Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I took on the Teamsters  (Read 17560 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Today I took on the Teamsters
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:12:13 pm »

Rather than potentially hijack the "Today I am going to" thread I thought Id prematurely split to this.
Today I spent half an hour on the phone with my local Teamsters Union president. See, they sent a letter to my home that I do not currently occupy that said either I pay them hundreds of dollars in dues and fees or they will suspend/terminate me from my current employment at Anheuser-Busch. So I now understand why I havent been assigned work the past few weekends. I called him and immediately said what he was doing amounted to extortion. Either I pay this man hundreds of dollars, or I dont work. His response was that the wage I earn is due to his union's negotiation. My response was that I am currently earning Zero dollars an hour because of his union. And when I asked for him to gaurentee more shifts so that Id be able to pay his dues and earn saving, his response was "I have no control over whether you get work or not". This is obviously a lie. His union has prevented me from getting work in two ways. It has told my employer I cant work until I pay my dues, and second it has inflated my wage above my optimal range. I would be willing to work for half my current negotiated wage if it meant getting work every weekend as opposed to my current Zero dollars wage.
Either I pay this man hundreds of dollars or I cant work = extortion.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 04:54:31 pm »

You have to pick your battles in life. It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong, this is one you can't win. Either pay the dues or get into a different line of work.

Speaking as someone who's worked at a lot of very different things - there are a lot of choices out there. It's easier to find a situation that fits you than to change a situation that doesn't.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:56:33 pm »

yeah, don't unions basically own New York? I feel like I've heard that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 05:28:51 pm »

Sometimes we gotta take it in the pooper so that everyone else can have it a little bit less horribly.

But... ultimately... it is good that a lot of people have it a little bit less horribly.

Ain't no perfect system nowhere nohow.

Yes, unions like that are deifinitely corrupt in minor and petty ways but it is much better than how the system was without unions, where they could basically pay children a dollar a day to do most of the jobs and if the child died, the parents had to pay THEM the cost of training a new child.

Ain't no perfect system but, seriously, having a slightly corrupt union around to beat The Bastards back is a far far better option than, like, Triangle Sewing Factory fires, man.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:36:35 pm »

One or two people getting shoved out of a position by an organization that functions so that the company can't undercut their employees... with the endgame being that the people who do work there earn an actual living wage? Hell yes.

Look, unions exist so that single parties CAN'T take the job for an extraordinarily below-value wage because they're just starting out or they don't have a family to support or whatever... which starts a wage-slashing spiral that "trickles down" into paying people a bag of wheat a day to do a job that, because of unionization, actually can provide for a lower-middle-class family of four or whatever.

When "competition" is a huge corporation that holds all the cards seeing who will do the job for the least, the entire of the workforce suffers.

When free-market competition reaches the endgame of consolidated power, of a few business interests running an entire segment of the economy and then colluding to supress any workers who demand anything less than the bare minimum for their talents.

Unfettered free-market competition devolves into totalitarian control of a marketplace segment once enough power is consolidated.

And yet, on a very very very micro scale, it APPEARS to you that in the very short-term, the union is suppressing your individual good. Because you only have the perspective of one person at once point in time.

When actually government regulations and unions and such that SEEM to be suppressing your earning potential in the short terms are the ONLY things protecting you in the long-term, Ennewhy.

They're protecting their members, collectively, from only looking out for their short-term needs in a manner that would actually be of a great detriment to them in the long term.

This is how economics work when you're actually out of the text book and not functioning from the assumptions of the betterment of large corporations that start with all the advantages.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:52:41 pm »

I'd rather many people earn ten dollars an hour under the protection from a corporation by a union than one guy "opt out" of the union, leading more and more people to opt out of that union and... quickly... no one having protection from that corporation and all quickly being fucked.

That union needs to keep functioning to keep protecting you from the company you work for and, yes, you have a responsibility to contribute to the continuation of that protection through union dues.

To say that you are being "extorted" by the union is as if to say that you walk into a grocery store, walk out with ten dollars worth of food and... when they tell you to pay for that food or they're going to call the cops, you're being "extorted" for ten dollars.

The service of protecting you from the company that you work for and that would exploit you endlessly if it could has already been rendered by the Teamsters, brother.

You are trying to walk out with the fruit of that labour without contributing to it.

I know that you got some kind of Stockholm Syndrome hard-on for big business, believing that if you follow your captor's every word he will protect you and make you like them and shit, that if you play the game by their rules, you'll be allowed to win too...

But it ain't that way.

The business wants as much out of you for as little as humanly possible.

The union protects you from that.

Your dues make that union possible.

Deal with it, delay some gratification, man, this is how it works.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:42:11 pm »

Epiphany Faint would be, like, the perfect name for a lame goth-rock band ever.

You need to sell this name to Hot Topic, m'man.

Millions shall be made.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:55:49 pm »

Asherdan gets it!

Also, you two are having this exact same make-out session in that 'don't hurt me' thread, please at least keep your political arguments efficient, that guy was just trying to buy himself some comic books, now look what you went and did.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 09:23:49 pm »

I imagined Epiphany Faint as... like... just the Vertigo Comics version of Death, y'know, chalkwhite skinned cute lil goth chick swooning onto a fainting couch. Maybe, maybe she'd be a little heavier than Death and have some unfortunate piercings but basically her.

EDIT: Heavier Than Death could be their opening act.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 09:28:33 pm »

Epiphany Faint would be, like, the perfect name for a lame goth-rock band ever.

You need to sell this name to Hot Topic, m'man.

Millions shall be made.

And their album would be Sex Funeral.

A-CAP, I've avoided joining the actor's union for years.  I can say I've likely lost work due to this, but I have always been upfront about it with my potential employers.  Did you tell the people who hired you that you opposed the union and would be unwilling to pay the dues if they hired you?  The time to oppose unionization is before you start collecting a pay check.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:35 am »

Dude... my grandfather was a teamster. He drove a coal truck in Chicago. My twin sister is a teacher. Do not come crying to me about the union.

Where I worked in Alaska, employees who took Union jobs had to pay their dues before they started work. I assume this is the same everywhere. Are you saying that you took a job as a truck driver in NEW YORK CITY without thinking you'd have to pay the Teamsters? Christ.

You'll have to either pay the dues, or find alternate work. The teamsters will not let you work as a truck driver unless you pay their union membership dues. Management will not give you shifts unless you're union. Seriously, arachnocapitalist, this is one battle that you will not win. I am sorry to tell you this.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 01:07:43 am »

My dad has been a union member for damn near 40 years. At times, he was able to put food on our plate because he was in a union.

Of course, now that I've moved in what would be considered more of a management-type job, my feelings have muted a bit. But the fact is that in many/most work environments, unions are necessary to keep abuses from happening. Because if they come to you and say, "You're going to have to work seven days this week, and oh yeah, the days are going to be twelve hours long, and there's a lot to do, so don't bother bringing lunch in because you won't have time to eat it," you either do it or they fire you and find someone else who will. And there's always someone who will. Unions keep them from doing that. They don't make all the rank and file workers millionaires, but they do help determine a realistic set of work rules to keep employees safely and productively employed.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 02:40:21 am »

Well, either way, no matter what kind of job you work... you seem far too sharp a guy than to have taken a job without realizing it was a union shop. That's the point that was being made.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 04:14:34 am »

Good luck with that, Don Quixote.  On the positive side, there are plenty of microbreweries that aren't union shops and would be glad to employ a good brewer.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 04:56:32 am »

You took a job that specifically put you into a position of ideological indignation? On some level, so that you could bitch and moan about it? ...and then when the ramifications of your civil-disobedience against people protecting you from the savagery of a multi-national corporation came down hard on your head, you were surprised?

C'mon, man. That is a total Pat move and you know it.

Pat going into a MacDonalds and acting all indignant when they can't make him a vegan option.

It says "billions of burgers served" on the sign over the door, seriously.

Seems like a real waste of psychic energy, my friend.

If that's what floats your boat, I mean, have fun and all that but... yeah, the Quixote comparison is apt. One must choose their windmills wisely, you know, and somehow making your job one of those windmills doesn't sound like the best of ideas.

You are mad at them for protecting you in a way that you knew they were going to protect you and then asking for your share of the cost of that ongoing protection?

Billions of burgers served, dude. Windmills, dude.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up