Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1349025 times)

0 Members and 200 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12195 on: November 29, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »

I have always hated having something compressing my wrist, and once my forearms got furry it became occasionally painful with one of those elastic metal strap deals.  I got an Otter Box for my cell phone because of the abuse my iPod Touch endured.  It has kept it cozy, and the belt clip keeps it pretty handy for such as checking the time.

I cannot imaging checking the time during a job interview.  Whether on a watch or a phone, it strikes me as a Hunts move to be distracted from the task at hand.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12196 on: November 29, 2012, 04:59:18 pm »

I wear a watch every goddamned day.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12197 on: November 29, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »

I check the time way too often for my cellphone in my pocket as a time-keeping device to be practical. Especially in meetings.

This is a nervous tick. If you have any sense of time passage at all, you shouldn't need to check the time more than a couple times a day. For important meetings and appointments, a reminder from your phone can include a sound and/or vibrate. Someone who constantly checks the time in my presence gives the impression of not wanting to be there, and I don't have time for people who don't think of me as the best thing they are doing all day.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12198 on: November 29, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

This is a nervous tick. If you have any sense of time passage at all, you shouldn't need to check the time more than a couple times a day. For important meetings and appointments, a reminder from your phone can include a sound and/or vibrate. Someone who constantly checks the time in my presence gives the impression of not wanting to be there, and I don't have time for people who don't think of me as the best thing they are doing all day.

I have a really poor sense of time. I've probably checked the time time 15 times between 8:30am and 1pm today just sitting at my desk by myself.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12199 on: November 29, 2012, 06:43:27 pm »

I have a poor sense of time in the opposite of the way most people do - it results in my always being early. If I didn't check the time often I'd be an hour early for everything instead of only 20 minutes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12200 on: November 30, 2012, 06:25:48 am »

Evan Williams, you may be cheap ass bourbon but you make me happy.

Yes.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12201 on: November 30, 2012, 06:34:32 am »

Here's the link to purchase the thing I was commissioned to link if you all are inclined: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFORER8/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12202 on: November 30, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »

Here's the link to purchase the thing I was commissioned to link if you all are inclined: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFORER8/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Done and done. Looking forward to reading it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12203 on: November 30, 2012, 05:02:03 pm »

OK, now I am more concerned about what seemed like an excellent financial deal. Are you getting a cut of the sales as well as the initial payment?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12204 on: November 30, 2012, 05:34:37 pm »

Jeez Ash that sure is the kind of supportive attitude a creative person needs in his friends.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12205 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »

Nah, wombie, this was kind of a test case thing to see how it would go, you know? If I had tried to hardball what was a first experiment, it probably wouldn't have happened at all. It was four hours of work at the most, two of them sitting in a coffee shop waiting for my turn at an open mic.

If it sells more than expected, it'll lead to more work, it wasn't much work and it gets my name out there, I think. "Loss leader" and all that? I don't know. This is something that an opendiary friend who makes her living writing and editing e-books threw at me late Saturday night and I had a draft turned in Sunday evening, you know.

Toe in the water. My friend Eve came to me with the idea to do Twas The Night as a vampire story and, well, frankly that kind of writing... Weird Al/Mad Magazine-style parody... it is like breathing to me. It wasn't my idea, it was just my execution of an idea and... I dunno. If one incredibly short project that sprang from someone else's idea goes a little south in terms of my cut on it, it isn't the end of the world. The measure of a writer isn't two or three great unique ideas, it's the ability to execute ideas, right?

If nothing else, I'm a little less afraid of putting stuff out there and a little more wise to the way e-self-publishing works and I have an extra 250 in my pocket to try and chase girls with while I look for work and continue developing my writing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12206 on: November 30, 2012, 05:57:08 pm »

I have a really poor sense of time. I've probably checked the time time 15 times between 8:30am and 1pm today just sitting at my desk by myself.
I have a poor sense of time in the opposite of the way most people do - it results in my always being early. If I didn't check the time often I'd be an hour early for everything instead of only 20 minutes.
Neither of you need to be checking the time that much. It takes time to look at the time, and to think about looking at the time, and to worry about what time it is. Why not simply set an outlook reminder or an alarm on your cellphone for the time you need to start thinking about each task/appointment, and then never look at the time again? You can do this when you are scheduling the task/appointment in the first place, so THAT won't take any extra time, and suddenly you'll have 10 or 15 minutes of spare time per day, and a much more relaxed attitude toward everything. Stop pestering your clock, and allow it to do the work for you!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:00:15 pm by doomglobe »
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12207 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:38 pm »

Here's the link to purchase the thing I was commissioned to link if you all are inclined: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFORER8/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk
Clicked & will forward to my vampire obsessed sister-in-law
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12208 on: November 30, 2012, 06:30:06 pm »

When I was in LA we had giraffe tacos at this chain of giraffe taco places. Now I think I have to move there so I can eat that junk every day. How can giraffe tacos be so good?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12209 on: November 30, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »

Thanks for the support, girls and guys, I do appreciate it!

And Ash, now that you have supported my creative endeavour, it is time for me to find a younger woman and go write reviews of hipster food for snooty people! Hooray!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 878   Go Up