Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349445 times)

0 Members and 162 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12180 on: November 28, 2012, 07:12:26 pm »

i have poor-kid guilt/anxiety about anything that costs more than $50.

(thats a bit of an exaggeration, but it sort of isnt.)
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12181 on: November 28, 2012, 07:33:38 pm »

I'm OK with things that cost more than 50 dollars unless they're so small that I can ruin them by dropping them into the toilet, so I do have a lot of anxiety about my phone.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12182 on: November 28, 2012, 07:34:52 pm »

I have serious Roast Beef syndrome about buying new stuff for myself, but I go absolutely overboard when buying for other people.

I blame my mother.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12183 on: November 28, 2012, 07:57:09 pm »

I told her I wouldn't give anything away in advance but... when I know, I'll tell you all where to get it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12184 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:13 pm »

Hey, are pocket watches still a thing?

I was having a text with The Boy and we were wondering what to do with our spare teeth. I said dudes used to mount shit like that on their pocket watch chains and wondered what the modern equivalent of that would be. Then he mentioned he wanted a pocket watch and forgot to put it on his xmas list.

Huh.

How is this not tempting as the dickens?

A cellphone shaped like a pocketwatch with a pocketwatch screensaver would be pretty rad. I don't think even wrist watches are still a thing, though, unless you count them as jewelry.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12185 on: November 28, 2012, 10:48:50 pm »

Fox update:

Thing left my car with about 3 grand worth of damage, I've convinced the special lady to ride out there with me to pick it up this weekend. Insurance is covering most of it, but I doubt the car will be restored to full quality, as shit never goes back on quite straight. I'll probably be selling it at a loss, getting into some car loan style debt, and wasting a couple weekends on craigslist and at lots because I don't want to deal with whatever problems will come in 10k miles because some part didn't fit exactly perfect and it wore something else out.

On the bright side, I SMOKED that fox.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12186 on: November 29, 2012, 01:38:26 am »

"In business, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." -Chester L. Karrass
This is true, and its why if you're smart and aggressive a union is a terrible thing.  Someone else does the negotiating, and your talents are averaged in with the knuckle draggers.  I originally hired on with my current company 15 years ago as a temp.  After 3 months I told my boss to hire me full time or I would look for other opportunities.  A week later I was full time, with a salary I negotiated with him based on the work I had shown to date.  A little later I was talking with another guy who had been there for 3 years and was still a temp.  Good worker, smart and talented, but apparently just didn't know how to get what he wanted (full time gig with benefits, etc).  He just kept waiting for HR to magically decide it was time to bring him onto the payroll.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12187 on: November 29, 2012, 04:58:35 am »

Ever since I decided that I want Quality Things in small quantities, instead of lots of bullshit that I buy at goodwill, I have maybe a reverse roast beef syndrome. When I am buying a shirt and my mom (who has, um, a lot of money) comments that it is awfully expensive you know something is going horribly wrong.

(It was at J. Crew or something, it's not like it was a $100 shirt.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12188 on: November 29, 2012, 02:39:16 pm »

A cellphone shaped like a pocketwatch with a pocketwatch screensaver would be pretty rad. I don't think even wrist watches are still a thing, though, unless you count them as jewelry.

I check the time way too often for my cellphone in my pocket as a time-keeping device to be practical. Especially in meetings.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12189 on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:35 pm »

I know a few people who still wear wristwatches. It strikes me as odd, but whatever.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12190 on: November 29, 2012, 03:40:06 pm »

I actually still wear a wristwatch a lot of the time. It relates to my anxiety about my phone - partly that this anxiety means that I keep it  in a complicated protective case so it takes extra effort to look at it, and partly because the fewer times I check the time on the phone, the fewer chances I have to drop it and break it.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12191 on: November 29, 2012, 03:45:56 pm »

I have a 40$ Timex from Target, and I wear it when I want to feel like a grownup.

Tonight my roommates' band is having a record release party, and it is getting lots of social media mentions and is at a hip weird tiny venue, and we are all banking on the idea that there will be tons of babes there. Is there any reason to believe there is an untapped reservoir of hipster babes in St Louis? No, there is not. Peak Babe in St Louis was 50 years ago.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12192 on: November 29, 2012, 04:23:42 pm »

I have a 40$ Timex from Target, and I wear it when I want to feel like a grownup.

As someone who was alive during the "wristwatch era" I am happy for the convenience of having the time on my phone. This is why you listen to records as well, isn't it?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12193 on: November 29, 2012, 04:37:03 pm »

No, I read something that said that wearing a watch looks good at job interviews. My dad agrees with this, he says it infuriates him that people pull out their phones in meetings to "look at the time."
It also helps when I am at work and am not allowed to look at my phone. But I mostly think it looks cool. Fashion blogs told me I should get a watch.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12194 on: November 29, 2012, 04:46:04 pm »

I have noticed that although everyone has a phone that tells the time, there are even more fancy watches for sale than ever before, so it does seem like they have become a fashion accessory.

Of course it's infuriating that people take out their phone in meetings to "look at the time." I do this too even when I am wearing a watch. Of course we are really looking at our email because the meeting is making us want to claw our eyes out with boredom.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 878   Go Up