Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 878   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I'm gonna...  (Read 1347032 times)

0 Members and 189 Guests are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2007, 07:02:49 pm »

2oz. of The Captain
1/2 the juice of a lime
Over ice, to the top with RC.

This is what I plan, and JL is right.

Fuck if I care if it's silly, I'm drinking.

A lady that I worked with in AK was craaaaazy about the RC Cola. She was from Indiana and was pissed that it was so hard to find. Whenever our grocery store would get some in, she and her husband would buy the entire lot.

Another friend of mine claims that Coca-Cola from Mexico is infinitely superior to the stuff we have here in the US, because when it's Hecho en Mexico they use sugar instead of corn syrup. I bought some Mexican cokes at the grocery store for him and I, so I'm going to nip downstairs and see if it's as good as he claims.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2007, 07:21:30 pm »

1. they have RC cola all over the place here
2. the mexican coke is like cheerwine in glass bottles, in that they both have real sugar (cheerwine in a bottle has actual cane sugar). I drank one once, and now I can never drink the usual stuff. I am not sure why my brain is dying, but I couldn't figure out how to state that first sentence
3. Mint Juleps FTW! (fuck the world, not "for the win")
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2007, 08:35:29 pm »

Man, could I ever go for a mojito right now.  Lime + sugar + mint = DELICIOUS

Recipe Link

Is there a way to make one without booze?  Maybe just add extra club soda? 

You can also make them with Sprite instead of club soda if you leave out the sugar.  Not ideal, but it will work in a pinch. 



Why would anyone try to find out?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2007, 08:39:32 pm »

I used to like RC when I was little, but they quality control at the local bottling plant was piss poor so you had about a 30% chance of ending up with mis-labeled diet RC instead. Lame.

With they ever invent a fake sugar that doesn't have an aftertaste like licking a monkey's ass?
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2007, 08:40:26 pm »

Cola made with real sugar is *always* better than cola made with corn syrup.  It has a different texture, even.  Every now and then I consider importing a batch of real-sugar Dr. Pepper from this place, but then I remember they charge twenty of your earth dollars to ship the stuff.  So I just go to the barbecue place by work which imports it.  Glass bottles, party people.

Today I'm going to not go to the Comic Con because the mere thought of trying to handle the traffic/parking/crowds/hygiene situation gives me the creeps.  My company is having a fan event at our offices, but it may have many of the same pitfalls so I'm probably not going to that either.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2007, 09:06:36 pm »

I used to like RC when I was little, but they quality control at the local bottling plant was piss poor so you had about a 30% chance of ending up with mis-labeled diet RC instead. Lame.

With they ever invent a fake sugar that doesn't have an aftertaste like licking a monkey's ass?

I drink diet soda, mostly Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Pepsi Max, because if I'm going to spend 140 calories on a drink, then that drink is damn well gonna be beer. I try to limit myself to one soda a day, since aspartame or sucralose is probably going to kill me in some horrible way that hasn't been discovered yet.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2007, 09:18:03 pm »

They make Coke with real sugar for passover - look for the yellow bottle cap.  We found a couple of bottles of it this year.  It has the useful effect of making me think it's not worth drinking soda the rest of the year.

But you know, there are a million Latino markets around here that might import it from Mexico... Oh dear. Let's pretend I never had that thought.

And as a matter of fact, they have lately found that diet soda is just as bad for you as real soda in some ways:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/ap_on_he_me/diet_soda_heart_risks_13
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2007, 12:17:01 am »

twenty of your earth dollars 

Canned for my creating my new temporary favorite term, "earth dollars."
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2007, 02:55:18 am »

Why would anyone try to find out [how to make a mojito without booze]?

Because I really want a mojito, but not badly enough to risk damaging the brain of my unborn child? 

I know one drink isn't going to make the baby grow horns or anything, but I felt weird drinking a sip of champagne at my sister-in-law's wedding tonight.  Plus, pregnancy makes me super-sensitive to taste and smell, and the mere aroma of hard liquor lately is enough to make me gag. 

I suppose, however, that there are some things in life that are easier to do without than to try to find a reasonable substitute.  Like real mashed potatoes.  I love them, but I'd rather have none than end up with a mouthful of instant. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2007, 03:19:58 am »

Well, you already have one, right?

The thing is, virgin drinks just never measure up. Can't be done. The liquor makes all the difference in the world.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2007, 03:20:45 am »

add sugar and ginger ale in place of the rum.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2007, 04:06:11 am »

Because I really want a mojito, but not badly enough to risk damaging the brain of my unborn child? 

I know one drink isn't going to make the baby grow horns or anything, but I felt weird drinking a sip of champagne at my sister-in-law's wedding tonight.  Plus, pregnancy makes me super-sensitive to taste and smell, and the mere aroma of hard liquor lately is enough to make me gag. 

I suppose, however, that there are some things in life that are easier to do without than to try to find a reasonable substitute.  Like real mashed potatoes.  I love them, but I'd rather have none than end up with a mouthful of instant. 

I completely forgot that you were pregnant. I was like, "Why would she wanna make a virgin mojito? Those would totally suck." Nabu is right that the virgin drinks don't measure up.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2007, 04:49:23 am »

... my unborn child? 


Wait, did we know about this?

Stupid short-term memory loss.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2007, 02:27:51 pm »

Nabu is right that the virgin drinks don't measure up.

Right. This is why I said that a mint limeade is good but don't compare it to a mojito. It's not fair to the limeade, which is a good thing on its own but different.  Limeade with ginger juice added is excellent also.

Unfortunately there are many reasons a person might have to pass on alcohol temporarily or long term, and why is it so hard to get anything else good to drink? It's frustrating to be in a restaurant that can make ten million different alcoholic drinks, but otherwise all you can get is Pepsi or something nasty like that. (Or to be at home and find that we have twenty kinds of wine, beer, sake and hard liquor and somehow have neglected to buy anything interesting that's non-alcoholic.)

Some brewpubs make their own root beer. That's a nice thing. If nothing else, cranberry juice with seltzer and a slice of lime is something any bar can do.

I was at some kind of fusion Latin American place a few weeks ago in Brooklyn that had a long list of fruit drinks, takeoffs on those Mexican fruit juices and different kinds of mixed drinks.  Why don't more places make an effort?  It would sure make more money for them than if I - and all those pregnant ladies - drink tap water.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Today I'm gonna...
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2007, 02:58:59 pm »

Hey there, that's my raison d'être you're stepping on.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 878   Go Up