Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?  (Read 9925 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 01:03:38 pm »

I find it curious (a very irritating strand of "curious") that both USA and Brazil share a trend in lyrics where a black male declares to this one woman that, all the other ladies he's fucked/ is currently fuck*ng / will likely fuck in the near future notwithstanding, *she's* his only real love / has always been his only love / will always be his only love. What the fuck does that mean?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:41:42 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 01:23:33 pm »

I've always felt very uncomfortable about songs in the "woman as helpless appendage of man" pop sub-genre -- you know the ones. Songs about how the singer will be/is crushed without her man -- or, alternately, how she's screwing up the relationship and hates herself but won't just fix it. Thankfully, most of the songs of this sort are aso crap, but The Cardigans' "Lovefool" is the one that I really like and feel terrible about liking.

Plenty of love songs are self-destructive though. How many old blues songs are about how some guy's 'baby' is 'so mean'? Well ok now I'm just thinking of 'hit the road Jack' but I think it's a valid point.
Not that I disagree with you about songs being garbage, just that there are plenty of songs about guys in terrible relationships too.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 01:30:25 pm »

I find it curious (a very irritating strand of "curious") that both USA and Brazil share a trend in lyrics where a black male declares to this one woman that, all the other ladies he's fucked/ is currently fuck*ng / will likely fuck in the near future notwithstanding, *she's* his only real love, has always been his only love. What the fuck does that mean?
hey man, whys it always gotta be a brother? Im sure the native americans and asians share the sympathy that pimpin aint easy. Players playing the game have no race or creed, only a strong hand and a watch for keepin time.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 02:58:44 pm »

I find it curious (a very irritating strand of "curious") that both USA and Brazil share a trend in lyrics where a black male declares to this one woman that, all the other ladies he's fucked/ is currently fuck*ng / will likely fuck in the near future notwithstanding, *she's* his only real love / has always been his only love / will always be his only love. What the fuck does that mean?

I am similarly amused by the R. Kelly type of song in which he says "ooh baby give me some, it's OK, no one has to know."  You LYING BASTARD.  Tomorrow you'll be down on the corner telling your crew exactly what you did with her, and making up some other shit on top of it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 04:33:26 pm »

"I ain't too proud to beg" comes to mind, as does "Please, Please, Please, Please."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 04:44:17 pm »

Three words:

Lay, Lady, Lay. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 08:11:16 pm »

I love the Rolling Stones, but I frequently will be grooving to them and then realize that Mick Jagger does not frequently take a positive view of women.

Also, Sugaree, by the Grateful Dead. "Please forget you knew my name, m y darling Sugaree" - what is that?

 Also, much of Britney Spears' new album (which I love for the most part).

None of these are morally repugnant to me. They just make me uncomfortable.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 09:00:45 pm »

not repugnant, but... something.

This song what I have spent my whole life trying to say.
Except that, you know, I have never actually had the need or desire to say that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 10:02:17 pm »

LFM, dude, you know that "This Land Is Your Land" isn't really the same at all as the other songs you were talking about, right?

I mean, to paraphrase a verse that isn't in the song that "they" play in elementary school:

... the sign said private property
but on the back side, it didn't say nothing
this land was made for you and me.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 10:10:14 pm »

Yes, yeah, I do know that.

That was... kinda my point.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 10:34:33 pm »

Three words:

Lay, Lady, Lay. 

Technically that's just two words.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 11:02:19 pm »

Thought of another one:  "You Can Make Them Like You" by the Hold Steady.  I think it's supposed to be satirical, but it comes off as misogynistic.

That album is fuck*ng great. I'm sorry you don't like that song, though.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 01:32:56 am »


Also, Sugaree, by the Grateful Dead. "Please forget you knew my name, m y darling Sugaree" - what is that?

 

They were co-conspirators in a murder.  She got caught, he didn't.  He doesn't want her to rat him out.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2007, 02:42:46 am »

They were co-conspirators in a murder.  She got caught, he didn't.  He doesn't want her to rat him out.

I guess I never listened to that song too very carefully, but I always thought that the singer just wanted the lady to forget him and move on with her life because he was about to be gone for good.

I like this better because it means that both parties are grieving. 

Also, I never owned a Grateful Dead album before about 10 years ago, but I now find that I have 7 separate versions of this song on my computer.  Have I become a Dead Head?  Actually, I'm still pretty ambivalent about them, but their music is so easy to collect it's hard not to get a bunch of recordings.  Especially if you go to house parties where they trade Grateful Dead Recordings.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Song lyrics which are morally repugnant to you?
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 05:49:10 am »

I guess I never listened to that song too very carefully, but I always thought that the singer just wanted the lady to forget him and move on with her life because he was about to be gone for good.

When they come to take you down
When they bring that wagon around
Just one thing I ask of you
Just one thing to do
Please forget you knew my name
My darlin'
Sugaree
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up