Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 5264 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 01:36:13 am »

As far as I understand it, yeah.

In the strict orthodox view of Judaism, unless you were born out of a Jewish pu$$y, you ain't actually Jewish.

Strict matriliny... despite the fact that there's not a whole lot more women's rights in orthodox Judaism than in any other fundamentalist religion.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 02:15:44 am »

I kind of like the rationale for that.  That being, you always know who the kid's mother is, but you can't be sure about the babydaddy. 

Basically Judaism doesn't trust people.  I'm down with that. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 02:22:08 am »

I kind of like the rationale for that.  That being, you always know who the kid's mother is, but you can't be sure about the babydaddy. 

Basically Judaism doesn't trust people.  I'm down with that. 

Actually in all of biology we find that babys look more like their fathers than their mothers. It is obvious who the mother is, but in order for a father to truly care for a newborn baby, he must be sure it is his.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 02:26:56 am »

Sure, A-CAP, but do you know how many women in this world have boffed their husbands' brothers? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 02:35:06 am »

Sure, A-CAP, but do you know how many women in this world have boffed their husbands' brothers? 
Pedro, be warned.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 03:07:42 am »

no, I'm pretty sure you can convert, even to Orthodox judaism. Because, I mean... the first Jews had to convert, correct? taking up the covenant and all that?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 03:11:32 am »

no, I'm pretty sure you can convert, even to Orthodox judaism. Because, I mean... the first Jews had to convert, correct? taking up the covenant and all that?

But the first ones were chosen. All other tribes were bad and evil.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 03:34:56 am »

Sure, A-CAP, but do you know how many women in this world have boffed their husbands' brothers? 

Well, I don't know about A-CAP, but I don't have any idea at all.  Do you have inside information?

Chalk up another reason I am glad to be an only child.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 04:02:02 am »

Quote
But the first ones were chosen. All other tribes were bad and evil.

no no no, God offered the covenant to other tribes first. The Jews were the only/first ones to accept.

at least, that is what I have been told.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 05:25:00 am »

the jews broke the covenant by worshiping the cow they made. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 06:00:10 am »

the jews broke the covenant by worshiping the cow they made. 

People have broken god's covenant since day one, but the golden calf is a particularly noteworthy example.

Also, it is hilarious to hear people bandying about shit they've overheard about religion. All Jewish souls were present at the time that Moses revealed God's commandments, even the people who didn't convert until 5,000 years later. It is true that there isn't proselytizing in Judaism. One of my best friends converted to marry his wife, and now he studies with a Chabad rebbe. It's a complex religion.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:03:56 am by linnea »
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 09:25:02 am »

Two more pages and we'll have this Judaism shit down.

We should probably let them know once we've figured it all out. They might be doing it wrong.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 09:50:07 am »

Yeah I always figured that if I were religious Judaism would be a good bet this is mainly because of the Talmud which was first described to me as discusssion of how the Torah and other jewish teachings should be interpreted. It just seemed very cool that there was a religion that was comfortable enough with itself that interpretation and discussion of the teachings were encouraged.
I might be totally misinformed but the Jews seem to have their shit together.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 02:33:50 pm »

In principle, questioning is a virtue in Judaism. The idea is that if you haven't examined what you believe and had it challenged, how can you be sure you believe it? That said, some (quite a few) of the orthodox sects have this thing going where if your questions don't come up with answers in the right vicinity there's something implicitly wrong with you, which seems like extensive pointmissing to me.

It's possible to convert to Judaism but for many purposes a first-generation convert isn't considered "fully Jewish". This won't affect your afterlife prospects or your relationship with God or anything like that, but for things like funeral funds and Israeli citizenship you often won't qualify. The idea, like with the rabbi trying to dissuade you, is to keep people from converting for reasons other than an actual desire to embrace the Jewish faith. That said, some people will hold various kinds of prejudice against converts, but what can you do about dicks.

Belated l'shanah tovah to y'all too. I was going to make some kind of shofar/fo'sure inversion pun here but I couldn't think of one.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up