Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: More music please  (Read 6429 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: More music please
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 02:45:24 am »

this band called Bird and the Bee have an EP which I enjoy so far. The song I like that I have heard is Polite Dance Song. The vocals on the real version sound better.

I heard their song "Again and Again" somewhere and it's become a favorite of mine. They're on tour at the moment, but playing nowhere near you or me yet.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: More music please
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 03:00:32 am »

was it on Grey's Anatomy? Don't be embarrassed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: More music please
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 04:32:42 am »

NRPS? 

Badfinger :: The Beatles

NRPS :: The Grateful Dead
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: More music please
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 07:09:38 pm »

It figures that not one week after I finally cave and buy the New Pornographers' Challengers at Best Buy, it finally comes out on eMusic.  Fuckers.

I also picked up Iron & Wine's The Shepherd's Dog, and I find it fan-fuck*ng-tastic.  The New Pornos album has some good moments but seems somewhat uneven (of course, I've only listened to it twice so far, so I could change my mind).

Good pickup on eMusic:  Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: More music please
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 08:22:44 pm »

I've been listening to the "Illinois Street Lounge" station on somafm pretty much non-stop lately. It describes itself as "Classic bachelor pad, playful exotica, and vintage music of tomorrow." I can't really describe it any better than that.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: More music please
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 09:58:17 pm »

It figures that not one week after I finally cave and buy the New Pornographers' Challengers at Best Buy, it finally comes out on eMusic.  Fuckers.

I also picked up Iron & Wine's The Shepherd's Dog, and I find it fan-fuck*ng-tastic.  The New Pornos album has some good moments but seems somewhat uneven (of course, I've only listened to it twice so far, so I could change my mind).

Good pickup on eMusic:  Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators.

So far I have only heard Boy With a Coin, which I liked very much. Recommend any other tracks, or is the album better as a package?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: More music please
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 12:36:32 am »

So far I have only heard Boy With a Coin, which I liked very much. Recommend any other tracks, or is the album better as a package?

Oh, dude!! You cannot go wrong with Iron & Wine. I have Our Endless Numbered Days (highly recommended), The Creek Drank The Cradle (also highly recommended), and the newest one, The Shepherd's Dog (also highly recommended), which where the single from Boy With a Coin came from. The song BWAC puts me into a hypnotic trance. Sam Beam is a genius.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: More music please
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 02:08:49 am »

What she said.  The whole album's pretty good.  I believe my favorite track is "White Toothed Man."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: More music please
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 03:22:09 am »

What she said.  The whole album's pretty good.  I believe my favorite track is "White Toothed Man."

That is such a great song. Tiny can.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: More music please
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 09:08:35 am »

Oh, I am already a big fan of Mr. Beam, I just hadn't checked out anything from his new album yet. However, on your recommendation, I now have the full Shepherd's Dog album. I will allow it to seep into my gray matter fully over the next few days. But for now, my faves will remain Jezebel and Freedom Hangs Like Heaven.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: More music please
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 09:20:46 am »

I need to give Our Endless Numbered Days another spin or ten. While I already love "Each Coming Night" (it was on a mixtape a college friend gave me), the rest hasn't quite sunken in yet. I suspect it'll be like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea was, where I listened to it about six times with no particular opinion and then suddenly the "love this album" switch flicked on inside my head.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: More music please
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 07:57:54 am »

I am pretty overwhelmed by how awesome this song is.
Maybe it's that I have only heard it in my friends' car, and they were all singing along and dancing.
maybe it's that i associate it with the girl I like.
but this song is so good. i want to spread the love.

A baby girl in those baby ******
A come over here and take a second chance
Take a second chance on me
Cause I know you want to dance
But you say, I don't do that kind of thing
Say what!? I don't do that kind of thing
Why not!? I don't do that kind of thing
And you say, I don't do that kind of thing-- okay!

CAN I GET GET GET TO KNOW NA KNOW KNOW YOU BETTER BETTER BABY?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:03:30 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: More music please
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 08:12:39 am »

Here is a song I talked about the other day.  I like it.


http://tyr.imeem.com/music/o3lpEK6L/the_national_city_middle/
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: More music please
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 09:32:12 am »

also: lately I have been pretty into The Cardigans. Pop music made by metalheads, one of whom has a degree in jazz composition, and a woman with a voice like an angel? So good.

My band is going to cover Love Fool in this battle of the bands thing, and it's going to be the greatest thing ever. We are rapidly going from an angular noisy post-punk thing to... this crazy new-wavey thing with keyboards and covers of Love Fool and stuff. I like the idea of playing music that people will want to dance to, as contrary as this style is to almost all of the music I like.

if you don't know what song I mean, you have led a sad life. This is it, but the audio quality is not great. The only parts our version lacks are the backing vocals and the really distorted guitar part. The keyboard arpeggios are played on guitar. And... our vocalist isn't as good, but, you know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: More music please
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 02:01:56 pm »

Love Fool is a violation of the Geneva Convention. It goes beyond "Ear Worm" into the realm of Tactical Offensive Weapon.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up