Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight Savings  (Read 9021 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 06:05:43 am »

Never put assunder what I believe is the proper grammar of Daylightes' Savings of Time.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 06:25:52 am »

man, I ain't about to let legislation how to speak my own damn language.

no, see, I always understood it as a possesive. It is the time of daylight saving.

Well that's incorrect, but "daylight savings" is perfectly acceptable - just as the bank allows one to have monetary savings, so does adjusting the clock allow one to have daylight savings.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 06:39:31 pm »

It caused me to get hungrier an hour "earlier" and to re-calibrate the time difference between here and Mumbai.  It really is a big screwup when the rest of the goddamn world uses a civilized clock and we're fiddling with extra hours here and there.  To make things worse, Mumbai is all the way in goddamn INDIA and apparently they use the metric system to tell time because they're +5:30 off GMT.  How in the HELL did they get offset by 30 minutes instead of being even hours like EVERYBODY ELSE?!?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 07:12:55 pm »

Someone was probably looking at local noon and realized the sun wasn't quite perfectly at the apex of its daily arc, and his anal-retentiveness wouldn't let him sleep until he badgered the government into offsetting the clock.  I think there's someplace in Australia that is offset by 15 minute increments as well.  Due to History.

Edit:  Yay:  Memory does not fail me, today.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:16:49 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 07:42:36 pm »

There's someplace up in Canada that's off by 30 minutes.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 09:51:35 pm »

There's someplace up in Canada that's off by 30 minutes.

That would be Newfoundland. They're off on a lot of things.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 03:35:03 pm »

Please, people, no Newfie jokes here.  We're better than that.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 03:54:11 pm »

Please, people, no Newfie jokes here.  We're better than that.
Well, they're perfectly lovely dogs


And handy for camping trips


Although I'd avoid taking them wilderness camping.  Packing out that much poop would be a chore.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 02:15:35 pm »

And handy for camping trips



That is darling.  So cute.

I know I've said this every year, but I hate the time changes, and for the past few years I've always been to some other time zone right before the change, which makes things even worse.  I have an awesome internal clock, so I feel like I'm on another planet when my schedules gets shifted.

Speaking of Newfoundlanders, do check out the band Great Big Sea if you want some cheery East Coast music.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 09:27:48 pm »

When I went on my little West coast road trip, Arizona really fucked me up.  We drove to the Grand Canyon, didn't know we were at the Grand Canyon, and drove back to Utah because that was the closest hotel with vacancy.  Anyhow, we had to be out by 12, we thought it was 3, but it was 4, so by the time we got there I took an hour long shower it was almost pointless.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 10:12:36 pm »

When I went on my little West coast road trip, Arizona really fucked me up.  We drove to the Grand Canyon, didn't know we were at the Grand Canyon, and drove back to Utah because that was the closest hotel with vacancy.  Anyhow, we had to be out by 12, we thought it was 3, but it was 4, so by the time we got there I took an hour long shower it was almost pointless.
When Keith is fucked up, the state of Utah becomes a hotel - with vacancy. We should party some time, let my people talk to your people.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 11:01:03 pm »

In no relationship to this thread I posted a picture of me at "Little Grand Canyon"
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 11:30:36 pm »

Well, it was dark.

Also, we will all be better off if Utah became a giant hotel.

Also, yeah, I got a buzz on.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 12:19:05 am »

I'm still trying to figure out how he missed a hole visible from space.
If he was driving, then its probably a good thing.  KH, goin' over the edge all Thelma and Louise style...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 01:32:10 am »

Have you ever driven to the Grand Canyon at night?  You are in a forest and then the road ends.  How was I to know the road ending meant there was a big fuck*ng hole there?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up