Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1  (Read 5051 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 01:25:00 am »

Call her Athena.  I've known two real life Athenas, and they rocked hard.  Its a name worth living up to.  If you want to geek out, you could spell it Aθena.

In college, I tried to start a campus group whose mission was to get thorn (Ş, ş) reintroduced into the alphabet. It stalled for lack of, um, oşer people interested in şe task at hand.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 05:31:27 am »

In college, I tried to start a campus group whose mission was to get thorn (Ş, ş) reintroduced into the alphabet. It stalled for lack of, um, oşer people interested in şe task at hand.
Şhat was a fine ambition, on şe oşer hand.  One sound, one character!  Too bad phonetic writing is completely unintelligible. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 05:59:29 am »

I mean... it's just as intelligible as a normal alphabet. How is it less intelligible?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 02:08:33 pm »

A boy and a girl?  Whoo hoo!  Completes the set!

I know what you mean by being scared of having a girl though.  I would be far more open to having a child if I could 100% guarantee I was having a boy.  Girls are scary... by age 7 they're already deep into the pshycological shit with each other.  Yikes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 04:47:10 pm »

I would be scared to have a boy because... what if he wanted to play catch and go to football games and stuff.

I am worried that one day I will have a son who will say "whatever. Fag." when I tell him that I enjoyed reading when I was his age.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 04:52:34 pm »

I would be scared to have a boy because... what if he wanted to play catch and go to football games and stuff.

I am worried that one day I will have a son who will say "whatever. Fag." when I tell him that I enjoyed reading when I was his age.

This is part of what scares me about having a boy. I was very pleased to find out my first child was going to be a girl. I love sports as much as the next guy... I'm just not any GOOD at them. That won't be an issue when the theoretical son of mine is five, but by ten it will start becoming clear.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 04:56:39 pm »

also an issue: "Uncle Patrick is good at sports... I'm going to go play basketball with him after school, ok? I think he gets off early from his high-paying job today."

but man, it is my concept that a little girl loves her dad forever as long as he is a good dad, right? I am totally into that idea. The whole "this is my little girl" thing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 07:16:05 pm »

Yeah, because daughters would never be mean, sarcastic or contemptuous toward their parents, ever.


Right.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 07:16:40 pm »

Yeah, see, my Dad was not into sports.  Pedro's dad was not into sports.  I was not into sports.  Pedro was not into sports.  We just assume that our kids will not be into sports. 

I am worried that Hero will be into makeup and clothes and boys and overlapped bubble lettering, and I will not know how to deal with that.  I kind of want her to read poetry and play the cello.  Pedro kind of wants her to be a computer programmer.  (Note that we "Want her to" do these things in the vague way that parents sometimes fantasize about the blank slate that is a new baby's future, not in the twisted creepy way where we decide before she's born that she's going to be a doctor so we only let her play with increasingly elaborate medical play sets and play reruns of E.R. 24/7 from infanthood on.  We are cool with whatever our kids decide to do with their lives, although we both agree it would be kind of nice if they all turned out to want to go to college eventually.) 

We have a pretty good indication that P is going to grow up to be a geek like us.  As I type this, he is playing a video game on the desktop and mousing like a pro. 

I am way too proud of the fact that he learned to click and drag before his third birthday. 

Also, what Asherdan said. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 08:46:32 pm »

Quote
I am worried that Hero will be into makeup and clothes and boys and overlapped bubble lettering, and I will not know how to deal with that.  I kind of want her to read poetry and play the cello.

This is the situation my mom is in. My sister is all into... makeup and clothes and boys and being a bitch.
I'm not going to lie. In the past half-year or so I have come to often dislike my sister. She is like the stereotype of an obnoxious, snotty teen girl, suddenly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:25 pm »

This is the situation my mom is in. My sister is all into... makeup and clothes and boys and being a bitch.
I'm not going to lie. In the past half-year or so I have come to often dislike my sister. She is like the stereotype of an obnoxious, snotty teen girl, suddenly.

Dammit. Alison Bechdel did a brilliant comic once showing two idealistic lesbians when they had kiddos. Baking organic, healthy food, "Free To Be You And Me," gender-neutral names like Chris and Robin.

Ten years later...the moms have finally resigned themselves to a life where their kitchen is stocked with Ho Ho's and frozen burritos, and they've got two bratty-assed, Gap-wearing kids, "Chrissy" and "Rob". Like Dan Savage says... Kids, they'll break your heart every time.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 09:50:44 pm »

This reminds me. I see a lot of teenage girls with way the hell too much eye makeup on. Usually as the hostess at a restaurant or at the mall. Is this a trend that I'm unaware of, or is it girls being too young to know how to properly apply makeup?

Last weekend I was on the bus and two college girls got on, one was wearing an obscene amount of perfume. Several people coughed from the shock, but one guy started actively talking to her about it. Like saying it smelled good and everything but that the bus smelled like it was full of french whores. It was one of the highlights of my weekend.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 09:53:24 pm »

My parents never let me play with toy guns, fighting was a major no-no, and they actively promoted individual sports like tennis and gymnastics (less overtly competetive).  I grew up to be a gun nut martial artist (and college lacrosse player).  I don't think I did it consciously as a rebellion against my parents, but the contrast is amusing.

Also: they kept my hair long and flowing down past my shoulders until my classmates beat down regularly starting in 1st grade.  Now its mostly a grown-out buzz cut.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 09:55:42 pm »

This is the situation my mom is in. My sister is all into... makeup and clothes and boys and being a bitch.
I'm not going to lie. In the past half-year or so I have come to often dislike my sister. She is like the stereotype of an obnoxious, snotty teen girl, suddenly.

Inev, let me introduce you to my sister sometime. My mom (who thinks "the c-word" is "crap" - she doesn't know about the one that even swearers like myself hold in for the special occasions) has said, "Golfhaus*, your sister... she can be a bitch sometimes." My sister believes that welfare and charity should end because when the poor people die, there will be more resources available for the rest of us. Like most of my family, she doesn't believe in God, but unlike people like me, she sees nothing of merit about religions at all - she considers them a pit where resources are squandered that could be better spent on science. She has never really had a friend for more than four years before they get sick of her and move on. She has baby fever right bad, but will probably never get married - guys don't stick around very long. She got a dog, and made sure the dog matched the color of her furniture, then bought dog toys that specifically matched her decor. She then badgers my mom into going to the dog park with them because she doesn't want to go alone. She would probably try it on me and Mrs. Haus, but we moved out of state.

This process started... when she was a teenager.

* No, she doesn't call me this in real life
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Technology: 0 Women's Intuition: 1
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 09:59:35 pm »

This reminds me. I see a lot of teenage girls with way the hell too much eye makeup on. Usually as the hostess at a restaurant or at the mall. Is this a trend that I'm unaware of, or is it girls being too young to know how to properly apply makeup?

It is called the Amy Winehouse effect.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up