Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1341873 times)

0 Members and 188 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13140 on: June 27, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »

I have had some terrible experiences with psychiatrists.
You're talking about Psychologists. Psychiatrists have an MD and prescribe pharmaceuticals to adjust chemical imbalances.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13141 on: June 27, 2013, 07:49:40 pm »

As a child, I was harassed with the goddamned dolphin puppet from goddamned ARCHER by a goddamned school shrink and, to be honest, I've never forgiven them.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13142 on: June 27, 2013, 07:56:03 pm »

You're talking about Psychologists.

ALSO THAT.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13143 on: June 27, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »

I think it is more complicated than any of those. Brain chemical imbalances exist and are medically treatable, but the brain is a more complex machine than that. Maybe one day we'll be able to treat these imbalances as simply as a broken leg, but for most people's chemistry it isn't that simple. Mental health categories are culturally categorized, and the potential for abuse exists, but this does not negate the existence of real chemical problems which medicines can treat. Licensed therapists can help but are sometimes not good at their jobs.

The psych appointment was pretty lame. He gave me a 1-month sample of a drug which I can't drink alcohol with. Anyone got a good excuse for that one in social situations? It is also pretty BS to me that seeing a doctor who "is covered" by my insurance cost more out-of-pocket than I make in a day.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13144 on: June 27, 2013, 09:33:09 pm »

Tonight I finally get to see The Cat Empire. I've been listening to them for years and this is the first time they've come even close to DC.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13145 on: June 27, 2013, 10:47:55 pm »

Anyone got a good excuse for that one in social situations?

Fuck excuses. It is no one's business what you drink.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13146 on: June 28, 2013, 01:36:10 am »

You could say you're "going paleo" and alcohol is on the no-no list.  That should cause the conversation to quickly switch to another topic, because new paleo converts are worse than Jehovah's Witnesses in talking about their thing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13147 on: June 28, 2013, 02:33:53 am »

I stopped drinking a few years ago and never thought I needed excuse.  Now I wonder if people think I was doing something else or doing it because I was on something or whatever?  Just say you are trying not to drink because you are trying not to poison yourself?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13148 on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:20 am »

I think I am going with "it's bad for the baby." Communicates "I do not want to talk to you about this."

Also that I am having a baby. You heard it here first.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13149 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:58 am »

So Keith, how long have you been in recovery?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13150 on: June 28, 2013, 03:37:21 am »

whenever i want a night or week or month or whatever without drinking, i just tell people i'm taking a break to detox. usually they go 'oh cool' and move on. sometimes it would generate a discussion, which i can usually sideline with a new question like 'where'd you get those glasses'
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13151 on: June 28, 2013, 03:48:36 am »

I guess, mostly, I needed to come up with a line because I am horrible at thinking on the spot, so I would probably answer with a long story about why I decided to go on meds that interfere with my alcohol life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13152 on: June 28, 2013, 05:49:30 am »

"It was making me act like an asshole like my [real or imagined alcoholic relative who acts like an asshole when drunk] so I stopped."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13153 on: June 28, 2013, 05:59:05 am »

Today I'm gonna realize that I really do hate all this Hamlet bullshit, all these cycles of anxiety and procrastination, the drama, the self-loathing, the helplessness, the inability to take sustained action, the hope against hope that something else is gonna intercede and get me out of this, the way I destroy everything good in my life by not having any fuck*ng confidence... but I have no idea how to start to dig myself out. None.

It's not clever, it's not charming, it's not effective but it is all I fuck*ng know and I'm trying to rewrite my resume and cover letter just to fuck*ng fuck fuck fuck*ng apply to a halfway decent day job and I'm so stressed out I have given myself goddamned diarrhea. No shit, pun originally unintended but cheerfully intended ex post facto, no shit I have actually stressed myself into the goddamned runs and I am a goddamned adult and I hate myself so much for all of it and I don't know how to stop hating myself so fuck*ng much for not amounting to fuck*ng anything and my run-on sentences too.

Fuck. I am a well-intending and relatively clever person but I am so fuck*ng unpleasant to actually be, you have no idea.

I can have more opportunity and support than 99.9% of the rest of the fuck*ng world and squander it all on self-loathing and procrastination.

What an asshole, you guys, holy shit.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #13154 on: June 28, 2013, 06:11:11 am »

I haven't drank since augustish 2009.  It wasn't to stop drinking though, just I hate drinking but love drinking and doing cocaine, so the only way to stop doing coke at least twice a week was to stop drinking.  I used to plan out and do like an 8 ball every few months and I would drink those days (after august 2009, i mean) but I think those days are over.  I smoked crack last July 4th and did e and coke In like march?  I think I am almost completely done with drugs that aren't psychedelics.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878   Go Up