Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A M2F sportswriter?  (Read 6226 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
A M2F sportswriter?
« on: December 17, 2007, 09:24:47 pm »

Did we talk about this?  I guess the story got buried by Mike Vick's off-season recreation.  Is Christine Daniels having success these days?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:15:03 pm »

Yeah, the two big sportstalk radio stations talked about it for one day, interviewed her the next and then... it wasn't much of a story after that. Pretty respectful stuff and I've heard her once or twice interviewed on those stations for reasons having nothing to do with sex or gender issues but... I dunno.

Los Angeles is a pretty socially liberal town, of course, and the fact that she had mostly covered soccer and a little baseball as a man instead of being a football locker-room reporter probably helped.

Only thing that struck me as odd was...

Why would you take a new last name with a sex-change? I don't know that many transgendered folk and I don't know any very well...

But wouldn't you keep your old last name? I mean, you're still your parents' child, either set of bits, yeah?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 04:50:19 am »

Yeah, the two big sportstalk radio stations talked about it for one day, interviewed her the next and then... it wasn't much of a story after that. Pretty respectful stuff and I've heard her once or twice interviewed on those stations for reasons having nothing to do with sex or gender issues but... I dunno.

Los Angeles is a pretty socially liberal town, of course, and the fact that she had mostly covered soccer and a little baseball as a man instead of being a football locker-room reporter probably helped.

Only thing that struck me as odd was...

Why would you take a new last name with a sex-change? I don't know that many transgendered folk and I don't know any very well...

But wouldn't you keep your old last name? I mean, you're still your parents' child, either set of bits, yeah?

A lot of people who have gender reassignment surgery end up getting whole new names for their new lives. Some people keep their same last name. It depends on the individual.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:42:26 pm »

But wouldn't you keep your old last name? I mean, you're still your parents' child, either set of bits, yeah?

Well, not everyone is that enthusiastic about their parents, you know?

I can definitely see changing your whole name in this situation. Why not start fresh?  It's hell on people who are Googling you trying to find friends from their childhood, but hey, it's no worse than women who change their last name when they get married, and a sex change is a bigger change than getting married.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:51:19 am »

Maybe her parents were not supportive and the name was not something that meant anything to her.

Maybe she wants a whole new life.

I'm glad I'll never go through this.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:09:16 am »

That's... yeah, that's the most logical explanation, I s'pose.

I dunno all that much about that subculture, I wasn't sure if it was A Thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 07:01:00 am »

It's a fair enough explanation for changing one's last name, but... why pick something as boring as Daniels?  I guess maybe she didn't want something that would draw any more attention to her than necessary, or something like that, but there are plenty of more surnames that are more interesting than that without being unduly bizarre.  Maybe Daniels has some personal meaning to her.  If it doesn't, though, I'd say she missed a huge opportunity with that one.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 07:40:27 am »

Not to mention that its a modified first-name-second-name.

There's something I don't get about having the two-first-name thing going on or... at least... going for it on purpose. If you're born with it, that's cool and everything but... c'mon... nothing says "character in a WB dramadey" than the ol' two-first-names trick.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:43:05 am »

We had a record at my radio station by a guy called "Christian Storm."
I thought that was a pretty good one.

My friend's last name is Boom, I've always liked that, too.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 07:55:06 am »

Quote from: theinevitable
We had a record at my radio station by a guy called "Christian Storm."

Yikes. With a name like that, you'd better either be a pro-wrestler or a soap opera star.

Otherwise, you're kinda screwed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 07:57:19 am »

If I was going to change my name, I'd go all out and choose something like Zeus De La Fontaine. But then again, I'm not having a pu$$y grafted onto my balls.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 08:10:22 am »

Quote
If I was going to change my name, I'd go all out and choose something like Zeus De La Fontaine. But then again, I'm not having a pu$$y grafted onto my balls.

This...

this made me laugh so hard that I started shaking for a second.

I had two windows open, and in one of them I was about to post a weird tangent about a girl that I like, and... I laughed so hard at this, the thing you said, that I decided not to post that other thing.
Because it... it made me re-think what I'm doing with my posts. The possibilities. The several thousand times since I registered here that I have Failed to Excel. You, sir, have excelled today.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 08:36:52 am »

I have a friend whose last name is Laser, and another friend whose boyfriend's last name is Dragon (although I'm not sure if it's actually spelled that way or not).  Of course, for all the best names the awesomeness kind of goes away if you just chose the name yourself.  You have to be born with them; otherwise it doesn't count.

At this point, I wrote something to the effect that real names are cool if they sound like they ought to be fake, while fake names are cool if they sound believable but still have a certain degree of weirdness, but it sounded too pompous so I deleted it.  I still think it's a valid point, though, even if I can't seem to articulate it well enough.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 02:13:44 pm »

Yikes. With a name like that, you'd better either be a pro-wrestler or a soap opera star.

Otherwise, you're kinda screwed.

Or a televangelist.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: A M2F sportswriter?
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 05:06:58 pm »

This...

this made me laugh so hard that I started shaking for a second.

I had two windows open, and in one of them I was about to post a weird tangent about a girl that I like, and... I laughed so hard at this, the thing you said, that I decided not to post that other thing.
Because it... it made me re-think what I'm doing with my posts. The possibilities. The several thousand times since I registered here that I have Failed to Excel. You, sir, have excelled today.

If any of that laughter came from the "pu$$y" part, I'm afraid I can't take credit for that. The censor doesn't like the V-word, I guess!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up