Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Eureka Stockade  (Read 6897 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Eureka Stockade
« on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:11 pm »

Somehow, in my primary education days Down Under, I managed to miss any reference to a rebellion that occurred in 1854 against England.  It may have been that my school, being in the tradition of English Boys' Public education, didn't think that was something I needed to worry about.  Or I could have been considering the likelihood of getting my face pounded in at recess.  Regardless, a random messageboard post elsewhere implied that its likely that Australia will cease being a Commonwealth nation and become an independent republic - and that when that comes to pass the Union Jack in the canton will be replaced by the Eureka Stockade banner, thus:


It seems to me the overall design would be sort of redundant then, since the Southern Cross is already on the fly of the flag - but anyway, has anyone heard of the Aussies really being serious about independence?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:15:01 pm »

Somehow, in my primary education days Down Under, I managed to miss any reference to a rebellion that occurred in 1854 against England.  It may have been that my school, being in the tradition of English Boys' Public education, didn't think that was something I needed to worry about.  Or I could have been considering the likelihood of getting my face pounded in at recess.  Regardless, a random messageboard post elsewhere implied that its likely that Australia will cease being a Commonwealth nation and become an independent republic - and that when that comes to pass the Union Jack in the canton will be replaced by the Eureka Stockade banner, thus:


It seems to me the overall design would be sort of redundant then, since the Southern Cross is already on the fly of the flag - but anyway, has anyone heard of the Aussies really being serious about independence?

Hopefully they have better luck than the welsh. The welsh separatist parties don't really get much action in elections so far as I can tell from reading the news over there. PLAID CYMRU!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:09:21 pm »

We had a referendum on becoming a republic nearly a decade ago now (or maybe even more) and it was defeated. The new PM has suggested we might have another one but I don't know how likely it is to go through.
While there's a definite feeling of independance from england here it's not really rabid enough thatpeople are protesting in the streets demanding we become a republic, as in most things I just don't think most Aussies care enough. Also it would mean we couldn't kick ass at the commonwealth games.
Also I doubt that would end up on our flag, at least I hope not.

Shame on you for not knowing about the stockade though Jaydub, but then I guess I was being educated in melbourne around that age and it happened near there so it's a bit more into their local history.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:05:56 am »

Consider me chastened.  I know all about Ned Kelly though!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 01:48:45 am »

jay, do you still have Australian citizenship, or did you relinquish it to become American as a kid?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 02:49:01 am »

Consider me chastened.  I know all about Ned Kelly though!

Hey, I just read a book about him!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 02:53:13 am »

Hey, I just read a book about him!

One of my friends is studying in Canberra and was tellin' us about him. Craaaaazy. He also told us about the Aussie guy who murdered tons of hitchhikers and buried them in a national forest.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 04:54:21 am »

jay, do you still have Australian citizenship, or did you relinquish it to become American as a kid?
Its kind of a gray area in my life.  I was born in the US, moved there as a 4-year old and was technically there long enough to become naturalised - but no paper was ever filed and the issue never really came up until I was an adult.  I suppose if I ever decided to take a job there I would owe penalties for skipping elections over the last 20 years.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 04:52:03 pm »

Heath Ledger played Ned Kelly in 2003

Quote
Its kind of a gray area in my life.  I was born in the US, moved there as a 4-year old and was technically there long enough to become naturalised - but no paper was ever filed and the issue never really came up until I was an adult.  I suppose if I ever decided to take a job there I would owe penalties for skipping elections over the last 20 years.

So, voting is compulsory? That sucks.

Also, could someone lay out for me how commonwealth nations are dependent on the Crown? I don't understand it. Y'all have your own elected officials, militaries, and laws, right? How would independence change things for you?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 04:55:21 pm by AlohaDawg »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:05:37 pm »

Well that's kind of the argument against it I guess.
It's (more or less) a purely ceremonial thing. That said we do still have a Governer General, this is a position appointed by the Prime Minister but who acts as a representative of the Queen. In theory they are the ones who allow a Prime Minister to form government and can dissolve a parliament/dismiss a prime minister etc. It's kind of like a president but if their only job was to keep tabs on congress rather than being the leader of the country.
Actually when I said it's just ceremonial that wasn't entirely true, Australia's prime minister Gough Whitlam was dismissed by the GG back in the late 70s, so there are real world powers there, they are just rarely exercised.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 11:16:51 pm »

It looks like being Australia's PM is less corrosive to one's health than being the President of the US.  Whitlam's still alive (contemporary of Gerald Ford), as are all four of his successors and the new guy.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 03:19:44 am »

So, voting is compulsory? That sucks.

Voting itself isn't compulsory.  It's compulsory to turn up to a polling booth on election day and get your name crossed off the electoral roll.  You don't have to actually vote.  Anyway, I think that having compulsory voting tends to make the average person more politically aware, because if you have to walk to a polling booth, hey, you may as well make your vote count instead of turning in a blank ballot or donkey voting.  Even if you don't show up they only fine you like fifty bucks or something.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 04:49:27 am »

Yeah, I know a guy who moves town every few years and has never bothered registering to vote. They're not exactly the narc squad or anything in hunting these guys down.
Compulsory voting ain't so bad, it means the zealot crowd doesn't have quite so much influence though to a certain extent I guess it means people also think less about who they vote for.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 07:11:05 am »

Perhaps, but isn't attaching a cost to a non-vote the same as attaching a price to a vote? If a vote has value, don't you automatically make it susceptible to corruption?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka Stockade
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 10:20:53 am »

I'm not sure fining someone for not voting is the same as giving a vote value.
Anyway it would be more accurate to say that it gives going to the trouble of hauling your ass to a voting booth and back value since how you vote has no influence on the fine so long as you do vote.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up