On of the biggest anti-USAish (it is hard to describe this guy, and that isn't really right, but he is definitely anti-Haggard's views) comes from Muscogee, or however you spell that shit hole.
More recommendations: The Flatlanders. This is a must. Get "More a Legend than a Band." Amazing Musical Saw. Joe Ely- member of the Flatlanders, they are better than him, but he is still good alone.
John Prine- I don't know if this is exactly Country but I think it is. Sings "Illegal Smile" but his career is so much better than this. Other songs include a great one about a Vietnam vet who is a heroin addict, with lyrics Spiritualized stole ("Sam Stone") and "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore." These are all on his self-titled.
Jerry Jeff Walker- Don't know what the album I have is called, but it is live and amazing. Sings "London Homesick Blues," the intro song to Austin City Limits.
Terry Allen- "Lubbock (On Everything)"- He, like the rest of these recommendations (maybe not Prine, I don't know too much about him), represents the best parts of the plains, were I have spent my whole life. See, there is a lot of empty space out here, and a lot of people that conform, but those who don't are usually the coolest people you can meet. Good example of this would be the guy who made the Cadillac Ranch (
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXAMAcadillac.html ). My hippie looking friends(again, not a good description) and I were in a random wedding there on our way back from Santa Fe once.
Anybody wants any of this tell me and I will post it somewhere.
Edit: Also, anything Gram Parsons has ever done- especially The Byrds album he is on and solo stuff. And The Band.