Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07  (Read 3930 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:13:43 pm »

I really don't enjoy this one.  Not at all. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:21:50 pm »

I would enjoy it more if he didn't have the subtitles/translation there (I speak German, see).
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:43:20 pm »

hmm.

I like the idea of "remember how I don't speak german?"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:44:52 pm »

I liked this one.  Not sure why.  Probably my secret suspicion that when I try to talk Spanish to my coworkers it actually sounds like "My hovercraft is full of eels" to them, and they're just pretending delight at my competency.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:48:27 pm »

Off topic: is Mr. Bear English, or otherwise from the United Kingdom? I was thinking about this last night.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:53:15 pm »

That doorbell had better be setting up for something exciting.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 09:00:38 pm »

Off topic: is Mr. Bear English, or otherwise from the United Kingdom? I was thinking about this last night.

I can't recall if there's been a canonical reference to his origins. I could just be that in the minds of us Americans cultured and gentlemanly = English but I think things like Scotch eggs and his pub are pointing in that direction as well.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 12:03:46 am »

It's sad that Roast Beef's comments about McSweeney's now applies to Achewood.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 12:40:44 am »

It's sad that Roast Beef's comments about McSweeney's now applies to Achewood.

That would be hurtful to the artist if you weren't a 13 year old living in Ohio.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 01:53:44 am »

I liked this one.  Not sure why.  Probably my secret suspicion that when I try to talk Spanish to my coworkers it actually sounds like "My hovercraft is full of eels"

Beat'n to the inevitable Python reference, though I prefer "My nipples explode with delight!"

Which is basically the same joke as the strip.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 04:55:04 am »

I, too, am amused by the idea of someone's not knowing German being the driving force behind something patently unforgettable by all.

I am pretty sure I have never been in a situation where my ignorance toward the Teutonic tongue created timeless results.

We had a German exchange student when I was in high school but he is in a mental institution now so the language barrier had little to do with it, I suppose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 08:10:21 am »

That doorbell had better be setting up for something exciting.

I suspect there is no doorbell, I suspect Teodore simply wanted this conversation to end.

An ok strip, not a world-beater, but at least the title is correct.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

IsoscelesLock

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 12:46:25 pm »

Jough has a mediocre opinion of Achewood.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 08:02:31 pm »

Jough has a mediocre opinion of Achewood.

This is not news.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up