Onstad: "Man this seemed like a good idea at first, i mean i hadnt used todd in awhile and cocaine is always a lark.... I need some sort of immediate terminus to this train wreck. Pop."
I have this sneaking suspicion that Onstad conceived of this arc with the sole intention of offing Todd. Then again, I've thought the same thing about as many of Todd's appearances as not in the past.
In any case, I like how this started as a Todd arc, overstayed its welcome, and seemingly moved on with the "forget about Todd" strip... then basically just did a one-off and veered straight back to Todd again, even after half the original premise (Ray exploiting his addiction) had just been completely deflated. It was pretty amusing, in a "meta" kind of way - an anti-GOF, if you will.
I am a big fan of a phrase being so perfect that your head explodes.
It's even better when you consider that the alt-text implies something a bit different. His life just ended. The idea didn't overwhelm Todd's brain and make it explode; it was just so perfect, there was no longer any reason for him to stay alive. Then, instead of just keeling over, his body went into full auto-destruct mode. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the idea of "head exploding messily" as the default way for somebody to die is still pretty damn funny.