Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Weekend Boredness- Tennessee Williams, etc.  (Read 6759 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Weekend Boredness- Tennessee Williams, etc.
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2007, 02:23:29 am »

Dude, I think what you're suffering from is called "The Human Condition". 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Weekend Boredness- Tennessee Williams, etc.
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2007, 03:14:28 am »

.

But what I feel is my potential... I haven't gotten there yet. It hasn't happened yet.


Well, as I think I have mentioned before... you can be a writer any time - it's not like you wanted to be an Olympic figure skater and now it's too late.  Maybe what you're meant to do is not doable until you have done some more living. You seem to have big ideas, so maybe they need more time to come to ripeness. Maybe there's no way to get there any faster than it's already happening.

But whatever it is that you're meant to do I'm pretty sure it's not being crucified to save the human race, so, dude, give up the unreasonable comparisons.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Random Weekend Boredness- Tennessee Williams, etc.
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2007, 05:23:58 am »

I'm tryin', womb@, I'm tryin'.

28 is right around when Mark Twain started gettin' his shit together, as far as my research shows. I figure Mark Twain is still an unhealthy standard to hold oneself up again but not a completely insane standard...
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Random Weekend Boredness- Tennessee Williams, etc.
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2007, 07:06:22 am »

That is like saying Bob Dylan (lets not get into the hate) recorded two classic records by the time he was my age, so there is no hope.  Even he couldn't save the world though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Random Weekend Boredness- Tennessee Williams, etc.
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2007, 03:24:48 pm »

Quote from: KeithHernandez
Even he couldn't save the world though.

Well, "finding Jesus" and cutting a country album so as to avoid political involvement when the actual trouble was going down definitely helps in the not-saving-the-world-thing.

In the story I'm working on, after the neocons take the country by shattering it to bits, the biggest music act in the land is Country Bob Zimmerman and His Barnhouse Ramblers. The second biggest act is his son's band, Jake Zimmerman and the Wallflowers. They've turned Bowie's song "heroes" into an army recruitment video.

I'm... I'm kind of cracked in the head, you understand.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Random Weekend Boredness- Tennessee Williams, etc.
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2007, 08:42:08 pm »

I personally enjoy reading scripts, but it's very very different than reading something in narrative form. Probably because I've done a ton of plays and musicals and junk in a different life - I like picturing the play going on in my head as I read; it's very different than the experience I get reading. I guess when reading, mentally I 'get' the story but I don't picture it nearly the same was as I do reading a script. Maybe Mel has a way of putting this into words better.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up