my parents surprised and disappointed us by telling us that none of our extended family would be coming this christmas, for the first time since... I was a tiny kid.
Then they surprised us again, by having our grandparents show up (they live in Chile). They normally come, so... it was kind of a confusing surprise.
I am going to give presents, receive presents, etc. My brother and I plan to play video games until late on christmas eve, to compensate for the fact that we are not sleeping in the same room (normally my aunt and uncle sleep in his room, and he sleeps in a sleeping bag on my floor.) He is growing into a man of few words and fewer expressed emotions, so I tried not to act like it was a big deal when he said that it was going to be sad sleeping in his own room on xmas eve.
I still need to shop for almost everyone on my list... up until today I've been freaking out about getting my mom a birthday present (her birthday was yesterday) because I feel like she never likes/enjoys what I get her. There are an awful lot of unread books on our shelves that were christmas/birthday presents to her, but she's just such a busy lady.
I do not know at all what our plans are for the night of... our normal traditions all revolve around all my little cousins being here, and wanting to decorate cookies for santa, &c. While they did that, we would play video games with our two uncles, or else I would talk to the younger uncle about how he grew up in LA in the 80s and consistently failed to go see bands I love, "all my friends were into those bands, but I just didn't like going to concerts. I did see The Clash, though." I am sad that I won't get to see his two little kids, one of whom I have never met as he is just a few months old. The other one was just starting to walk when I saw him last, and now is apparently really into talking about everything and asking questions about the world. People keep saying he reminds them of me when I was that age, which is nice to hear.