Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The 56 Geeks  (Read 8525 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
The 56 Geeks
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:27:37 pm »

Which one(s) are you?

Me... I'm thinking about 80% Travel Geek, 10% Webcomic, 10% Gadget Geek.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:47:09 pm »

I cant find "economics geek". But I guess history geek is pretty close.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 11:59:46 pm »

Conspiracy geek... comics geek... film geek... rock geek... book geek... many geeks am I.

While I'm working on the book, though, book geek and conspiracy geek are in ascendance.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 12:17:39 am »

Hmm, lab, fitness, and I guess geek geek.
Lab geek twice over, since I do it for work, and I brew beer.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:08:27 am »

We are as many as the colors in nature, friends.

I guess I'm mostly an engineering and webcomic geek. I also geek out about food, books, photography, and art.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 02:27:35 am »

Jedi and Rock geek, ferdamnsure.  Reformed Trek geek.  Aspiring Fitness geek.  Too bad Zeppelin geek is not a category.

Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 05:27:26 am »

Nintendo geek
Portable geek
Sports geek
Apple geek
Travel geek
Rock geek
Book geek
History geek

That's what I am. But some of these... Tron geek? Can you really be a Tron geek? That was just one movie, right?

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 06:21:17 am »

There is a severe lack of origami geek in that picture, and papercraft just won't cut it. I mean, what kind of person uses glue and scissors on paper?! It's nearly profane.

Other than that, I think Nintendo, Apple, book, and food geek work for me.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:20:27 am »

I hate this geek classification system. Hate it to hell.

The things I really geek out about, though, are film and psychology. sometimes anthropology.

I wouldn't really say I am a music geek, but I probably am.

It's just that exclaiming "listen to this guitar solo!" just doesn't seem geeky. whereas, you know, saying "look at that cut! look at that fuck*ng jump-cut!" is. or, for instance, "man, episodic memory is instrumental in future planning, most likely because the mechanism which allows us to reconstruct past events is the same as that which allows us to imagine future ones."

I guess the most geeky thing is that... random things throughout the day make me think of psych experiments.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 06:03:36 pm »

It's just that exclaiming "listen to this guitar solo!" just doesn't seem geeky.

It's good to hear you say this.  I have a playlist on my iPod which is my 133 favorite guitar solos, and I was starting to worry that that made me a geek. 
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 06:10:51 pm »


That's what I am. But some of these... Tron geek? Can you really be a Tron geek? That was just one movie, right?


A movie, a soundtrack album, an arcade game, two PC games, and I believe a book.  Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head. 

Let's check Wikipedia. 

Two arcade games, three Intellivision games and two Atari games.  There was only one PC game; I was thinking of Tron 2.0 and Killer App, but the latter was only released for XBox.  There's a movie sequel in production.  There is also a current series of comic books.  And a number of fan websites, of course. 

So, yes.  You really can be a Tron geek. 

I do have to say, though, that there are some types of geeks missing.  Where's the knitting geek?  The LotR geek?  The MATH geek, for Pete's sake.  How could you forget the math geek? 

I would say that if I could define my own geekiness, I would have to be a sumptuous blend of history geek, gamer geek, and knitting geek.  I also have an unnatural amount of academic knowledge about Autism spectrum disorders and non-standard sexual practices.  I'm not really sure what that last one says about me.  I blame you guys.  If it weren't for this board, I wouldn't find myself always having to google stuff like "female prostate."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 06:39:10 pm »

Seems like one could probably make a porn adaptation of Rainman, thereby combining a couple of one's Interests.

Think I'll stop while the stopping's good.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 10:45:53 am »

This taxonomy of geeks seems queer.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 03:06:01 am »

It would seem that there is a geek not pictured. The geek geek.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The 56 Geeks
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 03:10:02 am »

It would seem that there is a geek not pictured. The geek geek.

Uh... bottom right. The artist painted himself.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up