Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Country Music.  (Read 4747 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:36 am »

Oh!  Some Canadian music to check out:

I highly recommend The Be Good Tanyas album Blue hoss.

All of Sarah Harmer's stuff is great (but if you're specifically seeking a country sound vs a folky sound I'm a Mountain is the album to start with).

Also Christine Fellows, though not country, is so good, I must mention her in the company of these other ladys on principal.  One of my best friends is sitting in the front row in this video.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 01:00:28 pm »

I'm not a big country and western fan but Slim Dusty is an old time aussie classic though most of his stuff that I know doesn't tend towards the dark like, say, Mr. Cash.

I don't know the artist but someone (I'm fairly sure arachnocapitalist) linked to 'Tell the King the Killer's here' a while back and I've been enjoying that one for a while.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 01:04:12 pm »

That was me, and I love that song.  Saw it at the Woody Guthrie Festival.  He doesn't have to many other good songs though, unfortunately.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 05:20:03 pm »


I will check out the things which y'all have recommended.
Except Chet Atkins. The first two tracks on his CD made me want to vomit from over-sweetened guitar. Mr Sandman? Oh man, no thanks.

Check some of these out:

here
or here
this
or this (despite the low audio quality)
or even this
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 01:44:26 am »

heres a link to the first volume of the anthology you mentioned

Code: [Select]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0zqn2u
if you like this one i have the other 2 volumes also  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:55:50 am by theauthors »
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 01:52:07 am »

SO MANY CANS. thank you a thousand times.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 02:27:42 am »

Word. Im digging this little collection pretty hard.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 02:58:25 am »

The Authors, do you have a link to the what's in that file.  I don't want to download it if I aleady have it. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 02:59:43 am »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 03:16:14 am »

Oh, thanks Dan.

I have

Library of Congress Collection, Vol. 1- Anglo-American Ballads

and

Library of Congress Collection, Vol. 2- Anglo-American Ballads

I thought they might be the same thing, but I am not seeing any cross over.

And the authors, I would definitely appreciate the other two volumes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 03:55:11 am »

glad youre liking it fellas

here is the 2nd volume: social songs. ill get the third one up soonish (tommorrow?)

Code: [Select]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yb2jk2
please dont edit the code tags. it might be force-of-habit but yousendit had an algorithm implemented that killed off a link once a number of different ip's were referred to it from the same source. this may or may not be true for sendspace, i dunno. but if its true then you'll ruin the fun for everyone else. just copy/paste the link, simple enough :)
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 03:56:37 am »


please dont edit the code tags. it might be force-of-habit but yousendit had an algorithm implemented that killed off a link once a number of different ip's were referred to it from the same source. this may or may not be true for sendspace, i dunno. but if its true then you'll ruin the fun for everyone else. just copy/paste the link, simple enough :)

Fair enough, I'll change it back.  Didn't know...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 04:33:46 am »

I didn't know either...

Code: [Select]
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2X6ULWBL
So we use the code.

This is...

Library of Congress Collection, Vol. 1- Anglo-American Ballads

I'll put vol. 2 up tomorrow if you are interested.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2007, 03:45:13 am »

So are we gonna get vol. 3 and shit?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Country Music.
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 04:28:37 pm »

vol 3
Code: [Select]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ia25oh
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up