I know, double-posting. Sorry, indulge me.
I got a linguistics question, too. There's going to be some background info in here that may or may not be pertinent, but I thought I'd throw it in. So, I'm in my morning call to town, trying to figure out what we did to earn yesterday's piece of our $200 million budget. There happens to be an African-American gentleman at this teleconference (at our end). He's sitting next to the guy who is filling in for the big boss. Anyway, the big boss guy (42 year old white fellow, went to school at Notre Dame) is discussing a job that has been placed on the back burner, or been delayed, or set aside, or whatever you'd call it. He, on the other hand, says that it "has gone to the back of the bus".
The first thing that goes through my mind is Rosa Parks. Obviously, any bus-related expression is fairly new. I suspect that the expression "back of the bus" originated with African-American people being asked to move back so white people could sit in the front of the bus. I don't think the expression was ever used in any other way until after Rosa Parks, and I daresay that it only rose to prominence through her. In other words, if someone uses this expression in a deliberately derogatory or offensive manner, it'll refer to Rosa Parks - and even if a person doesn't know that it's referring to her, that's where it came from.
So, I have to assume that he doesn't make that connection - i.e., when he thinks "back of the bus", he just connects it to other people who have said it, and never thinks of Rosa Parks at all. So I wonder, for all you imaginary folks out in intertubes land, if you think this is an offensive expression. I also wonder what you think about the way the language is changing in respect to expressions like this - because unless people are diligent about teaching their children about civil rights struggles, there will just naturally be fewer and fewer people who understand the origin of this particular expression. I just found it sort of interesting (and not prescriptivist vs. descriptivist, which is nice).
Back to your regularly scheduled programming, if this doesn't interest anyone.