Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1346033 times)

0 Members and 167 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12435 on: January 04, 2013, 05:41:39 pm »

man, cupcakes in NYC are only $4?? I thought stuff was expensive there!

The expensive cupcakes in my grocery store are $6.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12436 on: January 04, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »

I think certain cupcakes at Sprinkles in Beverly Hills were eight or nine dollars and that was years ago.

Not that I was paying that much for a CUPCAKE but I worked for people with a lot of money for a while there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12437 on: January 04, 2013, 05:59:12 pm »

I'm not going to defend cupcakes here. When I am in the mood for cake and frosting I'd just as soon have a nice piece of layer cake. And I'd rather have a great piece of pie. But those things are not the fashion, so that's not what is available.

These are only 2.75 each though, despite having their own TV show, so it sounds like I am getting off easy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12438 on: January 04, 2013, 06:09:00 pm »

From what I saw, $25 for 6 is sort of middle of the road price-wise.  It was the $12 delivery fee, or the min. two dozen per order clauses that stopped me.

Now I want a cupcake. Or an egg salad sandwich.  Or both.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:10:05 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12439 on: January 04, 2013, 11:33:43 pm »

I ate a cupcake in NYC. I don't recall what it cost.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12440 on: January 05, 2013, 03:12:10 am »

I ended up at a down-to-earth deli place.  Not a cupcake in sight, but a great egg salad sandwich, done only the way a deli can do it right.  Our grocery store only sells cupcakes packaged off site.  Weird, preservative filled non cupcakes.  Sad really.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12441 on: January 05, 2013, 03:19:44 am »

Damn it!  The one place I really liked the cupcakes at was the silly-named I Love my C-cups, and I just found out they sold the business and moved to Florida.  Now I'm cupcake obsessed with no outlet for release!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12442 on: January 05, 2013, 04:54:23 am »

Damn it!  The one place I really liked the cupcakes at was the silly-named I Love my C-cups, and I just found out they sold the business and moved to Florida.  Now I'm cupcake obsessed with no outlet for release!

if only people could make them at home...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12443 on: January 05, 2013, 06:55:11 am »

I'm not going to defend cupcakes here. When I am in the mood for cake and frosting I'd just as soon have a nice piece of layer cake. And I'd rather have a great piece of pie. But those things are not the fashion, so that's not what is available.

These are only 2.75 each though, despite having their own TV show, so it sounds like I am getting off easy.

This is the most sensible thing about cupcakes I have ever read.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12444 on: January 05, 2013, 07:11:47 am »

if only people could make them at home...

Have you ever made cupcakes gka?  I have, and let me tell you the effort it takes to make them is never worth it.  That's actually how I feel about most baking actually.  It's like butchering a cow just because you want a steak.  Plus, in the process of making cupcakes, you have to eat icing and such to appropriatly adjust the taste, so by the time you get finished making them you've already been overloaded on sugar.  Plus if I make them myself I'm so hung up on analyzing all the component parts - flavour, moisture, cake to icing ratio, appearance, etc. -  that I take no pleasure in my own work.  The only real enjoyment I get out of making cupcakes is giving them away.  I once made some perfect little buttermilk cupcakes with butter cream icing "nests" filled with blue (and only blue) Cadbury mini-eggs that I watch ladies eat with almost orgasmic pleasure.  Likewise for my red velvet cupcakes.  But considering making them destroys my kitchen, it's not something I do more than once every few years.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:18:12 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12445 on: January 05, 2013, 07:26:07 am »

I baked a sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving. Made the dough from scratch. At least one person described it as the best they have ever tasted (and not to my face, so it's somewhat legit). The only other thing I have baked in the last decade is a frozen pizza. But yeah, it was a huge pain in the ass. I was asked to bake one for Christmas, and I was all "fuck that shit".
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12446 on: January 05, 2013, 07:28:35 am »

i have made cupcakes many times.  my brain doesnt do all that stuff about baking though, so its less traumatic.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12447 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »

it ain't baking, but today i'm making a paella for 40+ people. chicken, sausage, shrimp, octopus. the last time i made one, a lady told me it was the best she'd ever had. she herself had made one a few months before and it was kind of lousy - her rice was underdone and the whole thing was cold. but at least she knew the sort of task it was, and saw that i'd done a couple unnecessary but effective things to make mine as good as possible. i'm going to repeat almost the exact recipe today, only with hickory instead of oak for the fire (less smoke) and octopus instead of mussels.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12448 on: January 06, 2013, 03:02:54 am »

Weird, preservative filled non cupcakes. 

Cupless cakes?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12449 on: January 06, 2013, 03:31:30 am »

Damn it!  The one place I really liked the cupcakes at was the silly-named I Love my C-cups, and I just found out they sold the business and moved to Florida.  Now I'm cupcake obsessed with no outlet for release!

I also am obsessed with c-cups. Fortunately I have an outlet for release.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 878   Go Up