Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Ike Turner dead  (Read 23136 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2007, 07:57:32 pm »

You did, and I applaud you for it. I also applaud you for comparing Kurt Loder to Osama bin Laden. They both share the ability to taunt death with occasional appearances to confirm they are still alive.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2007, 08:25:40 pm »

Linnea: You'll see I already tried that trick. Time to try it again. Sorry, limmo. We can get into a pissing contest another time, maybe?

Nah, let's just do it now!  Never Mind the Bollocks shits on anything the Clash did from a height of several hundred feet!  Whee!  This is fun!

Seriously, though: I tarred you unfairly as a subscriber to the dopey meme "The Sex Pistols were not a punk band." For that, I apologize. 

I also don't particularly care about the Clash vs. Sex Pistols punkier-than-thou thing.  The first three Clash albums were quite a thing, though I seldom listen to them as much as the Pistols album. ( And The Buzzcocks wiped the floor with both of them, so there you go. )

However: you ( and by "you," melack, I don't mean you ) can perform all the Cirque du Soleil-level mental gymnastics you want to convince yourself that "The Sex Pistols were not a punk band", but that still doesn't make it true, any more than "the sky is not really blue" or "Republicans care about the environment."   Because they were.  Q.E.D.  I would commend Julien Temple's film The Filth and the Fury , which documents the state of panic that one little band brought to an entire country, to the attention of those who disagree. 

If Kurt Loder is an imaginary cultural artifact, then why has he aged so much less gracefully than the Easter Bunny?

Ike Turner: kind of a dick.  And, yes, it sucks that he's dead -  in an agnostic sense, he's lost the only thing anybody really ever has.



Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2007, 08:33:26 pm »

Agree to disagree. Also, I have to disagree about Kurt Loder, too. The dude was like 90 years old when he first started with MTV, so he's what, 115 now? The dude looks awesome for a 115 year old man.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2007, 08:35:46 pm »

Agree to disagree. Also, I have to disagree about Kurt Loder, too. The dude was like 90 years old when he first started with MTV, so he's what, 115 now? The dude looks awesome for a 115 year old man.

He's actually 127.  Dick Clark looks on in envy.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2007, 11:22:43 pm »

I have never heard of this man, and I do not really feel like I am missing out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2007, 11:36:05 pm »

I have never heard of this man, and I do not really feel like I am missing out.

Yeah, Kurt Loder was a VJ on MTV long before your time. How old were you when Cobain killed himself? (EDIT: Cobain shot himself on April 5, 1994. Theinev would have been around SIX YEARS OLD.) Because Loder was the one who broke the news on television. I always liked Loder, for some reason. The way he (and the network) presented himself made me think he was trustworthy. Weird.

Also, Kurt Loder was born in 1945, making him older than my father.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:40:12 pm by linnea »
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2007, 12:30:57 am »

Was he really a VJ? I figured he was always The News Guy.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2007, 12:47:58 am »

Was he really a VJ? I figured he was always The News Guy.

I seem to remember him hosting segments other than MTV News and also introducing videos. Maybe I am wrong, however?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2007, 04:05:12 am »

He wasn't even one of the original 5 VJs and I never liked him that much anyway.

Bring back Martha Quinn!

and also the game show "Remote Control".


Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2007, 04:06:23 am »

...also?

Liquid Television, for God's sake. That was sooo good.

Alex Winter's "The Idiot Box" would also be rad but admittedly perhaps too obscure.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2007, 04:18:07 am »

The only time I've ever seen more than 3 consecutive minutes of MTV was back when they used to show Monty Python's Flying Circus. I had never heard of Kurt Loder before this thread. Although his name did sound vaguely familiar so I must have heard it before out of context.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2007, 05:17:25 am »


Bring back Martha Quinn!


Dude, Martha Quinn probably looks like Joan Rivers now.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2007, 05:18:34 am »


Liquid Television, for God's sake. That was sooo good.


Yes.  Yes it was.  That was the last time I can remember voluntarily watching MTV before it became the Lil' Nephew network.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2007, 06:16:08 am »

Dude, Martha Quinn probably looks like Joan Rivers now.

To borrow from Fark: I'd hit it.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2007, 06:18:37 am »

And it hasn't even been the Lil Nephew Network in years... at least then, they still occasionally played videos and whatnot.

It seems to be that MTV is targeted specifically at upper-middle-class 11-year-old girls who wear ##### that say "Juicy" and can't wait until they're old enough to star in High School Musicals and reality shows and stuff.

Reality shows make me want to collapse the universe forever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up