Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lets be real  (Read 9442 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 08:06:41 pm »


um PS certain people will be pleased to know that the other day I drank some beer and didn't think it tasted like piss. in fact, when I was done, I wanted more. But there was none.

This happens to me all the time.

I'm currently in a mild state of dread, as my keg of homebrew Hefeweizen is probably on its last legs, and I've been too busy to put something in the fermenter.

On the topic of the hard stuff, its probably old news that the real trick is to have a good breath of air in you before you do the shot, so that after its gone down you can blow the fumes out of your throat instead of inhaling them into your windpipe (which tends to cause the coughing).

Malt liquor warmed on an engine block sounds like a recipe for projectile vomiting.  Also, some single malts benefit from water (not ice).  It helps to "unpack" the various flavours that otherwise can get lost behind the ethanol burn.  I usually start them neat, then do a 1:4 with good quality water, and decide which one I like better for the third.  Beyond that, I don't waste the scotch as my ability to distinguish it from Old Crow is gone.  I'll switch to beer to make the evening last.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 08:15:30 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 10:02:48 pm »

so, to update, A-CAP has informed me by PM that my good friend is his fraternity brother.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 08:29:06 am »

I don't know - we kicked off my brother-in-law's wedding with better than a quart of tequila, done in shots, and that was at 10:00 in the morning. Of course, we're all pretty committed drinkers.

The only stuff I won't shoot is shit like Jager, all those goofy flavored schnapps, shit like that. I love a nice cold shot of vodka. I prefer bourbons on the rocks, but you gotta get after it, cause you don't want the ice to melt much. Single-malts and such you sort of gotta drink neat. I'm not really a straight gin guy. I don't tend to drink rum at all (fallout from trips to Cancun).

I guess I think of tequila as a party drink that I prefer to have with others and I always have trouble convincing people to join in until they're properly sloshed.
Hear hear on the  schnapps and such though, overly sugary spirits are for mixing not for shooting. Way too sickly.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 08:58:54 am »

so, to update, A-CAP has informed me by PM that my good friend is his fraternity brother.

Isn't it lovely how small the world is sometimes?

I was in this crazy market in Ubud (Bali) full of vendors shouting at me, then I heard someone call my name.  It was a fellow Canadian friend of mine.  Half way round the fuckin' world!

So Daniel (sorry I'm picking up Linnea's habit apparently) are you going to gossip with your buddy about A-CAP now?  And maybe A-CAP can do the same?  Is it time for embarrassing frat stories?!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 03:50:33 pm »

I was in a disco in Paris once and a friend of mine from Alaska that I hadn't seen in two years came up and said hi.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 08:02:21 pm »

good.

so, yeah. this ups the number of people I have weirdly run into who know my friends to... several. 4 or 5?

yeah, I am totally getting embarrassing stories about both of them through this wonderful resource.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 01:57:18 am »

I attended a graduation at Randolph Macon once. A buddy of mine spent a year at Hampden Sydney before returning home to Christopher Newport. My wife graduated from Lynchburg College.

Me... Division III state school, bitches.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 03:57:33 am »

a cute girl I noticed on campus ended up being my friend's childhood best friend.
a guy on my floor went to high school with my friend Jessica... in London.
My good friend Julia at school complained about how small the school is-- she cited that she constantly runs into her ex-boyfriend, John (lastname)... my friend's cousin. who I had been looking for all semester.
also, the same friend (the cousin of the ex) lives next door to a guy whose best friend is probably going to be my Anthropology professor this semester.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 02:20:33 pm »

When I was in college I had a class with Pedro's first-ever girlfriend from middle school. 

She apparently has always been really quiet and I don't think she spoke to anyone in the whole class (French) the entire semester, unless it was part of an assignment or something. 

Pedro says their quote-unquote relationship was pretty much the same way. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 02:43:52 pm »

When I was in college I had a class with Pedro's first-ever girlfriend from middle school. 

She apparently has always been really quiet and I don't think she spoke to anyone in the whole class (French) the entire semester, unless it was part of an assignment or something. 

Pedro says their quote-unquote relationship was pretty much the same way. 

We're all thinking the same thing, but none of us are brave enough to write it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 02:46:36 pm »

We're all thinking the same thing, but none of us are brave enough to write it.

As you should be. 

As we all know, my internet wrath is utterly terrifying. 

What?!?!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 11:47:59 am »

I.. I don't get it. Should I?

I've never really ran into anyone I know like that. I don't really know many people so it aint surprising.

Back in my merthyr scab-bag days, my mates and I used to drink the shittiest cheap vodka, tesco's own brand, straight. The trick was to swill the first shot round your mouth. it was absolutely minging, but killed your tastebuds so it'd be relatively drinkable afterwards. Apart from that I've only ever tried jack daniels, that shit really doesn't agree with me. My stomach actively repels it.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 04:58:53 pm »

When I was in college I had a class with Pedro's first-ever girlfriend from middle school. 

She apparently has always been really quiet and I don't think she spoke to anyone in the whole class (French) the entire semester, unless it was part of an assignment or something. 

Pedro says their quote-unquote relationship was pretty much the same way. 

Pedro's your husband, right?

I have a sort of similar story. I was at a party at the wild and crazy arts house (where all the pothead/alcoholics live, where I live now but did not live at the time of this story). This girl I lived next to freshman year who got ALL the straight girls who wanted to experiment came up to a group of my friends and said "My boyfriend from seventh grade is here!" and I went "You lie, you never had a boyfriend, you lesbian." And she laughed.

Then I realized it was this guy who had sent me a really nice message on MySpace (lame!) the day before, so I went up to talk to him. And now we've been dating for going on two years.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 05:22:28 pm »

I met my girlfriend because she was roommates with one of my friends from high school, a lesbian folk-rock chick, and their whole six-girl suite at college had come up to my town for the summer Erie Canal festival and were crashing at my friend's place.

Their college, SUNY-Purchase, doesn't have that many straight men at it and... my future/current girlfriend was the only girl in the group that self-identified as bi, let alone straight... and when my friend told my future/current gal whilst napping after the four-hour drive up that "there's a STRAIGHT BOY downstairs"...

She apparently lept out of bed to gussy herself up.

We've been together for just over eight years.

EDIT: Oh man, was this post 100,000? Because a bunch of balloons and confetti just fell on me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:28:05 pm by littlefallsmets »
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be real
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 05:34:48 pm »

I met my girlfriend because she was roommates with one of my friends from high school, a lesbian folk-rock chick, and their whole six-girl suite at college had come up to my town for the summer Erie Canal festival and were crashing at my friend's place.

Their college, SUNY-Purchase, doesn't have that many straight men at it and... my future/current girlfriend was the only girl in the group that self-identified as bi, let alone straight... and when my friend told my future/current gal whilst napping after the four-hour drive up that "there's a STRAIGHT BOY downstairs"...

She apparently lept out of bed to gussy herself up.

We've been together for just over eight years.

EDIT: Oh man, was this post 100,000? Because a bunch of balloons and confetti just fell on me.

Damn, we'd been talking in the super-secret xxx xxxxx that we were coming up on 100,000 and now we're up to 100,003 already. Of course that doesn't count deleted posts, but still.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up