Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Indoor Fight  (Read 8635 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
The Great Indoor Fight
« on: August 22, 2007, 03:04:48 am »

So, I got engaged last Friday.  It was a decision that had been a long time coming, and was not made lightly.  But I have to admit that while I'd been kicking the idea around for a while, it was some time around this strip that I really started to think seriously about it.  I'm not saying I decided to get married because of a cartoon cat; clearly that would be absurd.  But it was influential.  The dude made some good points.

Is this awesome or pathetic?  Or both?  It is not clear.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 03:39:49 am »

Congratulations!  I have found in my personal experience that being married is extremely awesome.  I hope it is as nice for you as it has been for me these long years. 

I think that the neat thing about art like this, or like anything really, is that there is Something in it for you.  There is something going on in your life, and it is swimming around in your head, and you see something like the strip you referenced, and it combines with the thing in your head and makes you say, "oh, neat!"  That is what makes it Art. 

I'm glad that in this case, Art helped you and your Lady along the path to wedded bliss.  Good luck with that. 

Did you propose in some geekily romantic and wonderful way, like building a ring that would flash your anniversary in binary?  Or did you do the traditional "oops I dropped my fork" down-on-one-knee-with-ring-in-hand thing? 

We want details, we ladies do. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 04:34:39 am »

Well, she was already expecting a proposal because we had talked about it a couple of weeks ago over Mexican food and basically "unofficially" agreed that we were down with getting married, and we picked out a custom ring together, as she's allergic to a lot of metals so we had to order one made of titanium.  I had been debating setting up some kind of elaborate proposal, but as it turned out, the ring arrived several days earlier than expected, and once I had it I just wanted to go ahead and do it.  She came home from work and started eating a Popsicle, and I just got down on one knee and whipped it out (the ring).  Guess I'm not too good at the whole being romantic thing, but what can I say.  I like the direct approach.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 05:19:58 am »

Awesome, congratulations.

Glad to hear that your lady can tolerate titanium. I feel her pain because I also have a ton of metal allergies and extremely sensitive skin. I'm not sure if I'll be able to even wear a ring, which upsets me. (I have to wear a watch with a velcro wristband and even that has to be loose or else I get contact dermatitis, I can't wear earrings or any jewelry, and I have to sew or iron patches to the inside of my jeans and other ##### so that the metal rivets don't touch my skin. I can't buy bras with metal slidey things or metal clasps. I have to use unscented liquid detergent, unscented bath products, Etc.) Silver is right out, but I also can't wear 10kt gold. Maybe a higher karat weight of gold would work?

Kelli is getting a palladium ring and she's really happy about that, but she doesn't have the weird metal sensitivity like I do. I don't know if I could wear titanium, since I've never worn it and I don't have any titanium jewelry. One of my friends in Alaska couldn't wear her platinum ring (!) because it gave her a rash, so she went to a jeweler and had them do this special clear-coat.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:00:29 am »

Congratulations!  I have found in my personal experience that being married is extremely awesome.  I hope it is as nice for you as it has been for me these long years. 


The second time around is even better.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:31:05 pm »

Hey, congrats Gloomba.  Isn't it nice to know you've got someone to get wrinkly with?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:14:37 pm »

Congrats from a 10-year vet (coming up in Nov).  When its good, its very good.

I have to use unscented liquid detergent, unscented bath products, Etc.) Silver is right out, but I also can't wear 10kt gold. Maybe a higher karat weight of gold would work?

And yet you love wearing perfumes?  Why don't they bother your sensitivities?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 06:40:03 pm »

We are seven years in November.  What is with the November anniversaries? 

Keep this in mind when setting a date, gloomie.  November is the most marriageable month of them all.  It comes with an excellent dowry. 

By which I mean, people will finish off your registry for Christmas presents. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:21:58 pm »

The second time around is even better.

Word up, my brother.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:23:10 pm »

The second time around is even better.

Too soon, Dawg!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:59:49 pm »

damn, dude, congrats! Marriage is a thing i hope to enjoy one day, but I think 19 is too young in this day and age.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:24:47 pm »

Too soon, Dawg!

Someone should have told me so I could have gotten the first one out of the way even faster.

On a more serious note: do any of you have children who, :ahem: predate your nuptials? When they get to be 8 or so, what do you tell them? We have an anniversary date, we just add several (6!) years to it...but she's gonna catch on eventually.

Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:39:08 pm »

Congrats from a 10-year vet (coming up in Nov).  When its good, its very good.

And yet you love wearing perfumes?  Why don't they bother your sensitivities?

It's weird, innit? I don't know why I get allergic reactions to wearing perfumed deodorant or clothes that were laundered in powder detergent, but I can wear fancy-schmancy French couture parfum no problem. I am going to be a SAD PANDA on the day that I have allergic reactions to wearing perfume.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 07:15:05 am »

Someone should have told me so I could have gotten the first one out of the way even faster.

On a more serious note: do any of you have children who, :ahem: predate your nuptials? When they get to be 8 or so, what do you tell them? We have an anniversary date, we just add several (6!) years to it...but she's gonna catch on eventually.

Probably shouldn't have lied in the first place.  Then again, I am not christian, so what do I know.  Sorry to be an ass.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Indoor Fight
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 08:33:38 am »

I just want to say that titanium is awesome and therefore titanium wedding rings are awesome.

I'm pretty sure married superheroes wear titanium wedding rings.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up