Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1348182 times)

0 Members and 200 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12210 on: November 30, 2012, 07:06:43 pm »

P.S. So do you, write me another fuck*ng book already and get your ass off a message board.

I've written several more books. Unfortunately so far no one wants to publish them.

LFM, the thing is, I don't understand what this "editor" did for you that you couldn't have done by yourself.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12211 on: November 30, 2012, 08:03:03 pm »

She came up with the idea of writing a vampire version of Twas The Night Before Christmas, hired me on a lark because she'd seen some of my parody riffs on my journal, hired someone to do the cover art, packaged it up and put it on Amazon Kindle attached to her fairly popular other works which I assume will lead to a chunk of the sakes and did some light editing on the piece to make a few of the cultural references more mainstream/current.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12212 on: November 30, 2012, 08:19:39 pm »

OK, now I'm really curious. I can get for free a book of hers which is "a spontaneous combustion mystery in a haunted co-op art gallery before its grand opening in Venice, California" featuring "the spirit of a hoss that shows up at a barbeque."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12213 on: November 30, 2012, 09:23:14 pm »

giraffe tacos are indeed really frickin' good.

I have developed a really good sense of time when it comes to cooking. I will chuck something in the oven and set a timer. Then, without looking at a clock, I'll think "hey that timer should be going off soon, right?" Drop what I'm doing, wander into the kitchen, and there's usually less than a minute to go.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12214 on: November 30, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »

I have developed a really good sense of time when it comes to cooking. I will chuck something in the oven and set a timer. Then, without looking at a clock, I'll think "hey that timer should be going off soon, right?" Drop what I'm doing, wander into the kitchen, and there's usually less than a minute to go.

Yeah, I've been doing that lately too.  Weird.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12215 on: November 30, 2012, 11:35:46 pm »

When I was in LA we had giraffe tacos at this chain of giraffe taco places. Now I think I have to move there so I can eat that junk every day. How can giraffe tacos be so good?

Do this. Don't wait till you're stuck in a whole life somewhere else before you realize you have to do this, like I did.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12216 on: November 30, 2012, 11:49:29 pm »

I think the Silver Lake/Echo Park area of L.A. would be right up your alley, Dan'l.

I think you'd love the hell out of it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12217 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:03 am »

Glendale is the place for Armenian women with AMAZING ASSES. YOU GUYS. AMAZING ASSES.

Echo Lake is where the skinny little hipster girls Dan'l wants to Boone are, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12218 on: December 01, 2012, 01:22:17 am »

Where is the neighborhood for Armenian hipsters with amazing asses?

Wombat, what is the city you wish you had moved to, and for what food?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12219 on: December 01, 2012, 02:21:52 am »

Wombat, what is the city you wish you had moved to, and for what food?

I wish I had moved to LA for tacos and Japanese food, and the weather. Although not the giraffe tacos so much, more the pork, and the Mexican fresh fruit juices.

I also had a dream of working at the zoo in Santa Barbara where there are awesome tacos, and capybaras, but probably that is really not a big enough city for me.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12220 on: December 01, 2012, 07:45:18 pm »

My linguistics professor for a summer thing I did worked at UCSB. She loves it there. She leads whale-watching tours on the weekends.

Today I talked to my dad about what I should wear if I get an interview for this job I applied to, and it was really reassuring to talk to someone who has gone far, and believes that no one would ever judge a candidate for a job based on their clothes. Like, really. He thinks that.

After reading too many web postings where people claim they would never hire someone who wore a tie that didn't match their suit properly, or whatever, this was nice to hear.

Every time I have ever needed dress shoes, from when I was a child until now, I have pulled a pair out of my closet and found that they were too small. My feet should not be growing this much every 6 months, at age 24. Am I being gaslighted? I bought these shoes last summer.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:01:33 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12221 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »

Today, I'm trying my damnedest to not count my chickens before they hatch.

An old friend who is an indie producer in L.A. called me up last night, thinking of bringing me on as a writer for his next (already mostly funded) project.

Which would be... relatively lucrative, get me out to L.A. for a coupla weeks a coupla time and generally make me feel like a whole person again.

But it was just one phone call starting the process.

Hm. DON'T. COUNT. CHICKEN. THIS KIND OF THING HAS STARTED TO HAPPEN AND DISSIPATED BEFORE.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12222 on: December 01, 2012, 09:14:18 pm »

It's so hard not to at least run some estimations of possible flock size in a situation like that. The most important thing is not to let it affect other decisions, like "I better not do X because then I couldn't do this chicken thing if it flies."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12223 on: December 01, 2012, 10:18:04 pm »

So what kind of chickens are we talking about here? Is this a movie? Television show? Reality TV? Are you going to be writing Punch up?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12224 on: December 02, 2012, 01:16:32 am »

Quote
He is a reasonable guy. I don't care about clothing so much as long as dude or dudette is making some kind of effort. I ain't the style police.

Yes, absolutely. But it was reassuring to hear that he does not believe that his peers think they are the style police, either.

Speaking of chicken censuses, today I bought a suit. Makes me look damn handsome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 878   Go Up