Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS  (Read 6280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 05:41:59 pm »

Whores With Huge Pores? Homos at Perry Como's (R.I.P.)?

Alright, that's enough from me.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 05:59:09 pm »

I'm sure my opinion is well-known here, but I think if Onstad couldn't care less about what we thought, he wouldn't have kicked us out of his sandbox way back in Dumbrella days. 

He also would probably not point out in every single interview how very much he emphatically doesn't care.  Because he's an artist, and art is a way of connecting to other people, and to deny that that is your purpose in creating it is to deny that your work has a purpose at all. 

In fact, I'm pretty sure he reads this board occasionally, surreptitiously, and I wish he would speak up more often.  Especially when a strip doesn't go over well -- I'd like to know what he was going for sometimes, because I think a lot the strips that bomb are ones with really funny ideas behind them that just don't come across clearly. 

Then again, I think the Phillipe Times is a way for him to come up with a bunch of one-offs and not have to draw so much.  Sort of a break for him without giving us a break from content.  I don't particularly enjoy them, but I don't have to love everything the man does. 

I'm okay with that if he is. 

Also: Pigs with Twigs, Grannies with Fannies, Teenies with Peenies. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 06:10:19 pm »

You with A-CAP!

HNNYAHHH!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 06:18:52 pm »

Desperate to avoid work, I am seizing this opportunity to mention a recent change of attitude I have had about the question of whether Onstad reads the board. (Thank you, jl.)

Used to be, it was totally impossible for me to believe that he didn't lurk here. If there is a place where people talk about your work, how could you possibly resist reading it?  Don't we all wish we could overhear the conversations people are having about us?  I was positive that he had to, at least once in a while.

Then a few months ago I got a job where I write stuff and it gets published in newspapers. Which means it is sometimes on newspaper websites.

A friend of mine pointed out that at one newspaper there was a place for comments and I said I hadn't read them and had no intention to.

My friend found it totally impossible to believe that I didn't want to read the comments. I, of course, immediately thought of all the discussions we've had of whether Onstad read the board and realized, it absolutely makes sense that he would never come here.

I really, truly, have absolutely no interest in reading the comment threads.  When I've occasionally read one by accident because it was right on the same screen or suchlike, I never felt like it was something I needed to see. And they weren't mean or anything - Sometimes a nice comment, sometimes someone with an axe to grind promoting their pet cause or something.  But nothing that informed me or helped me do my work better.  Just not worth my time.

I had another incident where I posted something on a messageboard looking for interviewees.  This caused a great, fascinating Internet Kerfuffle in which my motives and personal reality were dissected and attacked. You know the sort of thing.  It's sort of interesting to have it happen to oneself, but only briefly. After I had watched it get going and acquired my interviewees, I never went back to follow the thread further. 

I do read (and answer) the rare email I get from a reader who bothers to write directly to me.  But I have absolutely no interest in reading comment threads and such. It would just be a waste of my time and effort and, if the comments were nasty, a waste of energy being annoyed by 13 year olds from Ohio and such.

Anyway, this is a long and work-avoiding way to say, I used to be totally unable to believe that Onstad didn't lurk here. But now that I have sort of been there, I find it completely plausible.

And back on topic: I like the Philippe Times. But not on Mondays!





Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:05 pm »

I want maximum cuddles with Onstad and afterwards he should sing me spanish techno.

Get a room!
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:36 pm »

Yes, but wombat:

http://touamb.com/index.php?action=profile;u=257

He might not have posted in over two years, but once he's had a taste of our sweet literary nectar, how could he stay away? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:52 pm »

Sure, curiosity may get the better of him once in a while, but checking in once every few years is enough to remind him that all it does is keep him from getting work done.   

I know, it's sad that he doesn't recognize our brilliance. But come on, we have each other. Isn't that enough?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 07:40:06 pm »

Girls with Xxxtra Curls.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 07:40:34 pm »

I just...

I know that this is not a nice thing to say, but I suddenly realized that we are a bunch of mega-nerds talking about a comic on an online message board. We are right above Cosplayers in the public's eye. WTF.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 07:42:49 pm »

I'm sure my opinion is well-known here, but I think if Onstad couldn't care less about what we thought, he wouldn't have kicked us out of his sandbox way back in Dumbrella days. 
Ahh, since I didn't get here until March of '04, I don't remember the Dumbrella days. I can't even remember the board's lineage. Didn't we have to migrate the board after the Dumbrella split? Did I join TOUAMB earlier than March '04? Argh, I fail to remember.

I just...

I know that this is not a nice thing to say, but I suddenly realized that we are a bunch of mega-nerds talking about a comic on an online message board. We are right above Cosplayers in the public's eye. WTF.

Man, speak for your own mega-nerd tendencies! This place is a community full of rad folks whose company I enjoy very much. Sure, we're bonded by our love of Achewood, but it's not our raison d'être.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 07:43:54 pm »

Poor linnea.  Denial is not a river in Egypt.

It's not too late for you, inev. You're young. You could go have a life.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 07:47:11 pm »

Poor linnea.  Denial is not a river in Egypt.

It's not too late for you, inev. You're young. You could go have a life.

Oh man, I just re-read my post. How asinine of me to say that - of course Achewood is the sole reason the board exists, but I meant to say that it's not, individually, my personal reason to live. I doubt that most folks on this board would qualify as slavish fanboys.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 07:55:35 pm »

Bitch, let your Freak Flag Fly!
But yeah, Achewood is hardly my reason for living. I just... talk about it a lot. And occasionally have to explain that, yes, I know a guy in St Louis, but no, I don't know his real name. I know him from the Internet.

People always assume I know you people from some sort of creepy chat-room. At this point I tell the stories like they happened to a friend from home, or a friend from school if I am home.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 08:14:47 pm »

Did I join TOUAMB earlier than March '04? Argh, I fail to remember.

Date Registered:    March 16, 2004, 10:58:32 AM


tI, I also tell message board stories all the freaking time. Although back in the day when I used to be on The Random Game board 24/7 we actually had emergency contact info in case anybody suddenly stopped posting.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: August 14th 2007: DOGS WITH HOGGS
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 09:31:25 pm »

Date Registered:    March 16, 2004, 10:58:32 AM


tI, I also tell message board stories all the freaking time. Although back in the day when I used to be on The Random Game board 24/7 we actually had emergency contact info in case anybody suddenly stopped posting.

Ash, I had no idea that we were part of your sordid underlife. Wow. I'm somebody's secret!

I also tell messageboard stories, though most frequently to Kelli since she knows of the board, and I'll qualify the person's name with "from the board" in case she doesn't remember since she's not on here as much as I am. It's similar to our BBS days whenever my sisters and I would refer to "Kaneda* from the boards" or whatever.  However, if a topic comes up with my other friends and one of y'all's stories bears repeating, I'll say vaguely, "one of my friends" or maybe branch out and say "a friend from the internet."


-----
*I did not misspell the name of smells' country.  Kaneda is a character in Akira, the dude that I knew on the BBS took his name from that film.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up