Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?  (Read 22843 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 04:03:02 am »

No one outside of two families (my dads and his brothers) has my last name.  Seriously.  My only male cousin is gay and I am the only male in my family so, well, I hate kids and my name is going down with me, barring an accident.


(I don't hate kids, but I can't have that responsibility).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:13:04 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2007, 04:19:48 am »

No one outside of two families (my dads and his brothers) has my last name.  Seriously.  My only male cousin is gay and I am the only male in my family so, well, I hate kids and my name is going down with me, barring an accident.

Um dude, I'm pretty sure that there are hell of Hernandezes in Mexico.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2007, 05:06:58 am »

I'm also the end of the line for my family, more or less; there are plenty of us in the entire rest of the world, but it never quite hit America in the way it did most of the rest of the places the Dutch colonized. Also, we are remotely descended from an Important Historical Person, and we get asked about it (accurately) more often than you'd think.

Going to college where I did was also fun, because a lot of people just assumed that "Dutch last name" + "going to college in western Massachusetts" = "has to be from Albany or upstate New York." This was especially amusing the year I was actually living with an upstater with an Anglo last name.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2007, 02:06:24 pm »

I wish Gold Gloves really meant something, but they are too often bullshit.  I think a given player's first GG is usually meaningful, but after that they tend to just give it to the same guy every year unless he gets hurt or has an absolute meltdown.  It helps to be good offensively, too; they gave one to Bobby Abreu a couple years ago, and frankly he's a shitty outfielder.

BTW, here's the view from our seats at Citizen's Bank Park yesterday.  Great atmosphere, lousy result.

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2007, 04:50:37 pm »

Um dude, I'm pretty sure that there are hell of Hernandezes in Mexico.

But do they all do coke and field first base as well as ours?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2007, 05:07:35 pm »

I see my surname on basketball and football players.  Its unlikely we share any ancestors however, as my branch of the family came over in the mid 1800s and was confined to Northern states until my uncle moved to Virginia in the '70s (where they call him a damn Yankee and mutter darkly when he wears his blue forage kepi).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:59:38 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2007, 05:40:52 pm »

Every time I feel proud of having a fairly unique last name (McInnis), I remember that my grandpa was adopted and his real family's last name was Moore. That one's quite a bit more common, and to add insult to injury, it's a named shared by a pretty historic douchebag.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2007, 03:00:09 pm »

YES YES YES. As a fellow M's fan, YES. I think Edgar deserves to be in the Hall, but I'm hard-pressed to think of another DH that does.

Let's define what makes a player a DH.  Paul Molitor, Eddie Murray and Dave Winfield all used the DH rule to collect 3,000 hits.  It's likely that none of them could've been worth a spot in the starting nine if they still had to play defense for nine innings, 150 times a year so I'd say they earned their tickets to Cooperstown as Designated Hitters.

Jim Thome might be a DH now, but he's only played 20-some percent of his career games as a DH.  He was almost always a fielder with the Indians and he didn't have a choice as a Phillie.  A guy like Travis Hafner, on the other hand, will probably play 90%+ as a DH over his career with just enough 1B starts in Interleague Play to stay eligible in fantasy leagues.  If Hafner finishes with career number similar to, or better than, Thome's, doesn't he deserve the same consideration from HOF voters?

(This post brought to you by a guy who really likes Travis Hafner)
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2007, 06:11:06 pm »

I'm pretty lenient on the Designated Hitters in the Hall of Fame debate. It helps that I was born well after the rule went into effect and grew up a fan of not only an AL team, but a team that contained the greatest DH of all time.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2007, 06:22:05 pm »

I guess that I just am the type that deals in "should" and "shouldn't" instead of "is" and "is not".

The designated hitter shouldn't exist and if you're so incomplete a player that you had to spend a significant portion of your career, you're not a Hall of Famer. And, indeed, even you had a position for the majority of your career, time as a DH should be one of the factors going against you. Not an automatic out but one of your negatives.

We're talking about The Hall of Fame, here. The best players ever.

If you couldn't play a defensive position for most of your career, how could you possibly belong with the best players ever?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2007, 08:27:38 pm »

I understand your point. But at the same time, having a DH means we get the double satisfaction of seeing guys like David Ortiz be able to hit while also avoiding the terror of half the league's pitchers going up to the plate.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2007, 08:45:37 pm »

I... I LOVE watching a pitcher hit.

Love it.

There's nothing more awesome than a pitcher lacing a single outta nowhere and rattling the opposing team.

There's nothing more awesome than an "automatic out" turning into a well-placed sac bunt.

Or the humiliation of walking the opposing pitcher! That is an awesome humiliation!

And the game-changing ability of the handful of pitchers who can hit .240 or better, man, I love that shit.

It make the game all the more like chess to me.

The DH sucks so much of the strategy out of the game.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2007, 09:22:37 pm »

I... I LOVE watching a pitcher hit.

Love it.

There's nothing more awesome than a pitcher lacing a single outta nowhere and rattling the opposing team.

There's nothing more awesome than an "automatic out" turning into a well-placed sac bunt.

Or the humiliation of walking the opposing pitcher! That is an awesome humiliation!

And the game-changing ability of the handful of pitchers who can hit .240 or better, man, I love that shit.

It make the game all the more like chess to me.

The DH sucks so much of the strategy out of the game.

I'm an AL team fan but I agree totally with this post.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2007, 01:48:22 pm »

Agreed.  The ability to hit well for a pitcher is half of what makes Livan Hernandez so awesome.  And how about that Micah Owings dude?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Craig Biggio - Hall of Famer?
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2007, 03:21:58 pm »

Agreed.  The ability to hit well for a pitcher is half of what makes Livan Hernandez so awesome.  And how about that Micah Owings dude?

I wonder what the other half is, because I certainly know it isn't his pitching ability.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up