Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.  (Read 8044 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:08:18 am »

Best part of about this strip? I had totally forgotten about the glory of overlapped bubble lettering. This brings me back to youth, man.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 06:15:19 am »

Ray is all about education.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 06:25:58 am »

Is Phillipe old enough to know cursive? Christ, I'm 28 and I don't know cursive properly. When I entered Junior High, my English teacher told me to just print until I could learn to type. My cursive was simply that bad.

He is very young, he is imaginary and he isn't even a person and his cursive is better than mine.

He is wise enough, however, understand the way that we are afraid of very attractive women because we understand that if a lady is pretty enough, we can easily be made to kill just to be allowed to keep looking at her. And how scary that is, upon reflection.

Hm. Maybe Phillipe is just really advanced for his age.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:30:37 am »

Hm. Maybe Phillipe is just really advanced for his age.

Well, he has been five for a long time.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:00:07 am »

when I moved in i didnt know if my roommate was gay. so i asked him and he said yes. The next day there were pictures of topless men taped to his door.
I asked if he was gay, and he proved it.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:22:38 am »

That lettering is straight old-school.

Things that make me glad that Achewood does not have a substantial fandom: the abject lack of terrible "Ability Man"-themed slash fiction.
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:12:29 am »

Is Phillipe old enough to know cursive? Christ, I'm 28 and I don't know cursive properly. When I entered Junior High, my English teacher told me to just print until I could learn to type. My cursive was simply that bad.

We had handwriting lessons in primary school, and I hated them.  Absolutely loathed them.  I was actually happy when I had a dentist's appointment one day, because it was on at the same time as handwriting, so I got out of the lesson.

We were supposed to get our handwriting to the point where we could pass a test, and then we obtained our "pen license" and were allowed to write with a biro.  I told the teacher that I wasn't going to bother, because cursive is stupid and hard to read (which it is - my mother has the best handwriting British schools in the 50s could teach, and it's illegible), and that I'd just write with a pencil until I got to high school where they don't care how you write.  I just handed in blank paper at the end of each handwriting lesson. 

Even now I print everything, just like my dad.  My older brother goes one step further and writes everything in block capitals.  My little brother writes in the most horrible, sloppy, unreadable cursive ever, but he's training to be a doctor so bad handwriting goes with the territory.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:13:19 pm »

I remember being in year 7 and my teacher making weird semi-veiled threats that I'd have to be kept back or go to summer classes or something because my hand writing was so bad. She was one of my favourite teachers but that's so fuck*ng odd.
My handwriting was/is fairly attrocious though.

That overlapping bubble writing though, that's the shizzle. I might have to go re-label my lab books right now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 01:03:30 pm »

liked this better the first time around
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 02:07:52 pm »

I have yet to find a single person who can explain the existence or necessity of cursive to me. My mom who is in her 38th year teaching says it's so that you know how to sign your name. She honestly believes that a signature has to be each letter in your name and be totally legible. Why one has to learn letters that aren't in their names she has no answer for. Besides, last I checked learning cursive actually slows a child's development in other areas, because they're using so much brain power remembering how to write squiggly letters that they'll never use again after 6th grade.

Philippe should also make Pat's super-hero chest symbol that weird S thing that people used to draw all over every available surface.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 02:28:31 pm »

Locally the teachers are talking about taking cursive out of the cirriculm. 

As I understand it cursive (when everybody was more proficient at it and it was the only other option) is faster than printing due to the fewer times needed to lift the pen.  But with computers taking the place of handwritting, cursive has become more or less obsolete. 

I remember back in kid times, I was told I was only allowed to have a bank account if I knew how to write in cursive, because according to mom and a bank teller "you must use cursive to fill out a check!"  Aparently cursive is a lot harder to forge?  So once I learned it I got a kid's savings account where I put my allowance.  The only time I use cursive now is for writting out checks.  A part of me thinks my checks wont be accepted unless they're filled out in cursive.  Eighty-dollars and Twelve Cents to the gass company calls for squiggles and loops you see.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 03:19:56 pm »

Locally the teachers are talking about taking cursive out of the cirriculm. 

As I understand it cursive (when everybody was more proficient at it and it was the only other option) is faster than printing due to the fewer times needed to lift the pen.  But with computers taking the place of handwritting, cursive has become more or less obsolete. 

I remember back in kid times, I was told I was only allowed to have a bank account if I knew how to write in cursive, because according to mom and a bank teller "you must use cursive to fill out a check!"  Aparently cursive is a lot harder to forge?  So once I learned it I got a kid's savings account where I put my allowance.  The only time I use cursive now is for writting out checks.  A part of me thinks my checks wont be accepted unless they're filled out in cursive.  Eighty-dollars and Twelve Cents to the gass company calls for squiggles and loops you see.

What's a check?

Actually I wish my band would sell me a book of deposit slips. Because a book of checks has 25 checks and like 6 deposit slips. 25 checks last me 12-18 months, but I use 2 deposit slips a month (for the SO's half of the rent) so I run out of those pretty much immediately. If my building let us pay the rent online like the fancier apartment buildings I don't think I'd need checks at all.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 03:23:16 pm »

cursive actually slows a child's development in other areas, because they're using so much brain power remembering how to write squiggly letters that they'll never use again after 6th grade.

Wow, that's right, I never thought about what a waste of time it was.



Ya know what?  Fuck cursive.
Logged
ACHIEVE

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: 7th November 2007 - They said he was gay. He said he would prove it.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 03:24:43 pm »

Well, I tend to consider writing in cursive along with other stuff that, when done well, can be beautiful.

I get pleasure from reading regular, elegant handwriting, and when I do it I try to do it as carefully (not to be confused with laboriously) as I can, as one would do a drawing.

My penmanship used to be quite shitty as I grew up being all fucked-up (not literally, just your run-of-the-mill growing up fucked-up), but now I'm actually owning the bitch and it feels good, like a part of my personality that finally got it together - that finally assembled itself into a functional whole that shows through the balance and cleanliness of my cursive. I look at what I wrote and think "No way I'd put a kitten on a blender, look at how damn *suave* I made this "f"!!"

I'm probably, alas, reading too much into it.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up