Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1342341 times)

0 Members and 162 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12690 on: March 06, 2013, 08:33:14 pm »

Quote
if you have to sit there and
rewrite it again and again,
don't do it.

Possibly the worst writing advice ever given.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12691 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »

You mean you don't subscribe to the idea that only people who pour first draft perfections from their fingertips should even attempt writing?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12692 on: March 06, 2013, 10:59:46 pm »

Living with dudes who take music and art seriously, I am impressed anew with how much work goes into those pursuits
(But also how things they just dash off are completely incredible, and then they crumple it up and throw it in the trash.)
Confirmed: the cute girl who brought me soup thinks I am sleeping at her house. And the hostel won't let me cancel my reservation.
A couple of solutions present themselves. Trying to decide how to play this.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12693 on: March 07, 2013, 03:29:12 am »

Trying to decide how to play this.

Is getting slapped entering into your thinking?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12694 on: March 07, 2013, 03:46:55 am »

Sometimes in life you act like a weird idiot who can't ask people a simple question, but it works out anyway. My roommate who thought he couldn't get off work is taking my spot, and I am sleeping at the lady's house. This worked out for everyone. Except her poor parents, who have to deal with one more stinky hipster sleeping in their house (who is also trying to make out with their daughter, but they probably won't be aware of that dimension.)

(I'm just kidding, I smell great.)

I am going to bring them some Gooey Butter Cake.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:20:11 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12695 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:09 pm »

...have one of those days where I want to light my feet on fire and then kick people in the neck.



New bosses. The worst, people.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12696 on: March 07, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »

TIG... nothing, really. Just plod along at work then go home, work out like a spaz for 20 minutes. Prolly get stoned and read Crime & Punishment, mebbe draw some. Eh, congratulations on a dumb life.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12697 on: March 07, 2013, 03:04:08 pm »

Had a discussion about my writing career with Idea Man/spouse. Bought a book about turning experiences into articles. Set aside a notebook for article concepts & brainstorming.

I guess it's getting time to start working up a backlog of articles I want to write so that when Chaos Girl heads off to Kindergarten in July I can sit down and write them.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12698 on: March 07, 2013, 04:54:45 pm »

Remember where the magic happens.

The hostel people are being buttheads about this switcheroo. I do not understand why. They have already been paid. I guess this is my punishment for not wanting to get slapped.

Since I am driving, I made a really mediocre country mix CD to torture my roommates with. I am pretty excited.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:51:42 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12699 on: March 07, 2013, 05:08:42 pm »

Yeah? I, for one, wouldn't mind knowing what you consider a great country mix.

Me either, in fact, I think you should share it with us all. We will title it "Music to Get Slapped By."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12700 on: March 07, 2013, 05:19:32 pm »

OK, let's be honest, it is a mix of the only country songs I know about so far. I actually labeled it "Americana" because there is also some other folky-rock-continuum stuff.
The criteria was "things I want to listen to in the car with my roommates on the way to Nashville."

Gram Parsons/Late Byrds stuff along these lines.
Outliers like this guy in his electric phase. This performance rules. Later on is the famous "Judas" moment.
This song because I listen to it multiple times a week anyway.
Classics like this and this.
It pretty much feels like a CD I would have made in high school, if in high school I had been into late 60s/early 70s country-rock instead of indie rock. I should not pretend to know anything about country.

So, basically, I'm going to bury this CD in the back yard. HOW COULD I BE SO ARROGANT.

If you guys have more recommendations along those lines (especially the Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers angle) please send them my way via that other thread.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:52:33 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12701 on: March 07, 2013, 05:57:17 pm »



So, basically, I'm going to bury this CD in the back yard. HOW COULD I BE SO ARROGANT.

You could send it to me instead.

Quote

If you guys have more recommendations along those lines (especially the Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers angle) please send them my way via that other thread.

Well, the Grateful Dead would be consistent.  Little Feat.  John Prine.  Townes Van Zandt, or as I call him, "The Roast Beef of County Music".

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12702 on: March 07, 2013, 07:05:46 pm »

The flatlanders- more a legend than a band is the greatest country album ever.  I hope you like saw.

The international submarine bands record is the second best country album ever (and grams first album), but you probably know about them? 

Today I am going to take some e for the first time in a long time.  I hope it is extra speedy.  I may drop some L in there too or I have a ball of some white girl.  I bought a shit load of drugs this week, but only because a friend was coming who wanted them.  I wasn't even excited about them- which makes me really excited.  This may be my last drug weekend, unless I somehow get famous or really rich without having a job.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12703 on: March 07, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »

I know you're not writing the great american novel or anything, but it reminded me of what my favorite poet had to say.

What up brokowski?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12704 on: March 07, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »

New bosses. The worst, people.
You certainly work in an industry where that statement is not hyperbole.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 878   Go Up