Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property  (Read 6446 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:25:30 pm »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21529255/
According to Mississippi state law says a wife is the husband's property (one of seven states that still have the law on the book). So this guy is suing some multi-millionaire for "stealing" his wife. The basis is "alienation of affection". Homeboy wants to take this all the way to the Supreme Court. God Bless America.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:47:35 am »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21529255/
According to Mississippi state law says a wife is the husband's property (one of seven states that still have the law on the book). So this guy is suing some multi-millionaire for "stealing" his wife. The basis is "alienation of affection". Homeboy wants to take this all the way to the Supreme Court. God Bless America.

Anthony Robbins got sued by his gorgeous blonde wife's ex-husband on the premise that Mr. Robbins "stole her away". Alienation of affection was also a primary argument. The ex tried to commit suicide after Sage left him for Mr. Robbins and it was widely publicized, also because Mr. Robbins is such a self-help guru. She's not chattel, so the judge threw out the "stolen property" argument. I have no idea how this case will end up, though. It's not like the Robbins case set new legal precedent or anything.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 01:57:03 am »

"Alienation of Affection" is totally my favorite Sunny Day Real Estate album.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:59:54 am »

What? they don't have an album called that...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:47:04 am »

But it should be. I think that's the point that's trying to be made here.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:09:09 am »

yeah, I was pretty sure it was a joke.

come on, people, they are a good band. I like the music they make.

I get hell of dirty looks when I enter into conversations by saying something like "dude, I totally love emo!"
and slightly dirtier ones when I say "but, not what people call emo now..." and go into a big thing about post-hardcore and all that stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 02:16:26 am »

It was a joke, yes. But don't take that to mean that I don't like SDR! I basically do exactly what you mentioned in your third paragraph.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 02:30:05 am »

I'm sorry but any form of music where you need more than one paragraph to coherently explain the genre and its title, it doesn't actually count as music. This is a rule I have. It is a very important rule.

"Post-hardcore"? Really? I... uh... no offense, my party-people but... no, sir, I don't buy it.*

*said in the voice of Mr. hoss from "Ren and Stimpy".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 02:35:49 am »

damn, dude, who died and made you associate commisioner of what is music?

"Emo" comes from the phrase "Emotional Hardcore," referring to the late-80's development of hardcore punk into a style with more complex guitar parts (often including 2 guitarists) and less screaming. Takes a lot of influence from punk, but also introduced new conventions.  Later developments were more influenced by pop-punk, becoming a more popularized form, while other groups took their cues from more experimental rock groups like Slint.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 02:53:38 am »

One only need listen to Hot Water Music's "Fuel For the Hate Game" to see that post-hardcore is capable of kicking serious ass.

Edit: Genre labels are pretty stupid, though. By and large.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 03:35:53 am »

There is a great lineage of music-snobbery attached to the Y-chromosome that my grandfather passed onto all of his male descendants. If I was born with telepathy, would you expect me to not use it, just because not many people have it? Of course not.

We're just good at it, is all.

Also, it is not that I am saying that some of the bands grouped under a genre label might not be good. I am sure that a few of them are, even in the weirdest named genres.

But if your genre is called something like "post-shoegaze-core-shlemezel-schlamazel-hossenpheffer-incorporated-core"... and you make good music? You are definitely the exception and not the rule.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 03:41:20 am »

dude, post-hardcore is not that complicated of a name.

I mean, really, this just comes from the fact that nowadays we have recorded music, so we are more aware of a particular music's history.

as opposed to, you know, thinking that Folk Music just sprung out of the ground when God made Adam and gave him a banjo.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:44:55 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 03:52:07 am »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 04:13:43 am »

Well... explain to me the fashion in which it is post, for one, Nev.

How is it... after hardcore?

I have heard people play me "hardcore" and I have heard people play me "post-hardcore" and...

Whether I "like" or "dislike" the given sample, it all sounds like the same kind of music to me.

Dudes all purposely rejecting the idea of sounding like music because it is a movement a lot more about the scene around the music than actually sounding like music, most of the time. The pose before the product. The massage before the message.

And maybe 10% of the time it is interesting, usually despite itself.

There... there basically isn't anything more antithetical to my point of view on the rock and roll music than the idea of "punk". Everyone can enjoy what they want and... totally penisltov to that... but anything where there is a PREMIUM put upon not really knowing how to tune or use the tools at hand is not my thing.

My Thing is getting so good at the tools at hand that you can go beyond them not... uhm... despite them.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Man sues over stolen wife. MS law says shes his property
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 04:16:59 am »

Who was it that said "Writing about music is like tap-dancing about architecture."

Genre labels are pretty much meaningless to me.  Music is either good or it isn't, no matter what category you try to force it into.  I suppose genres can be useful if you want to find music similar to something you already like.  But otherwise, I don't care what you call it.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up