Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"  (Read 8183 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 11:44:41 pm »

I agree with Wombat, although the strip was pretty funny nonetheless. Also, turbo, the underarm bowtie was the first thing I noticed. Maybe it's because Philippe doesn't really have much of a neck to speak of.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 12:20:41 am »

I agree with Wombat, although the strip was pretty funny nonetheless.

Well, sure. It's not necessarily a bad thing...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 12:24:12 am »

Haha, I didn't notice that underarm bowtie until you pointed it out. So in this strip we see Onstad having to construct makeshift solutions to two problems posed by the Phillipe character: he doesn't age and his arms extend up to his mouth.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 01:14:26 am »

The other day the Technical Staff opined that Andrew Zimmern of that Bizarre Foods show on the Travel Channel looks like Philippe. It's the shape of his head. Maybe that's what Philippe would look like if he ever grows up and puts on a little weight.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 03:07:02 am »

I thoroughly enjoy Phillipe birthday strips. Is this going to be a new recurring theme?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 03:41:30 am »

People have done cocaine at me and it turns the party in an awkward situation. "Wow *blank* is really talkative and insistent since he came out of the bathroom... I guess we should just agree with his point and move into another room where he isn't" Blank tried to argue that our rugby team should take over  every the regulatory body and tell everyone to mellow out.

I wonder if i can give my mother this birthday present. All jumping out of a locked room, sniffling and talking, and then go "surprise! Happy Birthday, your son isn't a cokehead!" At which point she would probably convinced that I am in fact a cokehead.

Wombat has a lurker admirer... thats cool.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 03:48:25 am »

yeah, um, I commented recently "wow, nic was so happy to see me! I mean, he hugged me! I didn't know he was such a nice guy is all."

"daniel... you're kidding. right? are you joking?"

yeah, apparently every time I have thought any of those people were being nice, they were drunk or high or coked up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

xSxFx

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 08:46:26 am »

Wombat has a lurker admirer... thats cool.

but i dont liek u

Also, I think it's the combination of the drug thematic, the dark shades, the especially animated Todd and Ray's Fanny & Alexander -esque tux that combine to give this strip its eerie weirdness. It's a lot more disturbing to me than Beef being pregnant, because really, the governor of California already did all that. But he never did coke at anyone in a dark room during a fifth birthday party. Far as we know.

Also, the fact that it's today's strip posted yesterday adds to the eeriness.
Logged
ja ikuisuus on tässä

Leon

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 11:27:22 am »

I share Philippe's birthday!

Man what a birthday strip

no-one gave me an non-addiction present though
Logged
... Boned ?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 11:46:15 am »

but i dont liek u

Aw, and I get a flame post from the guy! I'm really not sorry I don't "liek" meet your approval.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

xSxFx

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 12:42:36 pm »

Apologies for the highly obscure meme reference. I now have negative cans, but luckily some have taken them as their ticket to success.

My gift of contrition to you is that I am not addicted to PCP.
Logged
ja ikuisuus on tässä

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 12:54:41 pm »

Apologies for the highly obscure meme reference. I now have negative cans, but luckily some have taken them as their ticket to success.

My gift of contrition to you is that I am not addicted to PCP.

Oh, my first thought was that this was an Asobi Seksu reference, but the spelling probably should've tipped me off that I was wrong.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 01:09:58 pm »

It's interesting that Philippe is five and is having a birthday where he turns five...Does that mean that his previous birthdays take place on the same day as this strip, or does this replace them in continuity, or does he literally just turn five again every year?

The theological implications are staggering.

Quote
And if so, when was he actually born?

Five years ago. See, he just turned five.

I have to say, Onstad really brought the thunder today.  I was sitting here, my tube of "Meh" already extracted from the medicine cabinet, and I was ready to perform my now only semi-regular macabre dance of reading the strip just to be non-plussed by it, and then yesterday I laugh (out loud!) twice, and then today I'm just flabbergasted by the sheer joie de cocaine and something necessary and yet unexpected in each panel.

This is Achewood at its finest.  Could we have another GOF in our future?

Also, I am such a nerd that when I type "GOF" I think "Gang of Four," even though I am the one abbreviating it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 04:16:28 pm »

Quote from: The  News
U.S. Customs Seizes Sub Full of Coke     
Aug 23 10:23 AM US/Eastern               
MEXICO CITY (AP) - A submarine-like vessel filled with hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cocaine was seized off the Guatemalan coast, U.S. officials said.

Four suspected smugglers were operating the self-propelled, semi- submersible vessel when it was located and seized on Sunday evening by officials from the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, U.S. Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard, the Border Patrol said in a news release Wednesday.

When the suspects realized they had been spotted by drug-surveillance aircraft patrolling the eastern Pacific, they scuttled the vessel but were unable to escape.

Coast Guard officials, guided by the reconnaissance plane, intercepted the vessel and detained the reputed smugglers, who were transporting approximately 5.5 tons of cocaine worth $352 million, the Border Patrol said.

Several drug-carrying submarines operated by Colombian drug cartels have been discovered in recent years.

Man... why do we have to bring submersibles  into this? Little south american submarine all puttin along with 5.5 tons of cocaine. Give that thing to some marine biologists or something, don't be moving contraband plant extract.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »

Also, I am such a nerd that when I type "GOF" I think "Gang of Four," even though I am the one abbreviating it.

Shhhh....! *pushes the book out of sight....*
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up