Glad I could help - lyrics are so fun to figure out!
Re: Williams' writing style - to elaborate on what LFM is saying, I'd say the most pervasive aspect of all of Williams' work is the fragility of the human spirit. It's perhaps a little less "the world is bleak" and a little more that "we are delicate, breakable, and what sucks is that we break each other."
The Glass Menagerie, though lovely, is sort of a high school intro to Williams. It was his first noted play, and like many first plays, it's very autobiographical. I loved it when I was 16, but it's a sort of cliche theater school thing to have been a teenaged girl who loved that play. I haven't seen either film version of Menagerie, but apparently the more recent one, with John Malcovitch in it is extremely terrible, with some sort of happy ending tacked on.
I agree that seeing a play is better than reading it, but I'd say reading a script is more valuable on some levels than seeing a film version of a play, especially when it comes to a time in history where a lot of the content had to be sanitized to be approved by censors. This applies more to
Cat, less to
Streetcar.
Streetcar is a very important film - Brando's role as Stanley revolutionized acting, stage and film as we know it - he was the breakthrough star of Method acting. Many people believe that Brando as Stanley was an absolute turning point in the world of both acting and film - his performance as Stanley brought about the total acceptance of Method acting and everything that came after this performance has been changed by it. Still, in the film version, the ending - what happens to Blanche to finally tip her over the edge - is only hinted at in a fairly subtle way, and I'm not sure I would even have known what happened unless I'd read the play first. I'm wallowing way too deep into theatre blabber here, so I'll stop.
LFM - I know... Brando wasn't exactly subtle about much, so it seems fitting. I was looking at
the picture of Cox in his wiki a few minutes ago, and damn if he doesn't look like Toby Maguire as Peter Parker.