Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: We-Adore V-Adore!  (Read 4321 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 02:48:32 pm »

I'm with V.  Cake sucks. 

I haven't had cake for my birthday since I was nine.  We always have ice cream cake or cheesecake.  Usually ICC since Pedro is afraid of the idea of cream cheese.  And for his birthday, we always have Giant Cookie. 

We had cake at my wedding, over my strenuous objections. 

We're leaning towards a cupcake tree for our wedding. According to an exchange teacher my mom worked with they don't have those in New Zealand. The woman was amazed by the concept. She was like, "so they're tiny little cakes? Like each person gets their own? That's adorable! How would you even make something like that?"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 04:23:30 pm »

Um, people.
Cake is not something you're allowed to dislike. Even my friend Katie, who is allergic to wheat, misses cake and loves it. Cake is amazing.
My mom's chocolate cake has made men weep.

as a babe, my grandmother gave me a tiny slice of cake. She was not supposed to have done this.
Upon her return, my mother discovered that I had learned a new word. "COOOOCK! COCK!"
"Mom... what is he saying?"
"COCK! COCK!"
"*looks over at cake*MOM! WHY DID YOU... DANIEL! NO CAKE UNTIL YOU EAT YOUR DINNER!"
and then I started crying.

the best part about this story is that now it is a Thing in my family to call Cake "Cock". And I didn't realize until really recently when I tried to write the word out that... my family had been running around the house screaming "COCK! GIVE ME COCK!"
I mean, maybe there is a subtle difference? I am not really sure how to differentiate... it is a tiny bit more of an A sound than in "cock".
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 06:56:55 pm »

Um, people.
Cake is not something you're allowed to dislike. Even my friend Katie, who is allergic to wheat, misses cake and loves it. Cake is amazing.
My mom's chocolate cake has made men weep.

as a babe, my grandmother gave me a tiny slice of cake. She was not supposed to have done this.
Upon her return, my mother discovered that I had learned a new word. "COOOOCK! COCK!"
"Mom... what is he saying?"
"COCK! COCK!"
"*looks over at cake*MOM! WHY DID YOU... DANIEL! NO CAKE UNTIL YOU EAT YOUR DINNER!"
and then I started crying.

the best part about this story is that now it is a Thing in my family to call Cake "Cock". And I didn't realize until really recently when I tried to write the word out that... my family had been running around the house screaming "COCK! GIVE ME COCK!"
I mean, maybe there is a subtle difference? I am not really sure how to differentiate... it is a tiny bit more of an A sound than in "cock".

That is a fuckin' hilarious story, tiny can for you.

My mom made chocolate cake from scratch a few times...and sweet baby Jesus, that stuff is heavenly. I am part of the cake-fan demographic. Also, they make gluten/wheat-free cake mix and flour, but it's just not the same.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 08:11:17 pm »

I wonder what would happen if someone who was allergic to wheat/gluten married a vegan?  (Or became a vegan, although I don't know why someone would do this to himself.)  Short of separate dinners every night, I can't think of a way to cook for this pairing. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 08:41:06 pm »

I wonder what would happen if someone who was allergic to wheat/gluten married a vegan?  (Or became a vegan, although I don't know why someone would do this to himself.)  Short of separate dinners every night, I can't think of a way to cook for this pairing. 

What makes you think that vegans eat a lot of wheat? There's a metric shit ton of vegan celiac/anti-gluten foods out there.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 08:50:26 pm »

I'm just thinking that if you don't eat any meat, eggs, or dairy, you're probably going to gravitate towards things like pasta and bread along with your veggies. 

I guess there are a lot of gluten-free pastas on the market these days, as well -- but like you said earlier, it's not quite the same. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 09:09:31 pm »

Oh, It is totally easy cooking for someone like that! I dated a girl for 2 years whose daughter was allergic to all of the following:

Beef, Chicken, Pork
giraffe, Shellgiraffe
Wheat/Gluten
Peas
Berries
Oats
Barley
Eggs
Dairy
Soy
All nuts

She lived off of White Rice, Rice Crispies, Potato Chips and Soy Milk (Even though she was allergic to soy the doctor said soy milk was much better for her than rice milk). Cereal for breakfast, steamed rice for lunch/dinner and chips for a snack, easy as pie.

If you want to stray from that is gets harder though. We got pretty creative with the recipes too. We made or attempted to make wheat free/vegan: Pancakes, Birthday cake, waffles, muffins, cookies and other baked goods. Paul Newman ("Mah boy says he can eat fitty eggs, he can eat fitty eggs") has a great line of wheat free/vegan cookies too.

So it is possible. I am now an expert on food labels and what milk derivatives can be hiding in products (for instance, manufacturers can put whatever they want into "natural flavoring" without tell you there are milk/animal products in there. Also McDonald's uses milk in their fries, and never told anyone for many years.)
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 10:40:06 pm »

Also McDonald's uses milk in their fries, and never told anyone for many years.)
Shades of the beef tallow scandal.  You'd think they would learn.
I had a summer job there after the 1990 switch from tallow.  They did indeed make a big deal about the reduction in saturated fat accomplished by the change.  At the time the new oil was promoted as canola derived.  I know a lot of veggie types who happily crunched fries and hashbrowns, unknowingly contributing to the depth of humanity's crimes against bovines.

My brother's current girlfriend is a non-pitchfork-carrying vegan.  I tried to make her a vegan apple pie last Thanksgiving, which she was very appreciative of.  To my palate it was on the low end of edibility, however.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 03:40:56 am »

Happy Belated, V.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 03:52:52 am »

Happy Belated, V.

What he said.  Only more so.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up