Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I took on the Teamsters  (Read 17566 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 11:47:21 pm »

I think my dad summed the problem with the Trickle Down concept up best.
"who do you think is going to go out and spend their tax return-- the guy who works at McDonald's, or the guy who already has a Yacht? Why would the guy with a yacht get excited and go out and spend that money? it's just more money in the bank to him."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2007, 12:07:17 am »

Nah, 'Loha... imagine a lot more, like, what Dude Lebowski would just kinda dreamily ramble out when he was too stoned to really care if anyone thought he was crazy. I am actually a lot lot more like that. Like that one dude in a cluster of hippies who reads too much and bums out his friends who just wanna smoke dope and make sexy time with people who don't shave nothin' and be free.

S'all, s'all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2007, 12:29:12 am »

Quote from: A-CAP
The man with the yacht is more likely to use that money to invest in companies that hire people like the other guy.

I... look, I ain't gonna let this become A Thing. A Thing ain't good for nobody here.

But man. I never thought I'd find someone who genuinely believed that theory. I pretty much chalked that one up to one of those lies that politicians and rich people pretty much say just because the truth is just too ugly and obvious but nobody actually believes. Like that war can bring peace and so on.

Pretty much, I've never seen a rich person do anything like that. Generally, they buy huge gaudy unnecessary things made in other countries or buy property that just shuffles the wealth amoungst the same class of large-landowners.

Rich people don't need to invest. They're already rich.

They were born that way, thinking they were gods, that God blessed them with money.

Poor people invest because they think it is like buying a lottery ticket and con-men let them buy those lottery tickets on credit.

The only people that got rich in the California gold rush were the people who sold the prospectors cheap shitty picks and cheap shitty bluejeans and cheap shitty food. You can still rise through the classes by cheating people, this is true enough, but what if you don't want to cheat? What if you don't have the resources to start such a con?

That was the story of the Great Depression. That is the story of... basically now as well.

Hollywood, of course, is slightly different. You can get rich out here every once in a great while through genuine creative expression but, really, you might as well just buy lottery tickets, the odds are somewhat better and at least you're supporting public education. But remember:

Pauly Shore's mom runs a comedy club and that's why someone who completely sucks got famous anyway.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2007, 12:53:25 am »

Like that one dude in a cluster of hippies who reads too much and bums out his friends who just wanna smoke dope and make sexy time with people who don't shave nothin' and be free.

That used to be me, but now my friends are more angry, literate drunks.  It is funner, more stuff happens.  I still get the dope.


A man of any means can take a transfer payment and either: Invest, Spend, or Repay. I guess he could also burn the money but I dont think that happens too often.  In the event the "rich man" or "poor man" Invests or Spends then the receiver can use that money to buy capital or labor. Buying capital results in spending and eventually ends up in the hands of laborer who creates a product or service. Buying labor does this directly. If the money is "left in the bank" then that bank has more reserves to offer for home loans and car loans.
The only way money doesn't end up in the hands of a laborer is its destroyed or hidden in a mattress. 

Con-men let people invest?  What? What does that even mean?

You are right and wrong, and if you don't know why thats fucked.  Just like LFM, only he is more vaguely right and not so straightforward-which makes him less wrong.  You are both ignoring a lot of things. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2007, 01:27:42 am »

I don't know, I know a lot of people who have ungodly amounts of money in the bank, whose parents had ungodly amounts of money in the bank, whose grandparents had ungodly amounts of money in the bank. This money is not really doing anyone any good. From what I can tell this money goes to buy Mercedes Benzes (from the dad of one of the other guys, natch), sunglasses that are too big and have Swarovski crystals all over them for these guy's girlfriends, Lacoste shirts, and pot. Their kids, too, will have ungodly amounts of money in the bank.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2007, 01:32:00 am »

I don't know, I know a lot of people who have ungodly amounts of money in the bank, whose parents had ungodly amounts of money in the bank, whose grandparents had ungodly amounts of money in the bank. This money is not really doing anyone any good. From what I can tell this money goes to buy Mercedes Benzes (from the dad of one of the other guys, natch), sunglasses that are too big and have Swarovski crystals ugly glass all over them for these guy's girlfriends, Lacoste shirts, and pot. Their kids, too, will have ungodly amounts of money in the bank.

Fixed that for you.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2007, 01:55:20 am »

I... look, I ain't gonna let this become A Thing. A Thing ain't good for nobody here.

I think that ship has sailed.

But man. I never thought I'd find someone who genuinely believed that theory. I pretty much chalked that one up to one of those lies that politicians and rich people pretty much say just because the truth is just too ugly and obvious but nobody actually believes. Like that war can bring peace and so on.t

Pretty much, I've never seen a rich person do anything like that. Generally, they buy huge gaudy unnecessary things made in other countries or buy property that just shuffles the wealth amongst the same class of large-landowners.

Rich people don't need to invest. They're already rich.

They were born that way, thinking they were gods, that God blessed them with money.


So you are saying that the money just 'is', at some point someone was selected at random to receive wealth....
That's absurd. Bill Gates story is pretty well known, he didn't start out rich. I'll go with you if you are saying maybe some luck is involved, but for the most part there is preparation, opportunity and willingness to work hard that results in the majority of 'wealthy' people's wealth. Now it may have happened generations before, but that's neither here nor there. Wealth is taxed, and also wealthy people eat and consume, and buy things - and when they do, their wealth is transferred to others. Sure that rich guy has a yacht. That means he probably spends money to maintain it. Possibly to crew it. He purchases fuel. He purchases supplies. He pays for insurance, dock fees. He is redistributing his wealth, and the majority of it is not going to other wealthy people. Wealthy people aren't pumping boat fuel or selling boating supplies. Or scraping barnacles off his boat...and if they are wealthy doing those things, odds are they earned their wealth the old-fashioned way.

The best part? Maybe this guy is SO RICH he overpays for everything. Or tips really well. Remembers all the people who do things for him at Christmas.

And this doesn't even account for the contributions he makes for having his money in a bank. That's money the bank invests for him. They make loans for new homeowners or small business with some of it. They support government funds with some of it. Some of it goes to investments that support new or emerging businesses. And of course, the proceeds are taxed.

But that's not what you see. You see Thurston Howell the 3rd wiping his ass with a $50 bill. And for some absurd reason, you are under the impression that that's YOUR $50 bill, as though you or someone was else was somehow entitled to it simply for existing in a different socio-economic class. Go do something to earn that $50 and someone will exchange YOUR good or service for their wealth. OR, get wealthy and purchase someone's good or service with your wealth.



Poor people invest because they think it is like buying a lottery ticket and con-men let them buy those lottery tickets on credit.



People who make good investments almost always have something to show for it. Most companies offer retirement programs that include investment and people who use these wisely almost always do better than they would on old-fashioned pension plans or worse, social security. Your statement indicates distrust or fear of the whole investment/ banking industry. Yet wisely saving and investing and home ownership are two excellent ways to improve your financial position if you are able and the two things that most middle class people can work toward and achieve. The issue is not 'con-men'; the issue is educating people about long term financial planning. It does work.



The only people that got rich in the California gold rush were the people who sold the prospectors cheap shitty picks and cheap shitty bluejeans and cheap shitty food. You can still rise through the classes by cheating people, this is true enough, but what if you don't want to cheat? What if you don't have the resources to start such a con?



You could use your talents and abilities to create something that people want or need. Microsoft. Google. Coca-Cola. Mad Magazine. Achewood. You are writing a book. Have you figured who you are going to cheat out of their money for it? Is the 375 page 'con' believable enough? Who are you fooling besides yourself? Your effort is either masturbatory, compulsive, or intended to make you some profit. In most people's cases, it's a combination. I suspect that's the case for you too.

Who did Onstad cheat? Is he making a living?

The only resource that most people lack to start a business of their own is confidence. Taking a chance is hard. You could lose. But if you never take that chance, and spend your time cursing your fate instead, it's just empty bitching.



That was the story of the Great Depression. That is the story of... basically now as well.



The Great Depression was global. It affected the world; probably started a year before it hit the US and was a result (in the US)(Probably) of poor monetary policies, a normal contraction of the economy, a major drought, and consumers unwilling to spend money or increase their debt (what we now would call low consumer confidence). It was probably exacerbated by new foreign trade policies that affected many other countries by making it more expensive for them to export goods or commodities to the US.  It led to the rise of polarized leftist or rightist governments in many countries, which definitely contributed to the development of socio-political conditions that led to WWII. It was NOT due to Levi Strauss overcharging prospectors for pantalones and pickaxes; it was significantly more complex and far reaching than that.



Hollywood, of course, is slightly different. You can get rich out here every once in a great while through genuine creative expression but, really, you might as well just buy lottery tickets, the odds are somewhat better and at least you're supporting public education. But remember:

Pauly Shore's mom runs a comedy club and that's why someone who completely sucks got famous anyway.



So you are saying the all the people that paid to see movies or appearances by Pauly Shore were somehow coerced by his mom? "Conned" as you say above?

You are right in that Hollywood is it's own thing, and the economics of Hollywood aren't always rational, but what he have seen is that there is something for everyone in the world of entertainment, and if some people threw a dollar Pauly's way, good for Pauly. I don't think he did anything illegal for his living, I assume he paid his taxes, so like him or not, he's playing the same game we all are. He just got better dice.

There are certain entertainers I don't spend a dollar on. There are others I do. That's a market like any other. You want to somehow prove to us that that is bad, but is it? What is the alternative you propose?




« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:00:16 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2007, 02:02:39 am »

I've always figured the only way we are going to get out of this rut is with education (Posssibly even education) or bringing about better working conditions in other countries.
Bottom line for me is that if you do a job that someone who didn't have the good luck to be born in a highly developed country can (and will) do for less than a tenth of your wage then you're not going to be doing that job for very long. Tariffs and other nationalistic protectionist techniques just won't hold up in the long run. Even if we ignore the whole 'corporations are greedy life-destroying bohemoths' angle why does someone over here have more right to earn a living than someone in some shithole third-world nation if they are doing the same job?
I don't think they do and so if we want to be competitive there are only two solutions that I can see:
1) Become more educated so that people over here can do things that people over there can't. This will require government money since we are talking about trying to give high quality life long education to people aren't exactly flushed with cash. This is the only way I can see to get people out of working factory jobs their whole life. I'm not shitting on factory jobs and similar work, I've done my share of that, but realistically there's always going to be people who will exploit those who work for no money and we don't want the people being exploited to be us.

2)It also seems logical that helping workers in other countries would end up helping ourselves, the union movement may not be suitable to our current situation over here but it sure as hell is needed (or something like it) in places were some poor schmuck is working 18 hours days for 10 bucks a day. It would take a lot of work over a long time but if workers in other countries could expect rights and benefits comparable to those that we have come to expect here then it would ultimately benefit our workers as they'd become more competitive on a global market.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2007, 04:11:43 am »

Con-men tell people that certain stocks and bonds and real-estate investments are basically winning lottery tickets... it drives up the value of things they already own, they sell, the rubes go broke. Rinse repeat.

Maybe the con-men will even collect a commission on those cons.

Maybe the con-men even convince the rubes to borrow money from them for it at insane interest.

The stock market in anything other than long-long-long term investments is a con job.

Also: I understand the economic theories that have been covered in this thread. I took economics classes in college. I just have never seen any evidence that any of that stuff works in the really-real world. In books written by and for rich people, of course it sounds airtight.

All the big lies do.

Capitalism is like a frothing insane attack dog.

Good to have around for protection, useful at times, but for Christ's sake, have it on a short strong chain and have a stun gun on your hip at all times because it WILL try to turn on you, every goddamn chance it gets.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2007, 04:48:41 am »

 ???

dude there were two strong lines of argument presented a little above. i cant see an idea in reply to either in what you just posted. WTF
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2007, 08:38:57 am »

Quote
The man working mcdonalds is likely to use his tax return to pay debt. The man with the yacht is more likely to use that money to invest in companies that hire people like the other guy. Its really not that hard to understand.

I mean, I don't know. Considering until a year ago my dad was Head of Consumer Lending (ie: loans and credit cards and stuff, I don't know what his actual title was) at one of the largest banks in the US, I would tend think that he would understand it if it were that obvious. I typically assume that he basically knows more about how these things work than I do, or ever will.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2007, 09:58:49 am »

Hey Inev! My dad used to have that job too, or something very like it. Like you I generally accept that he is a better judge of financial matters, leaves me free to make stupid but enjoyable mistakes at my leisure.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2007, 06:08:21 pm »

see, but, A-CAP, the way you have lined it out every dollar ever spent ends up in the hand of a laborer. Put in the bank? Lent to a laborer. Spent on frivolous crap? A laborer made it, sold it, etc. Invested? Goes to the laborers at the company.

So if you actually believe that, don't all tax refunds have the same effect?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

So then why does it make a difference who the tax refunds go to?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Today I took on the Teamsters
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2007, 07:34:41 pm »

Quote
The only time money doesn't arrive at people who deserve it is when its extorted from them.

This is where the issue is. In my view, money doesn't naturally arrive where it is deserved. It seems to me that companies are good at one thing-- maximizing their own profits, and therefore those of their shareholders. This is not bad. This is what they are made to do. This is what they are good at doing. There is no reason that they are obligated to take care of their workers; in fact, there are a lot of disincentives to this. I will look for my copy of Fast Food Nation, where several managers of Fast Food chains were quoted as saying that they were encouraged to keep their turnover of workers high, since training is cheap and easy, while raises and benefits for workers who stay a long time are not. This, too, is just the way the world works. Companies follow their economic incentives. If it is economically advantageous to be "green," or to treat their workers well to attract more skilled labor, they will do it. But not until it reaches the point of being what is Good for them.
What the issue is, as far as I can tell, is that LFM and I think that the job of Unions and the Government is to work to counteract that. Tax breaks for companies that are better for the environment. Laws to mandate minimum wages and maximum hours, outlaw child labor, &c. The second the government and unions stop doing their work, companies will start doing what is in their own interests, which are not the same as the interests of low-level employees or "everyday Americans." There needs to be a delicate balance, of course, and the problem lies in knowing where that balance is. Maybe bloated bureaucracies and mob-connected unions and elected officials gunning for votes are not the best way to do this, I would agree that there has to be a better way, but right now that is the system we have.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up