Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )  (Read 3741 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

HudsonVC

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 06:18:21 am »

I'm mildly astonished that "I care about you in a way that will never matter" was not the thread title.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 06:50:27 am »

Hm, I guess it's because I ain't possessed of father issues that I don't bond with this strip more. My dad is and always has been pretty much the most supportive person in my life, always proud of me, always encouraging me, never judging me, etc.

Now, I love my mom and everything... she's visiting us for the holiday right now in fact... but I've never been successful enough for her, I've never felt good enough for her, she's not happy with a broke neurotic artist you know.

She's always been supportive but always... grudgingly. Condescendingly.

Like "okay, I will let you fail like this so that you will realize how you are supposed to live eventually."

Not to mention that all the girls I really crushed hard on in school moved away and stuff.

My abandonment issues are strictly female, I s'pose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 07:24:40 am »

"I care about you in a way that will never matter."

Oh Yeah.
RSL's walk speaks for a generation that cannot find their own words.

I used to like them but I have sufficiently switched to straight whiskey.  I can even take down Kentucky Deluxe with no mixer/chaser these days.
As a man who prefers scotch with a little ice above all other liquors: I always love how when people finally get into drinking straight scotch or whiskey (or even scotch whiskey!) it is described almost as a trial, a contest that was bested and won but left it's scars. People talk of their ability to pound straight scotch the way one might brag of walking on hot coals.
We love whiskey but it doesn't love us.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:55 am »

I totally get what you are saying, but Whiskey can be very enjoyable now-a-days.  It did leave its scars, but Kentucky Deluxe always leaves scars.  See, it is vile, vile liquor. 

Also, I am not so good with some of the really nice/ high alcohol content bourbons, like Bakers, or Booker's, or any high class Jim Beam brand over Knob Creek.  I think this is just because it cost so fuck*ng much and, well, knob creek is cheaper and better, in my opinion.  I've learned to love Jim Beam and Knob Creek, but I cannot handle those other ones at all, which usually results in putting water in it and making it basically expensive Knob Creek (though I do get slightly more).  However, since I quit my job I have just been working on my Kentucky Deluxe drinking, and I am better for it.  There will be a time for nice bourbon at a later time.  Right now a handle of Rich and Rare is on sale for 13.99.

 oh shiiiiiit
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 11:45:33 am »

Oh yeah good whiskey is good whiskey but I just notice that anyone who drinks whiskey regularly seems to acknowledge that getting there can be struggle.
I don't like bourbon but then I've only had wild turkey which is way too sweet.
But this is another thread.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 11:47:53 am »

Yeah, yeah, sleep deprivation sorry.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 11:50:14 am »

I have to say I wish Onstad paid more attention to the character's hands and arms... old gripe, I know, but Ray's arm in panel 6 looks *abhorrent*... and it's not like it would kill him to spend 6 minutes more pushing a vectorized line to where it should be. As for the strip itself, I liked it... the threat/promise of more Ramses Luther has me in thrall. In thrall, dammit!
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 12:32:49 pm »

Yeah, yeah, sleep deprivation sorry.
Oh hey, I was just forcing myself to stop before I completely de-railed the thread to booze talk.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 05:52:17 pm »

the best mixed drink with whiskey in it:

Black Tooth Grin -

double (cheap) bourbon (this is a highball) over not very many rocks with a half a splash of coca cola on the top, enough to taste but not enough to make things fizzy.  don't stir.  don't garnish.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 06:42:48 pm »

So it's like a B&C with the ratio reversed?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 03:28:35 am »

I've always been a boring old scotch and dry man when it comes to mixed drinks. I find coke is too sweet with  the whiskey. But then I find bourbon whiskey to be a bit sweet to so maybe this isn't aimed at my demographic.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 05:33:57 am »

With apologies to those of you with more sophisticated palates, I have yet to taste bourbon that doesn't remind me of chugging anbesol or listerine.

However, I do love me some Vodka, and both Vodka Tonics and Vodka Gimlets although I have noticed that 'hard liquors have the curious effect of giving me this weird headache behind my eyeballs.

Just another part of my body expressing it's disgust at the number of years I've forced it to work I guess.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 06:09:06 am »

I don't think I've ever had a whiskey sour. Then again, there are many mixed drinks that I have yet to try. I heart Scotch, yet I've never had a Rusty Nail or a Rob Roy. I usually just get all boring and have it on the rocks or with a tiny splash of soda added. More cocktail frontiers should be explored.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up