Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1342016 times)

0 Members and 189 Guests are viewing this topic.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12780 on: April 03, 2013, 10:25:33 pm »

I skip all the knob adjusting, and re-seasoning, and instead just fill a giant bowl with the washed potatoes, dump a huge amount of olive oil, kosher salt, chipotle, garlic powder, and curry powder and mix it up until everything is coated. Then I place the potatoes on the pan one by one so the excess liquid doesn't come with. Too much oil prevents crispiness. Onstad's recipe is good, but I like a thing I can do with 20 or 30 people stumbling around, who may or may not know each other, but didn't get much face time with me. Recipe needs to be low maintenance and high yield. When a dude's at the oven is the perfect time to corner him and talk about how lame his career is. I can just leave the bowl of seasoned potatoes in a corner covered with the cookie sheets until it is time to fire it up.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12781 on: April 04, 2013, 07:58:00 pm »

A couple weeks ago we bought a food dehydrator, on account of the gradual build up of apples from our weekly CSA box (they are good, but I'm more of an orange eater).  I'm now contemplating drying and grinding fresh herbs; immediately I thought of Onstad.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12782 on: April 04, 2013, 08:14:52 pm »

Oh that totally reminds me, since I'm stealing shit today.
That reminded me to fire up the microwave egg biscuit. I did not separate the whites, because I'm not a woman. Smoked ham, sharp swiss, and some parsley were also used.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12783 on: April 04, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »

I did not separate the whites, because I'm not a woman.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12784 on: April 04, 2013, 09:36:44 pm »

On separating the whites:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203499704576622861421337184.html

"Despite all the food in "La Comédie Humaine," Balzac's collection of novels, there is only one recipe—and it sounds delicious. It is created by a debauched doctor who, "in the flower of old age," had to concede that "nature had foiled the schemes of his lust." Turning to food for consolation and applying a scientific approach, the doctor discovers that an omelette is more delicate if the whites and yolks are separated, the whites beaten to a foam and the yolks "introduced a little at a time." Instead of a frying pan, he uses a cagnard, a sort of platter made of porcelain or earthenware with four feet that sit on the stove, holding the cagnard above the heat so that the platter won't crack."

I worked with this recipe after seeing an abridged version in a tweet by the publisher (which did not mention that it was the only recipe in the book). It was amazing, I now add chili powder to the yolks, sel gris to the whites, and make latte art with the yolks as I add them. This impresses ladies immensely, because nothing is manlier than separating eggs, but unfortunately I have not found an excuse to make it for girls who were not already sleeping in my bed when I woke up.  I bought the book hoping for more recipes, and instead got a recap of Balzac's life story and how it pertained to his description of food in his writing. I think the author plans on teaching a bullshit course at a university in a large lecture hall and failing anyone who doesn't bring her book to class for signing.

(I do not own a cagnard and use a copper frypan with steel liner at medium heat)
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12785 on: April 05, 2013, 04:14:09 am »

That sounds great, but I had a big fluffy delicious egg breakfast sandwich in literally 2 minutes.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12786 on: April 05, 2013, 04:43:42 am »

yesterday night I fried some leftover carnitas with a few eggs and threw them on top of some udon noodles with soy sauce and sriracha. Holy fuck fusion.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12787 on: April 05, 2013, 01:42:52 pm »

A couple weeks ago we bought a food dehydrator, on account of the gradual build up of apples from our weekly CSA box (they are good, but I'm more of an orange eater).  I'm now contemplating drying and grinding fresh herbs; immediately I thought of Onstad.

We've got one, and have frequently used it for dried apples, as we often buy huge quantities of them from a Virginia orchard in the fall. The kids eat them almost as fast as I can make them.

Drying fresh herbs is indeed a good thing, whether they're store-bought (if I get a package of, say, thyme, and only use some of it fresh in a recipe, I'll dry the rest rather than just keeping it in the fridge until it goes bad), or that which you've grown in your garden (I will dry the remaining basil, thyme, and sage at the end of the season). Just remember that basil actually requires a higher temperature setting than is probably specified for "herbs." And don't grind them right away--put them in jars relatively whole, and crumble them between your fingers right when you add them to the dish.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12788 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »

TIG wake up at around 2am because the window next to the bed exploded.  My first thought was "gun shot." Hubby was all creeping around and peaking.  Turns out pressure cracks can happen, and in the wierd world of fluxuating Canadian thaw, the air between the double panes can apparently go all bursty.  Worst. Wake-up. Ever.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12789 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:52 pm »

Today I'm gonna be on the radio at 8pm Central. I'll be talking about artcars and trying not to sound too much like the idiot I am.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12790 on: April 06, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »

Some Pics from the interview.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12791 on: April 07, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »

Mad Men premiere party. I think the ladies are enjoying their parts as much as the fellas. The air is thick with scotch and pot roast.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12792 on: April 07, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »

I talked to a lady yesterday who just graduated from one of the urban planning programs I want to apply to-- UNC. I asked her a bunch of questions and she basically said "you went to WashU, you're smart, and you are from North Carolina... I think you can relax a little bit."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12793 on: April 08, 2013, 01:58:59 pm »

I went out to refill my prescriptions at about eight in the morning, but it turned out the pharmacist wouldn't be in until 9:30. Decided to walk up to the corner deli/diner/joint for a hot breakfast (pancakes, eggs, sausage, turkey bacon), then walked down to the park and chilled on a bench for 45 minutes. It was pretty nice actually, I don't leave the house much these days.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #12794 on: April 08, 2013, 03:25:24 pm »

That sounds perfectly idyllic.

In other going out of the house news, today the weather is finally like spring, so I tried to sit outside to work, but the birds are so loud that I couldn't concentrate.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 878   Go Up