I've heard expressed in more than one formatte like the one mentioned on FB that "you do not have a license to express descent simply because somewhere, someone has it worse" is garbage.  Most of the soldiers I've known believe very strongly in upholding rights and freedoms as the core of their belief system.  
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12144 on: November 22, 2012, 07:02:48 pm »

I know there are people who can't stand up for themselves, but there ought to be a way to help people who can't stand up for themselves that doesn't limit everyone's options. Here's an example: I've had a number of temporary zoo jobs. These were good jobs for me to have and I'd like to do it again. But they were subject to a rule that no one can have a temp job for more than two years. And idiotically, it's two years total in your whole life. So once I've accrued two years in those jobs I can't do another one.

The rule against long term temps was meant to protect people from being called a temp for many years and never getting full time benefits. But I'm a grownup, I can make my own career decisions. I don't need the benefits right now and it would be better for me to have one of those jobs than not to have one.

That rule might have made things better for some people - although maybe not, since after all they could just let the person go after two years - but definitely made it worse for others. There has to be a better way. Basically, we need to live in a world where it's wrong to screw over your employees, not a world where we keep making highly specfic new rules against certain highly specific ways of screwing people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12145 on: November 23, 2012, 03:16:55 am »

What are you, some kind of communist, telling me when I have to relax?

Speaking of people who don't like shared holiday traditions there's an article in the Washington Post today where they let a guy go on and on for hundreds of words about how the President shouldn't pardon a turkey. I won't dignify it with a link. I mean, I know it is hard to think of stuff to publish on a holiday, but boy, what a party pooper.

I saw the headline and immediately said "yes, this article is completely true. That is a stupid tradition."
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12146 on: November 23, 2012, 05:49:51 pm »

PARTY POOPER.

Yes, it's stupid, but it's fun. And Obama was having a great time. The President hardly ever gets to do anything stupid and fun. Only a meanie would take this away from him.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12147 on: November 23, 2012, 06:19:56 pm »

I think it's a stupid tradition too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12148 on: November 23, 2012, 10:44:32 pm »

I agree with Paul.  Having community based days of rest and enjoyment are important.  Having had that for a few years now, I wouldn't give it up not just for personal reasons, but for a sense of deeper connection to my neighbours and community.  Needing/wanting time away from family is about having and stating healthy boundaries, not having convenient excuses.

Thank you Smells for articulating my opinion better than I can myself.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12149 on: November 23, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »

You communist dictators can force me to take a day off from work, but you can't make me relax and enjoy myself on it.

Wait, actually no you can't even do that much. I work for myself at home again now. You'll never know. So there.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 878   Go Up