Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Computers  (Read 10726 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Computers
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:25:50 am »

So I need a computer. I'm currently borrowing my roommate's old laptop, which I believe is a Pentium III that is still running Windows 2000. I tried to install Second Life upon the recommendation of a friend and it won't run.

I'm not looking for something slick, I'm looking for something around $100 (I got a computer at auction in Alaska for $20 that worked pretty damn well and could even run the latest Photoshop). Do you party people have any suggestions? I'm on funemployment so I doubt I can even get anything decent.  Should I try pawn shops? Specific places online? I'd love some help, here.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:03:33 am »

Craig's List?   100 is nothing, if you can find anything even remotely decent get it immediately.

That is my only advice.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 02:41:29 pm »

I think it's probably going to be pretty difficult to find a machine capable of running Second Life for $100 -- SL is kind of a demanding program and you need a fairly powerful (and thus, fairly new) computer to run it well.  Of course, who knows, you might be able to find some people on craigslist who are looking, for whatever reason, to unload their new-ish computer for a hundo, or you might find a decent computer at a pawn shop that cheap, but frankly I'd be wary that a decent computer being sold for that price is stolen.

So I think you'd probably have better luck spending that hundred bucks on hoss tranquilizers to knock out your friend so you can steal their computer.  After all, it must be capable of running SL or they wouldn't have suggested that you try it.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 02:47:20 pm »

Yeah, for $100, that's going to be virtually impossible.  If you're really dedicated and willing to do enough homework, you MAY be able to collect a bunch of people's discarded components (from craigslist or freecycle or something) and cobble them together into some sort of Frankenstein computer, but it would be pretty difficult.  I think this is pretty much a lost cause.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 02:51:47 pm »

Seized property auctions?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Computers
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:03:10 am »

So I need a computer. I'm currently borrowing my roommate's old laptop, which I believe is a Pentium III that is still running Windows 2000. I tried to install Second Life upon the recommendation of a friend and it won't run.

I'm not looking for something slick, I'm looking for something around $100 (I got a computer at auction in Alaska for $20 that worked pretty damn well and could even run the latest Photoshop). Do you party people have any suggestions? I'm on funemployment so I doubt I can even get anything decent.  Should I try pawn shops? Specific places online? I'd love some help, here.

Strongarm robbery - the kind where you just kick someone's door down and steal their shit. And if you get some nice stuff you don't want, can I have it?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 07:26:33 am »

Get this one.

I agree it probably isn't going to run Second Life, but it will probably run older/less intensive games just fine, and can probably handle the interwebs with gusto.  I would like for it to have at least 1Gb of RAM (or 2 for a new one), but 512Mb will do for XP if you don't get too crazy.

That's a lot of probably.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Computers
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 07:49:16 am »

If older computers mean that less thirty-five year old men can have lesbian sex as giant anthropomorphized rabbit-women on an imaginary island they paid ten thousand real dollars for... under a sky sponsored by the newest Mountain Dew variant... then, brother, I don't wanna be right.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Computers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 08:18:03 am »

from what I understand, everyone in Second Life is doing one of two things:
-having bizarre fake sex
-writing an article about how Second Life is groundbreaking, amazing, a whole new frontier, etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 08:34:06 am »

My experience with SL lasted under a week. it was an interesting concept at first and then I quickly realized what a scam it was and it quickly became boring. I guess if i had oodles of money to buy the fake online currency and  throw it around some internet world, then ok, but well... I dont.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Computers
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 06:14:41 pm »

Apparently the newest trend in SL is getting raped by a virtual unicorn and having its unicorn baby.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:30 pm »

Apparently the newest trend in SL is getting raped by a virtual unicorn and having its unicorn baby.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

V, will you have my retarded unicorn baby?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Computers
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 08:59:11 pm »

Apparently the newest trend in SL is getting raped by a virtual unicorn and having its unicorn baby.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Dude, no. Just no. How can that be legal and prostitution not be? Do people not have any shame anymore?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Computers
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 09:33:28 pm »

Upon further research of the Second Life phenomina, it seems that we have finally built The Hammer.

The Hammer is part of a story I've been working on where...

God or an alien or something is considering whether to wipe out the human race and we are left, those of us who want or do not want the human race wiped out, to agree on one piece of evidence each and to present them to the judge making the decision.

The Hope would be the one thing we could hang our hats on to prove our continuing worth.

The Hammer would be the one thing that proves we should basically just die.

A long time ago, I decided that The Hope would be playing "Abbey Road" for the judge.

For a long time, I assumed an episode of Family Guy would be The Hammer.

But no.

Show this alien or God an explanation of Second Life and down comes The Hammer.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Computers
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 10:13:09 pm »

Sometimes I forget to tell you that you are awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up