Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking ahead to 2008  (Read 6745 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Looking ahead to 2008
« on: December 14, 2007, 10:21:22 pm »

We mentioned in another thread about the '07. How was your 2007 and what do you have planned for '08?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:30:32 pm »

2007 was a series of slow economic crumblings that all kinda built up onto each other. Other than financial/job-wise, my year wasn't bad. But money is a filthy whore and has treated me as such.

I'd like to finish my book in 2008 and I'd like to figure out a viable economic situation where I won't have to be living back East with my family in Little Falls in the year 2009. Because if next year goes as bad as this one money-wise... yeah. Yeeeeeeeah.

My goals are fairly simple.

I'd like to make a stable living as a story-maker and I'd like myself and the people I love to be healthy.

That's... all I'm asking for. I've had all the crazy demands of the world burned away.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:58:56 pm »

2007 had some really good things (finally confronting a lot of my buried issues and making some actual psychological progress, doing volunteering, being creative for the first time in a while) and some really chunk-blowing things (basically dropping out of graduate school, breaking up with long-time boyfriend, living at home most of the year). My goal is to keep the good things going but combine them with getting a job/guy/place of my own.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:09:38 pm »

My goal is to keep the good things going but combine them with getting a job/guy/place of my own.

In LA, right? Right? Please go to LA so I can live vicariously through you.

Nothing too horrible happened to me this year. Yet. (Knock on wood, still a few weeks left.)  Except that my health was crappy for the second half with nonlifethreatening but totally debilitating problems. It might be getting better now. Knock on wood.

The good things that happened were sort of mixed. Like I finally got a literary agent, but so far the effect of this is only that I don't have to spend time and effort looking for a literary agent anymore. And I got what is by any measure a fantastic steady freelance writing gig, but I never meant to be a journalist, I wanted to be a fiction writer, so I am perhaps not adequately thankful for this.

Also, not forgetting the earlier part of the year, I finally figured out how far I am NOT willing to go to work as an animal keeper--thank you for the lesson, horrible weekend aquarium job.

Hmm, come to think of it, my wish is the same as LFM's:


I'd like to make a stable living as a story-maker and I'd like myself and the people I love to be healthy.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:19:21 pm »

This year has been good to me. I would like to do something productive or fun with my summer instead of bumming around like I did last summer. I would like to be a little better about starting things earlier.

This year was good. I would like next year to continue being good. I am debating whether being General Manager of the radio station I work at would kill me. As of right now, there is not really anyone going for the job, and it might be really cool. I talked to the guy who does it this year, and he said "it's not as much work as you think, you just need to coordinate people." But I don't want to get in over my head. I am going to continue debating whether I want to try to live off-campus next year.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:42:21 pm »

2007: Got married. Had to live away from my wife for the first few months of our marriage. Finally got totally moved to Charlotte. Lost my best friend. Bought the house I intend to raise my children in. Found myself swamped by financial issues. Did a decent job setting myself up for success at work. My car decided it's time to start its slow death.

2008: Who knows, man. Couldn't get much better than 07, couldn't get much worse than 07.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:48:04 pm »

PS, Golfhaus, we need to find some kind of fun thing to do which is not awkward or creepy. We will hang out, you know?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:00:51 am »

2007: One full year of working for the US Postal Service.
2007: Only full year of working for the US Postal Service. Burned through a lot of my retirement. Finally giving up on living in Hawaii. Planning for a move of some household goods and family. Got rid of a lot of things.

2008: starts off with my family leaving me here and moving back to Ohio. Should end with me back in my desired career, making more money than I do here in a place that costs maybe 60-70% of what it costs here.

Next Thanksgiving in Chicago for the Mickey penis light up Michigan Avenue Parade. Christmas who knows where.



Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 01:12:15 am »

I just want to say that I spent a LOT of timing thinking how sad and awful AlohaDawg's situation is, and hoping that it all works out for him quickly, before I thought for even a split second, "Hey, I'll bet he has more time to post on the messageboard after his family moves."

I know, I am still a bad person.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 03:15:13 am »

2007 has been a pretty hideous year for me.  My business has failed and I am in financial ruin.

2008 should be better.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 05:33:12 am »

2007 has given me a lot of personal insight. I am also saddened at the misfortune that has befallen many of the folks here. Y'all are like a big imaginary family to me. I hope that things get better.

However, 2007 really sucked a lot. To set the tone for the year, I was dumped around New Year's by a boyfriend that I really adored, and then I had to put up with my shiteous boss for another 6 months before I finally said fuck it and walked. I was lured out of Alaska by the promise of a business partnership with my jerk father that he promptly rescinded after I got to Colorado. I'm glad the family business thing never happened, because I wouldn't want my livelihood dependent on such a flake. I was unemployed for over 4 months and got into a crap relationship w/ the SGC that was not in my highest and best interests. Thankfully, I got out of said relationship, and now I have a lovely job and a nice place to live. I get to hang out with my twin sister quite often, and my family and cats are in good health. Right now I'm happy, if a little impatient to get on with the next phase of my life (i.e., doing something cool like moving to Australia, grad school, meeting my "soul mate" - the term is cheezy but I still want one).

In 2008 my major goals are to lose weight and finish up all my psychological housekeeping so that I can prepare myself for a solid, healthy relationship with someone who is incredible, awesome, and loving. I also want to save up for a down payment and look into buying a small condo for myself. I also want to run a 9-minute mile (any runners who read this will laugh at this goal, but it's a good one for me) and to train for a half marathon someday soon. I want to get back into printmaking and maybe even rent some studio space for myself.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 05:40:02 am »

Quote
In 2008 my major goals are to lose weight and finish up all my psychological housekeeping so that I can prepare myself for a solid, healthy relationship with someone who is incredible, awesome, and loving. I also want to save up for a down payment and look into buying a small condo for myself. I also want to run a 9-minute mile (any runners who read this will laugh at this goal, but it's a good one for me) and to train for a half marathon someday soon. I want to get back into printmaking and maybe even rent some studio space for myself. is to eliminate everything which keeps me from being the master.

If you accomplish these things, I will be impressed with how rad your life is. We believe in you!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 05:28:45 pm »

My best friend just graduated this semester so Im looking forward to being knuckleheads from old times. This means I will be expanding my cigar collection and golfing... a lot.
Im constructing a plan for the next nine months that involves improving my financial position with gainful employment, independent studying that I've been restricted from doing for all of the previous years of my academic career, and building muscle mass. The idea being to be in a good place with myself when I return to college. Golf, lots of golf. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 05:31:04 pm »

2007: Moved houses, got knocked up again, wrote master's thesis (which hopefully will be in near-final draft stage by Dec. 31, as I promised my adviser it would be), watched my son go from being almost completely non-verbal on his second birthday to knowing a couple hundred spoken words and beginning to string them together into sentences.  Got into a debt management program to try and eliminate the $30,000 in credit card debt we accumulated when Pedro was out of work the first year we were married, followed by three years of unsuccessfully trying to sell a house we could no longer afford.  If nothing goes terribly wrong, we should be debt-free in five years, but it's not easy to see a huge chunk of money disappear into the ether every month, gone to pay for things we've already forgotten. 

Overall, a good year -- rough in spots, but lots of things are getting over with this year that I'm happy to have behind us. 

Goals for 2008: Defend thesis, have a baby -- preferably in that order.  Graduate.  Send Little P to full-day preschool.  Reduce debt.  Stick with my yoga class.  Knit more.  Worry less.  Finish unpacking.  Empty our storage unit.  Simplify, simplify. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Looking ahead to 2008
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 09:00:18 pm »

2007 has been busy.  Pretty good, I guess.  I've been pretty social, out doing things.  Mostly I work.  I got into wine.  Sleep in the first real bed I've owned in ten years, with my iPhone on the nightstand next to me (it sings me to sleep).  Sometimes I wake up next to a pretty girl and wonder "Who is this? How did she get here? How the hell am I going to get rid of the body?"

2008 - hope to achieve a better work/life balance.  Save more money.  Get back a huge chunk of money that I overpaid in taxes in 2007.  Finally buy decent furniture for my apartment. Travel more.  Get in better shape.  Spend less time on the computer, and more time playing video games.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up